2 Heavy Bolters

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad-190 pts
4 Plasma cannons

Devastator Squad-150 pts
4 Heavy Bolters

Predator-95 pts
Heavy Bolter side sponsons

Tac squads and command squad attack the objective. The bikers bust tanks. The Predator goes for small transports and the devastators kill whats inside. The Landspeeders aim for guys in cover and the scouts snipe out enemy heroes. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
HQ:
Company Master-115 pts
Power Weapon
Looking pretty good, if you have a few spare points then might I suggest swapping the company masters power weapon out for a lightning claw? (Or a pair if you have a few more points on top of those spare points; an extra shot can be cool, but a pair of claws retains that power weapons extra attack along with the lightning claw re-roll buff.)

Command Squad-170 pts
Company Master
Power Weapon
Plasma gun
Melta gun
-Rhino-35 pts
Is that company master supposed to be company champion? It confused me at first, because the master is four times the cost of the champion and all that.

Dark Angels are very well known for being able to make use of a higher volume of plasma weaponry fluffwise, but in this list I would very much advise against it. Plasmaguns are both expensive, and rapid fire; that first one means less points to spend elsewhere, and the second means that if it shoots, no charge for the squad and the company champion is wasted.

I would suggest either swapping out for a second meltagun (redundancy never hurt chances of doing damage) or trading the second special weapon in for an apothecary to give the squad feel no pain. He would cost you a few more points, but is definitely worth it to increase their survivability.

Elites:
(5)Scout Squad-125 pts
4 Sniper Rifles
Missile Launcher
I rather like sniper scouts with an attached missile launcher, dislike that you have to pay for the rifles (these guys are already stealing an elite slot!)

However it does look like you are paying to much for the squad, four sniper rifles and one missile launcher should come out to half the total points of the base squad, meaning your paying 120 points, not 125. (Hey look at that, actually squeezed some points out of this list.)

Troops:
(10)Tac Squad-175 pts
Multi-melta
-Rhino-35 pts

(10)Tac Squad-175 pts
Multi-melta
-Rhino-35 pts

(10)Tac Squad-175 pts
Multi-melta
-Rhino-35 pts
Personally, while these three squads do give you bodies there is not a whole lot you can do with them. I would very much advise replacing them with four five man squads armed with power weapons, meltabombs, and flamers or with meltaguns and powerfists.

If you did that, I would suggest the following:
2x Tactical squad
Meltagun; powerfist; razorback

2x Tactical squad
Flamer; power weapon; meltabombs; rhino

Comes out to 650 points total, which is slightly more than your 630, but you have four squads, and four vehicles (two of which have heavy weapons they can make use of.)

The biggest problem Dark Angels suffer over other marine codecies right now is the points they have to pay for everything. Nothing is free, and most things are overpriced in comparison.

Fast Attack:
Ravenwing Bikers-195 pts
Attack bike w/ Multi-melta
2 Melta guns
Melta bombs

Ravenwing Bikers-195 pts
2 Melta guns
Melta bombs
Like these squads, maybe ditch the meltabombs for the points to use elsewhere?

(2)Ravenwing Landspeeders-150 pts
2 Heavy Flamers
2 Heavy Bolters
Like these two, wouldn't change anything

Heavy Support:
Devastator Squad-190 pts
4 Plasma cannons

Devastator Squad-150 pts
4 Heavy Bolters
These two squads I would suggest losing a heavy weapon each. Four big guns means a lot of potential kills, but at five strong you don't have many ablative wounds before you risk losing those guns. Two bolter bodies is better than a single one, plus would give you forty points to spend elsewhere and make any of the possible alterations I suggested before.

Predator-95 pts
Like this, would not change it; though it does suffer from overpriced as I mentioned before.

Whoa wait a second..

HQ: 320
Elites: 120
Troops: 630
Fast Attack: 540
Heavy Support: 435

Total: 2045

Way over 1850, something needs to go (losing a biker squad actually brings you down to 1850 on the dot.) I personally would suggest ditching the command squad; your total drops to 1840 and you have a few more points to work with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HQ:

Company Master-130 pts
Pair of Lightning claws

Elites:

Scout Squad-120 pts
4 Sniper Rifles
Missile Launcher

Troops:

(5)Tactical squad-125
Meltagun
Powerfist
-Razorback-50 pts

(5)Tactical squad-125
Meltagun
Powerfist
-Razorback-50 pts

(5)Tactical squad-115 pts
Flamer
Power weapon
Meltabombs
-Rhino w/ storm bolter-40 pts

(5)Tactical squad-115 pts
Flamer
Power weapon
Meltabombs
-Rhino w/ storm bolter-40 pts

Fast Attack:

Ravenwing Bikers-190 pts
2 Melta guns

Ravenwing Bikers-190 pts
2 Melta guns

2 Heavy Flamers
2 Heavy Bolters

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad-165 pts
3 Plasma cannons

Devastator Squad-135 pts
3 Heavy Bolters

Predator-95 pts

Used the 10 extra points for storm bolters on the rhinos :grin:
Company master goes with 1 of the rhino squads

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Personally, despite it being Dark Angels I rather like it. The higher point costs mean your gonna suffer a bit in the numbers or effectiveness department; something you can plainly see by the setups. (The ten man squads with one heavy weapon and a transport were running you in excess of two hundred points while the five man squads with close combat and support weapons, along with a transport, run you between 150 and 175 points.)

Overall it looks pretty cool, seven five man squads, one company master, two groups of bikers, two skimmers, four transports and one tank will look great on the board.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fast Attack:

Ravenwing Bikers-190 pts
2 Melta guns

Ravenwing Bikers-190 pts
2 Melta guns

2 Heavy Flamers
2 Heavy Bolters
Sorry to Burst your bubble, but if I'm not mistaken, if you wish to use 2 Landspeeders and both have heavy flamers and heavy bolters, you have to use them as seperate squads as it says '1 speed can be upgraded with' ... and if you choose to use them as seperate squads, then you have 4 fast attack options. I know that is very nit-picky, and if its just a friendly game then by all means it will be fine. But technically in the codex only 1 Speeder in a squad can have a heavy flamer. One of the bigger downsides about the old DA codex.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
And thats why its good to get insight from more than one person; not being a Dark Angel player I just glazed over that bit.

Maybe consider dropping a biker squad in order to allow you to fit the second speeder in that Fast Attack slot and use most of those open points to get the biker squad a land speeder of its own? With the remaining points you could give on the of the five man squads five more guys with a heavy weapon, meaning more bodies and another heavy weapon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about a Venerable dreadnought with a plasma cannon and heavy flamer for 150 pts? Then I don't have to take out any of the bike squads. :grin:

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
If your going to sub the speeders out for a dreadnought I would say keep the storm bolter over the heavy flamer. Its great for when you come in real close, but with no drop pod to get him in fast, thats an extra two shots your not shooting into light armour or some infantry.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Use the Vanilla codex and you can get the same army with higher WS, the ONLY reasons to use the old DA codex is for Death wing assault or for the characters.

1 your scouts would be troops, and your CM would have a WS of 6 instead of 5.

2 no reason to try and run all that Fast attack in those slots, if you like bikes and speeders take the Master of the Raven wing, then all you bikes and speeders are troop choices and scoring units. yeah you can take objectives with your bikes and speeders.

But in truth, i run dark angels and i run them out of the Vanilla codes because there inst anything of much it cant do with better rules than the DA one, the sternguard are wayyyyy better than dark angel vets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts