Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what I'm planning is to have the Librarian roll with the HG and have the Assault Squads fly up the sides and each will have a priest, the DC and Dread will go in the Stormraven which will hopefully get them into combat by turn 2.

Librarian-175
-Epistolary
-Jump Pack

Honour Guard-270
-Jump Packs
-Power Weapons x5
-Chapter Banner

2xSanguinary Priest-195
-Jump Pack x2
-Infernus Pistol
-Power Weapon x2

Assault Squad-235
-Additional Marines x5
-Powerfist
-Meltagun x2

Assault Squad-225
-Additional Marines x5
-Powerfist
-Meltagun

Assault Squad-235
-Additional Marines x5
-Power Weapon
-Flamer
-Infernus Pistol
-Meltabombs

Death Company-140
-Additional Marines x2
-Powerfist
-Infernus Pistol

Death Company Dreadnought-125
-Blood Talons

Stormraven Gunship-245
-Hurricane Bolters
-T.L Lascannon
-T.L Multi-Melta
-Extra Armour

So what do you think?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Sanguinary Initiate can't have a power sword as he's "different". Rather the same way you can't give a Sergeant the squad's heavy weapon. Honestly I'd drop them for Sanguinary Guard anyway. You'll save a ton of points and get scarier guys.

I'd also dump the Infernus Pistols from the RAS, DC and the Sanguinary Priest. They are overpriced toys suitable only for HQs. One extra CC attack is not worth the loss of range or extra cost.

Give the DCF a Heavy Flamer. Killing more baddies before you charge helps insulate you from bad Blood Talon luck.

Having the Hurricane Bolters and the Las/Melta on the Stormraven is kind of pointless. Three of your four weapons systems are purely anti-tank. Keep the Assault Cannons and then the Hurricanes make sense. Besides there are better places to spend 30 points. And as one of only two armored vehicles I'll bet dollars to donuts that it get shot down pretty damned fast.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I agree with snaguinary dan on this one. the storm raven, which holds the dread I'm guessing, will be shot down with the entire anti tank of the enemy army leaving the DC and dread (265pts together) foot slogging to get anywhere and with rage won't have a very good time getting to anything effective. I think if you were to take a stormraven it'd be better suited to a mech army where the anti tank would need to take on multiple units. Also if you do intend to keep it I would change the set up of the weapons to either all anti tank or all inti infantry

Librarian is good, although depending on what powers you decide on will depend on if the epostilary upgrade is worth it. something like shield and blood lance yes as lance can hit from decent range, if it's like sword and smite that's a bad idea then.

Honour guard can only have 4 power weapons. the sanguinary novitiate can't have upgrades. Also they will get ripped to bits by an MC or dread. if you really want to keep them I'd make 2 power weapons into fists and add in a melta. Although I'd go with Dan's idea and go for sanguinary guard. yes one less attack and no blood chalice but chapter banner, an infernus pistol and 2 fists in that squad make them at 255pts. cheaper than your honour guard, with 2+ save, master crafted power weapons and ap4 bolters.

priests drop the infernus pistol and they're solid. to fire one of them you have to be pretty close to the enemy and you don't want that guy going into combat first. he goes in in front of the squad he's attached he's in B2b contact with the enemy and be taken out. keep him out of the danger zone and keep him at the far end of the assault.

assault squads are good, first one is solid I run one identical myself often.
second one good but you should add in a second melta. if one misses it's nice to have a back up.
third one a bit all over the place. you drop the infernus pistol, meltabombs and power weapon and you have enough points for a pair of lightning claws and a second flamer in that squad. yes it'll struggle against mech but you need something to take things like large guard units, tyranids and orks and you already have a decent amount of everything else in there.

I think if you really want to keep the storm raven you will need to totally redo your list to a mech one, otherwise that entire 510pts unit ( being the dread DC and the raven together) is gonna be dropped at the start and basically lost to you.
there's a good start, you have the basics of a solid list down, just need to fiddle with some things to make it properly competitive :)

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
So what I'm planning is to have the Librarian roll with the HG and have the Assault Squads fly up the sides and each will have a priest, the DC and Dread will go in the Stormraven which will hopefully get them into combat by turn 2.

Librarian-175
-Epistolary
-Jump Pack

Honour Guard-270
-Jump Packs
-Power Weapons x5
-Chapter Banner
Replace Librarian with Librarian Dreadnought. Since you lack dreads pretty heavily, it costs the same. Add in a Captain with Power sword for your HQ. Put THESE in the Storm Raven. Not the DC.
2xSanguinary Priest-195
-Jump Pack x2
-Infernus Pistol
-Power Weapon x2
Remove all special weaponry from these. They will be picked out and killed early in HTH, so spending a lot of points on them is a waste.
Assault Squad-235
-Additional Marines x5
-Powerfist
-Meltagun x2

Assault Squad-225
-Additional Marines x5
-Powerfist
-Meltagun
I prefer PW/Meltabomb for my Sgt. but it's a matter of taste.
Assault Squad-235
-Additional Marines x5
-Power Weapon
-Flamer
-Infernus Pistol
-Meltabombs
Remove Entirely. You already have 2 combat squaddable troops to occupy objectives. Spend the points on a Captain (see above) and a second Furioso Dreadnought w/pod instead.
Death Company-140
-Additional Marines x2
-Powerfist
-Infernus Pistol
Remove infernus pistol. Useless to DC. Replace with Power Weapon. Add Razorback/rhino for transport.
Death Company Dreadnought-125
-Blood Talons

Stormraven Gunship-245
-Hurricane Bolters
-T.L Lascannon
-T.L Multi-Melta
-Extra Armour
Remove hurricane bolters. This is not an anti-personnel platform. Replace Multi-melta with Typhoon launcher. This will give you some flexibility and actually MORE AT power with 2x krak shots, or 2x defensive frag.
So what do you think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts