Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening all,

Recently I started to play warhammer 40K again. I've only played 6th edition games. So I'm new to 7th ED.

This list is mainly for semi-competitive games with occasionaly every 3 months a local tournament.
I purely play for fun but I would be lying if I don't like winning awell..don't we all? :)

Mainly I'll be facing Space Marines, Space Wolves, Tau, Eldar and Orks

So here it goes:

HQ
Chaos Lord (185 pts)
MoN, Bike, VotLW, Sigil of Corruption, Burning Brand of Skalanthrax, Power Fist

Daemon Prince (355 pts)
MoN, 3 mastery levels, Power Armour, Black Mace, Wings, Spell familiar

TROOPS
10x Chaos Cultists (incl. Champion) (50 pts)

7 Plague Marines: Champion with Melta Bombs and Combi-melta, 2x meltagun, Chaos Rhino with Dirge Caster (243 pts)
7 Plague Marines: Champion with Melta Bombs, 2x Plasmagun, Chaos Rhino with Dirge Caster (243 pts)

FAST ATTACK
6 Chaos Bikers: MoN, VotLW, Champion with Melta Bombs, Combi-melta, 2x meltagun (201 pts)

Helldrake with Baleflamer (170 pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Maulerfiend with Magma cutters (125 pts)

FORTIFICATIONS
Aegis Defense Line with Quad Gun (100 pts)

Total of 1847 points.

Thanks in advance.

PS: sorry if I made some spelling mistakes
Cheers

·
Registered
773 Posts
The army looks pretty standard and good. Should do well.

Only real change some may advocate if Be'lakor rather than the Daemon Prince of Nurgle. That will give you Invis and Shrouding by default. Also would be 5pts cheeper
You could drop the Heldrake if you wanted for a 3rd Mauler. Personally I have never really had much use out of Heldrakes, but I know some who love them to death (though not as much since their gun became hull mounted rather than turret) though personally I love maulers.
That would free up another 45pts.
The Chaos Lord could really do with having a Lightning Claw and Blight Grenades as well.
So if you made those changes about you are looking at having 30pts to spare because of the changes, and you had 3 to begin with. So could upgrade your cultists to having an additional 4 extra guys in each of the units, and still have 1pt remaining.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. However we are not allowed to use dataslates at the tournament so guess Bel'akor is out. I used to field 2 Helldrakes and the reason I now field one is because its a firemagnet that doesn't die easily and still deals a fair amount of damage especially because I'm facing Space Marines. I would love the lightning claw but my Chaos Lord allrsy has two weapons, a power fist and the burning brand of ska. So not sure what I would do. Gonna put in the blight grenades tho.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I would love the lightning claw but my Chaos Lord allrsy has two weapons, a power fist and the burning brand of ska. So not sure what I would do.
Well, thanks to buying a bike, he also has a twin-linked bolter on the bike he can swap for a weapon. According to some FLGSes, at least--it's a bit of a fuzzy spot in the rules, so I like to get approval from my opponent before running such a combo.

It's a small point, and probably just down to how it's written, but do keep in mind that the DP doesn't get the MoN--he gets the DoN upgrade.

Still, like they say, the list looks pretty damn solid, to me...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah the bike rule is a bit wierd. It seems to be a transitive property thing. If you look at chaos space marine bikers. They are allowed to have a flamer, melta or plasma replace the bikes twin linked bolters or their close combat weapon. This means they have a bolt pistol, cc weapon & the bikes gun.
In the wargear list the character can replace his bolt pistol and/or his close combat weapon with the powerfist and lightning claw. While the Chaos Artifacts replace 1 weapon. What as the bike has a fitted twin-linked boltgun on, could be replaced with BBOS.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Ah, but the thought experiment I've always wondered about... if you're allowed to swap that t-l bolter for any weapon, can you replace it with a power fist? How does that work? And how do you model that on the bike? Hah...

·
Registered
773 Posts
You couldn't the TL Bolter swap it for a Power Fist or Lightning Claw because you can only get them by trading in your CC Weapon and/or Bolt Pistol. BUT you could have a Black Mace or Axe of Blind Fury or even Scrolls of Magnus... :p (Chaos artefacts replacing a weapon)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, thanks to buying a bike, he also has a twin-linked bolter on the bike he can swap for a weapon. According to some FLGSes, at least--it's a bit of a fuzzy spot in the rules, so I like to get approval from my opponent before running such a combo.

It's a small point, and probably just down to how it's written, but do keep in mind that the DP doesn't get the MoN--he gets the DoN upgrade.

Still, like they say, the list looks pretty damn solid, to me...
Not sure if they will allow it at the tournament so to be sure I think I'll just keep it as it is.

Yup I know the difference between MoN and DoN meaning no +1 thoughness but shrouded right? ;)

Like I said earlier, the Helldrake is a fire magnet. I know it's not as good as it used to be since now you have to plan your move with it and vectorstrike got a bit nerfed. But lets be honest. It used to be OP for its costs right? I still think its a hard unit to kill tho and it brings fear in my Space Marines opponents eyes ;).

I did make some adjustments to the list tho, here it is:

HQ
Chaos Lord (170 pts)
MoN, Bike, Sigil of Corruption, Lightning claw, Power Fist, Blight Grenades

Daemon Prince (355 pts)
MoN, 3 mastery levels, Power Armour, Black Mace, Wings, Spell familiar

TROOPS

7 Plague Marines: Champion with Melta Bombs and Combi-melta, 2x meltagun, Chaos Rhino with Dirge Caster (243 pts)
7 Plague Marines: Champion with Melta Bombs, 2x Plasmagun, Chaos Rhino with Dirge Caster (243 pts)

FAST ATTACK
6 Chaos Bikers: MoN, Champion with Melta Bombs and Power Axe, Combi-melta, 2x meltagun (216 pts)

Helldrake with Baleflamer (170 pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT

FORTIFICATIONS
Aegis Defense Line with Quad Gun (100 pts)

Total of 1847 points.

Thinks that changed are:
- Chaos Lord: removed burning brand of ska and gave him a ligthning claw, removed VoTLW, added Blight grenades.
- Chaos Biker Champion: gave him a Power Axe, removed VoTLW.

Since my Lord will get Challenged in CC my Biker Champion will still dish out some damage with his Power Axe.

What you guys think?

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I am not sure how I feel about the Daemon Prince...

I like it in principle, and I have been running a very similar one for the longest time. But I do think that 7th hasn't been nice to that set-up. I would almost drop the Blackmace and keep the Prince Flying as a 'Gun-Boat' (Or even give it the Burning Brand to add to the shooting).

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I like it in principle, and I have been running a very similar one for the longest time. But I do think that 7th hasn't been nice to that set-up
On the contrary - For a close combat Daemon Prince, 7th is quite good to us if you go Nurgle. It having Shrouded gives it a 2+ cover save when jinking, so you can just stay out of the air, jink your way as a jump troop across the board and smash face as they try to get through your 2+ cover save.

Granted, you can't fly up, get down and smash but this works nearly as well - If you want to go shooty-prince, then flying it way better though.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
On the contrary - For a close combat Daemon Prince, 7th is quite good to us if you go Nurgle. It having Shrouded gives it a 2+ cover save when jinking, so you can just stay out of the air, jink your way as a jump troop across the board and smash face as they try to get through your 2+ cover save.
Ok.. now that is something I didn't even think about..

I will have to re-think my current dislike of Daemon Princes!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah the bike rule is a bit wierd. It seems to be a transitive property thing. If you look at chaos space marine bikers. They are allowed to have a flamer, melta or plasma replace the bikes twin linked bolters or their close combat weapon. This means they have a bolt pistol, cc weapon & the bikes gun.
In the wargear list the character can replace his bolt pistol and/or his close combat weapon with the powerfist and lightning claw. While the Chaos Artifacts replace 1 weapon. What as the bike has a fitted twin-linked boltgun on, could be replaced with BBOS.
I thought that their pistol WAS their Close Combat Weapon? Or they traded their Pistol for a Close Combat Weapon? Shall have to double check my Codex.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I thought that their pistol WAS their Close Combat Weapon? Or they traded their Pistol for a Close Combat Weapon? Shall have to double check my Codex.
In the case of the characters of chaos they all get both as standard but have no bolters. But can just upgrade to have a chaos bike without losing anything.
In the case of CSM Bikers they get Bolt Pistol, CC Weapon, Frag, Krak, Bike and Power Armour... So Chaos bikers are pros who drive no handed :p.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.