Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys I posted a list a while ago but have since found out the tournament I'm aiming for is likely to be 1850 points so I was wondering if you could help me out?

Hunter Contingent

HQ
Commander, Drone Controller, 2x Missile Pod, Target Lock, Neuroweb system Jammer

Elite
3x Man Battlesuit unit, Fusion Blaster/Plasma Rifle

Fast Attack
4x Marker Drone
4x Pathfinder Team

Troops
7x Strike Team
7x Strike Team
7x Strike Team

Heavy Support
x2 XV88 Broadside Battlesuits, HYMP, TWSMS, EWO

Fomations:

OSC
XV95 Ghostkeel Cyclic Ion Raker, EWO, VT, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
XV95 Ghostkeel Cyclic Ion Raker, Target Lock, VT, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
x3 XV25 Stealth Battlesuits, x2 Burst Cannon, Fusion Blaster

Riptide Wing
XV104 Riptide Stims, VT, Heavy Burst Cannon, Twin-linked Smart Missile System,
XV104 Riptide EWO, Ion Accelerator, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster

1850 exactly

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hunter Contingent

HQ
Commander, Drone Controller, 2x Missile Pod, Target Lock, Neuroweb system Jammer
Of all the wargear you could take for this Commander... Why the NSJ? Why are you going to be within 12" of any enemy when you're running 36" missiles and acting as the spotter for a Marker squad?

Honestly, if you're running the Hunter Contingent, I wouldn't bother with Marker drones or this particular set up. You're already embracing the Tau cheese, so go all out, and run the buffmander. No weapons, just all the wargear, since (depending on the tournament) the Hunter Contingent benefits from it all.

Elite
I'm a big believer in matched weapons. I'd rather see this squad with double fusion as a deep strike squad against armor. I suppose if you already have them, then fusion/plasma is at least the pairing with the most synergy.

Fast Attack
4x Marker Drone
4x Pathfinder Team
As stated, I'd probably run just Pathfinders here, and not use the Marker Commander. However, see below for another idea, also.

Troops
7x Strike Team
7x Strike Team
7x Strike Team
Sure. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Heavy Support
x2 XV88 Broadside Battlesuits, HYMP, TWSMS, EWO
Also solid.

OSC
XV95 Ghostkeel Cyclic Ion Raker, Target Lock, VT, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
I'm going to assume that you're running two Ghostkeels in squadron? The Formation is 1 unit of Ghostkeels and 2 units of Stealths. That would explain the Target Lock.

Riptide Wing
XV104 Riptide Stims, VT, Heavy Burst Cannon, Twin-linked Smart Missile System,
You know the Wing won't benefit from the Hunter Contingent, right? It doesn't count as any of the Super-Detachment auxiliary choices.

Basic thoughts will depend on your tournament rules and basic tactics, however you may have some better options.

I'm not a fan of the Riptide Wing simply because it's all the rage as 'must have cheddar' right now. It's a disgusting, brutal formation. That said, you're going to a tournament so might as well. Remember, like I said, it won't benefit from any of the bonuses from the Hunter Contingent.

I go back to my earlier question about the Commander; with very few exceptions I never see anyone run a Hunter Contingent without the Buffmander to throw out ridiculous amounts of support options. But if you're not going to use it, there's also another option instead.

Have you looked at Dawn Blade? You can still run the Hunter Cadre as your core choice. You have to add a few points because you need to give them all bonding knives, but you get a slightly better (imo) bonus instead. Each ENEMY turn you secretly nominate a target. on YOUR turn, reveal the target, and you get to reroll all wounds and penetrates against that one. It's the flip side to the +1 BS from the Hunter Contingent... instead of bonuses to hit (which your formations already give you), you get bonuses to wound.

Downside? Neither the OSC or the Riptide Wing qualify as your Auxillary, so you need another one. I'd recommend Drone Net XV1-0. It requires 4 squads of drones, but as long as 2 of these squads are still up, it adds +1 BS to ALL drones in the army (even missile drones or shielded missile drones). All 4 squads also get a ton of special rules, too. Take some as Marker Drones (peel one squad out of your Cadre), gun drones, whatever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like a bunch of your points and made some changes.

I actually really like the Riptide as a unit and a model so that coupled with the wings competitive value made it a no brained for me personally.

I like the plas/Fusion combo to deal with low ap/high toughness units and armour if needed but they are magnetised so it's not a problem to switch out.

It was 2 Ghostkeels in one unit which I really like but I had to drop one to make the changes. The System Jammer was because I had 2 points left and it can be useful against deep striking units like Stern guard.

I've switched to the Dawn blade and added the Drone net in for the auxiliary with a Piranha as the fast attack option.

Here's the updated list:

Dawn blade Continget (Everything has Bonding Knives):

Hunter Cadre
HQ
Commander, Drone Controller, 2x Missile Pod, Target Lock, Talisman of Arlas Moloc

Elite

Fast Attack
TX4 Piranha, Fusion Blaster

Troops
5x Strike Team
5x Strike Team
5x Strike Team

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside Battlesuits, HYMP, TWSMS, EWO

Auxilary:
Drone-net VX1-0
X4 Marker Drones
X4 Marker Drones
X4 Marker Drones
X4 Marker Drones

Fomations:

OSC
x3 XV25 Stealth Battlesuits, x2 Burst Cannon, Shas'ui, Fusion Blaster, Target Lock + Marker Light

Riptide Wing
XV104 Riptide, Stims, VT, Heavy Burst Cannon, Twin-linked SMS
XV104 Riptide, Stims, VT, Heavy Burst Cannon, Twin-linked SMS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts