Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a 1850 Clan Raukaan army list I'm planning on building eventually, as you'll tell I really love my Thunderfire Cannons, I was tempted to take two detachments of Space Marines so I could field 6.

HQ

Chapter Master - 295pts
- Bike, Artificer Armour, Thunder Hammer, Lightning Claw, Gorgon's Chain, Betrayer's Bane, Digital Weapons

Librarian - 350pts
- Bike, Level 2 Psyker
- Command Squad (Bikes, Company Standard, Apothecary, 4 grav guns)

Elites
5 man Sternguard Veteran Squad - 205pts
- x2 Meltaguns, x3 combi-metla, Drop Pod

5 man Sternguard Veteran Squad - 205pts
- x2 Meltaguns, x3 combi-metla, Drop Pod

Troops

6 man Bike Squad - 211pts
- x2 plasmaguns, x1 attack bike with multi-melta

6 man Bike Squad - 211pst
- x2 meltaguns, x1 attack bike with multi-melta

5 man Scout Squad - 70pts
- x5 snipers, x5 camo cloaks

Heavy Support

Thunderfire Cannon - 100pts

What're your opinions on it? Anything I should change? Units, different wargears/etc.?

Idea was to just, have the scouts and thunderfire cannons at the back on objectives etc. bolster defences gives my scouts 2+ cover save and the cannons a 3+ in ruins, hide the cannons out of LoS.

Bikers all move forward hunting vehicles and MCs, Chapter Master charging in with his commandsquad and such, with correct warlord trait and physic powers I could have him riding around with a 2+, 2++ and a 3+ FNP. Sternguards coming down and popping open any big vehicles and such, planting the drop pods on objectives if possible because they'll be scoring too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
B-b-b-but... there's no tanks.... :(

You just used a supplement for a gorgon chain, which I love, and the everlasting gobstopper of combi-meltas... but where have the tanks and dreads gone? So sad right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My original had 3 Dreadnoughts in drop pods, but I decided to take another squad of Sternguard and the Thunderfire Cannons instead. I love my Thunderfire cannons haha

·
Registered
90 Posts
First I'd like to say that the list itself looks pretty nice!
I too love TFCs, they can be incredibly effective at a whole host of tasks. Three of them is very sweet, I reckon 6 may induce a little gamer rage for a horde army!

I'd be tempted to switch out those meltas into combi's on those stern squads. I can see why you had them, the realiabilty of always having a melta in the unit can be very handy, but Stern ammo is just too good not to have in the enemy deployment zone. That way you aren't wasting your units firepower targeting another vehicle after the combi's have fired their load.

The melta bikes seem like a fair enough idea, but I'd swap the plasma unit into another grav unit. Similar ability, better in some cases without the risk of setting yourself on fire.

Honestly, never been a fan of sniper scouts, but thats more a personal thing. Besides, not sure where else to put the points, so seem fair.

But the biggest thing that sticks out to me is that this list doesn't seem to gain anything from being from clan Raukaan...besides the beatstick chaptermaster of course.
This is obviously a personal choice, so feel free to ignore, but this seems a lot more like a white scar list than iron hands. You have next to no vehicles or techmarines, so basically the only thing you are getting is the 6+ feel no pain...oh and IWND on the beatstick and the drop pods.

I can see what you're going for, and it looks awesome, but it might be worth considering another chapter tactic.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I too would consider the white scars tactics on this one. Nothing lost except the 2+/3++/4+++/5++++ character... who starts losing those benefits. One of which is Eternal Warrior. I'd just hate to see him take a few wounds to massed firepower then get insta-gibbed by a S10 or force weapon. The WS Chaptermaster with shield eternal doesn't get the buffed FNP or IWND but he also never loses EW and still has a 5+ FNP. You also lose your 25 point meltagun, which I think is a blessing and not a curse. You'll never fire the bolter half of that thing with a twin-linked bolter mounted on your bike anyway.

Other benefits would include no dangerous terrain tests and a buffed jink save for the whole army. Replace that libbie with Khan and now you get scout too. Which is huge! Better I'd say than deniable divinated grav guns... just assuming you'd want to twin-link those. Granted, you lose two of your own deny dice, but being able to relocate your army or charge close for an alpha strike is kind of a big deal.

And of course you could always run Khan and his boys and just ally in that Chapter Master and the Scouts from Raukaan. Now you have the best of all worlds minus the psyker.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was toying around with your idea a bit. If I was to run it, and had a hard-on for thunderfire cannons, here's what I'd do.

White Scars
HQ

Khan - 360
- Command Squad (Bikes, Apothecary, 4 grav guns)

Elites
5 man Sternguard Veteran Squad - 195pts
- x4 combi-metla, Drop Pod

5 man Sternguard Veteran Squad - 195pts
- x4 combi-metla, Drop Pod

Troops

5 man Bike Squad - 190pts
- x2 grav guns, x1 attack bike with multi-melta

5 man Bike Squad - 180pts
- x2 meltaguns, x1 attack bike with multi-melta

Heavy Support

Raukaan Allies
HQ

Chapter Master - 260pts
- Bike, Artificer Armour, Thunder Hammer, Lightning Claw, Gorgon's Chain

Troops

5 man Scout Squad - 70pts
- x5 snipers, x5 camo cloaks

Heavy Support

=1850

More cannons! Scout moves! Mobile jinking nastiness! Hit & Run antics! S5 Hammer of Wrath! The unkillable hero! 2+ cover scouts with a 6+ FNP!

I had to adjust some points on your melta bikes. You were paying too much. Also, the squads are down a model each. It does hurt their killy by a bolter and their resilience by a wound, but you should make a few more saves with a bumped up jink against low AP weapons anyway.

I lost a melta shot on each sternguard squad, but 4 should get your 3 hits, so you should at very least hull point armor to death. Digital weapons is also gone on the chapter master. It was pretty much a waste since the claw has shred and the hammer hits tanks on 3's. The only thing you'll miss out on is high WS walkers and MCs really. But even then, I doubt you'll ever notice it. I had to drop the company standard to make points for the last TFC too. Luckily you have Ld10 on the command squad and Ld8 still isn't terrible. Besides, they have ATSKNF so if they do decide to bolt, they'll be right back.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
:laugh: ...even though I know you copy+pasted it from the OP

Good list though! Faced my first TFC the other day, it did fuck all against my power armour then my Death Company (finally) charged it. Four of them would get some serious dice rolling though!

·
Registered
434 Posts
yeah man, love those metla guns. Ya'know the ones that get 6D2 when at 2/1 range.... english teacher! :p

And I'm surprised. Even without the AP, it should still get some hits and wound on 2's. And even if they don't, they make great back objective holders with their high toughness, decent saves, and bolstered cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts