Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to test my wings with the minis I have available this weekend, I think. Still haven't been able to break in the 'dex.

1850 Khorne Daemonkin
Blood Host Detachment

Slaughter Cult

135 - Lord w/ MoK, Axe of Ruin

180 - 8 CSM w/ MoK, melta, champ w/ meltabombs, Rhino
225 - 10 CSM w/ MoK, 2x plasma, Rhino

185 - 5 Possessed w/ MoK, Rhino

32 - 1 Spawn w/ MoK
32 - 1 Spawn w/ MoK

Gorepack

96 - 3x Bikers w/ MoK, 2x melta

80 - 5x Flesh Hounds
80 - 5x Flesh Hounds
80 - 5x Flesh Hounds
80 - 5x Flesh Hounds

3x War Engines

140 - Maulerfiend w/ Lasher Tendrils
155 - Soul Grinder of Khorne w/ Torrent
155 - Soul Grinder of Khorne w/ Torrent

-----

I'd be interested to see what analysis folks have of the "minimum 2 BL, CSM, or Zerker squads" folks have. A full on CSM squad is a bit pricey, and I was considering taking 2 Bloodletter and a Cultist squad in its place. But then the question is--if I already have 2 Bloodletter squads, why bother with the first squad of CSM, then? Can't I distribute those points more usefully? Whereas 2 squads of CSM in Rhinos are still a decent 4 possible Blood Points, and taking more decent melee troops, Fearless as Bloodletters now are, still doesn't give me that melta and plasma.

Thoughts, generally?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Blooooooood!

Played a game against a Khan biker meltagrav list. Had tweaked the list slightly to drop the Spawn for filling out the 1st squad of CSM (Lord went in the Possessed instead), and adding 2 Flesh Hounds.

Game went swimmingly. Generated about 15 Blood Points and cashed them in for Bloodletters and Flesh Hounds almost as fast as my opponent could kill them. Challenges everywhere, controlled the Maelstrom board to score a bunch, and he conceded after my T5 when a convergence of bloody remnants of my units wiped out Korsarro and his embroiled unit, leaving him with a 1 squad of bikers and a thunderfire cannon still on the board. Getting Furious Charge and Rage meant that his T5 bikers, as soon as he got bogged down into combats (and didn't hit and run away), got charged by lots of my fast small units, swamping them with handfuls of dice hitting on 4s and wounding on 4s and 5s, forcing enough saves to trample their corpses into the mud.

Was also gratifying to see half a dozen meltas, 2 plasmas, and 2 Harvester Cannons strip a Knight to 0 hull points in a single phase of shooting. Bloooooooood! BLOOOOOOOD!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks like a nice force. The whole thing with people thinking "OMG you haven't taken many troops choices, how will you win objectives." only applies to normal CAD and AD formations that have Objective Secured. If not then get whatever you want.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Rhinos still scored most of my "Secure Objective ___" points, honestly, while everything else was up front. Not having ObSec against Khan's bike Troops hurt a bit, but I could swamp whatever objective I needed in extremis and just plain hack my foe's minis off it. It helped that my opponent had deployed the objectives skewed to one end of the (Hammer & Anvil deployment map) table, then lost the roll off to pick sides... so he had to pass through my wall of choppy flesh to get access to the 4 or so objectives under my control.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
BLOOOOOOODDDD!!! War is won by killing the opponent! What's this objective stuff you talk about?? Great battle! The ragged remnants of your army still blindly charging headlong are glorious to imagine! BLOOOOOOOODDDD!!!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Another weekend, another game. Played an iteration of this with 2 Gorepacks and no Daemon Engines.

Came up against Necrons toting a Firebase Cadre, and 2 squads of Wraiths (about 520 points, IIRC) tied up my entire 1850 point army all game, whittling their way through. That was... fun...

By game end, I'd killed 3 Wraiths and had a couple at 1 wound; I'd killed an Immortal, 2 Scarab bases, and 2 Tomb Blades--with my melee army that spent almost every assault phase with almost every unit in my army in combat, no less--and had lost my Possessed, 30-odd Flesh Hounds, 10 Bloodletters, 15 CSM, 8 Bikers, 2 Rhinos...

T5, followed by 3++, followed by 4+ (most of the time rerolling 1s), is woefully durable. I guess GW wants my melee army to spend its whole game in grinding girdlock getting slowly whittled to bits--assuming it gets into combat at all, given Eldar being a Thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just started playing again after a hiatus and getting comfortable playing in general. I won my first game out of 10 and it was awesome. But I'm scared to play at the shop knowing how many Eldar players are there now...

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just started playing again after a hiatus and getting comfortable playing in general. I won my first game out of 10 and it was awesome. But I'm scared to play at the shop knowing how many Eldar players are there now...
Well, against Eldar players you have a few choices:

1) refuse to play them. It won't win you any friends, but I think enough players are feeling like whipped dogs that they'll understand. This can be done softly such as "aim for players who you know aren't playing Eldar when people are pairing up/set something up beforehand," or just a flat out ultimatum.
2) look into your motivations for playing and decide whether winning is your motivation, or simply serving Khorne through blood spilled is, and decide to go for it... but make your own parameters for how you have fun, and don't go into it with the expectation of your army surviving. You can harass eldar players about their favorite flavors they play with--cheddar? Brie? Gouda? What is their go-to cheese? Go into the match with the specific aim of "earn slay the warlord" or some such, perhaps.
3) Grit your teeth, lie back, and, well... we're both from the US so "lie back and think of England" doesn't get us very far.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Eldar can be a bit of a shit at times as can Tau. But I'm sure there is gunna be a big shift in the way they play with the new dex, and maybe things like taking loads of Fleshhounds will work against them for a while as you can get in combat quick enough and eat them alive. Of course those Knights and Lords might be an issue with that tactic, but how much damage can they do if you just lock them down for ages.
I'm still thinking go for 3 Void Shield Generators and then laugh at them as the whole first turn for them is spent trying to knock them down before they can get a kill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts