Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Space Wolf Codex I bought and haven't used or built anything for them minus 5 Blood Claws so for me to start getting into them I figured I would throw in some with my Angels.
BA:
HQ:
Priest, Bolt pistol and chain sword, with The Angels Wing= 85pts

Elites:
10 Death Company Deep Striking, with 7 Chain swords, 1 power fist, 2 Power weapons, 10 bolt pistols= 255pts
7 Sanguinary Guard, Chapter Banner, 4 axes, 2 swords, 1 fist, 7 Angelus Boltguns (Priest drops with this squad who ups the weapon skill to 5 and adds 5+ FNP if the 2+ save doesnt work)=266pts

Troops:
5 scouts, 4 Sniper rifles, 1 sgt= 59pts
10 tactual squad, 1 sgt= 140pts

Heavy:
Stromraven gunship, Twin Assualt cannon, twin linked Multi melta, 4 missles= 200pts
Whirlwind= 65pts (just for fun really)

Space Wolves:

HQ:
Wolf lord on thunder wolf with Wolf claw and storm shield= 195pts

Troops:
5 grey hunters, Melta and a Rhino= 125pts

Fast:
6 Thunder Wolves, 1 Pack leader with thunder hammer, 3 wolf claws, 1 power axe, 1 power fist, 6 storm shields=460pts

So basically its a more fun list to use but i think there is some reall power here, dropping my elite BA units in his lines to steal objs or just kill, then my thunder wolves will also shred any they come against. with a 3+ save and a 3+ invul at toughness 5 whats not to love. What you guys think?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Priest, Bolt pistol and chain sword, with The Angels Wing= 85pts
86 points, stupid bolt pistol....

10 Death Company Deep Striking, with 7 Chain swords, 1 power fist, 2 Power weapons, 10 bolt pistols= 255pts
I guess Jump Packs too? I'd drop the Power Swords for a second Fist and 5 points for elsewhere.

7 Sanguinary Guard, Chapter Banner, 4 axes, 2 swords, 1 fist, 7 Angelus Boltguns (Priest drops with this squad who ups the weapon skill to 5 and adds 5+ FNP if the 2+ save doesnt work)=266pts
Fun times, though I personally think axes are a waste when there's 10 point Power Fists. If you're striking at AP2 I1, why not Sx2 as well? I'd run everyone with a Sword (except the dude with a Fist, obvs).

5 scouts, 4 Sniper rifles, 1 sgt= 59pts
No sniper rifle for the sergeant? :(

10 tactual squad, 1 sgt= 140pts
No special/heavy weapons OR metal boxes?? :( :(

Stromraven gunship, Twin Assualt cannon, twin linked Multi melta, 4 missles= 200pts
Always fun times, though I would take it with the Lascannon option since you have very little anti-armour outside of close combat.

Whirlwind= 65pts (just for fun really)
I would drop this for a Rhino and at least a Melta for the Tactical squad. Heavy Flamer too if you have it.

I'm not a SW player so I'll refrain from commenting on that side of things. Hope this stirs up some thoughts :eek:k:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, and nice catch on the axes, why have an axe at the same Ini when I can just have a fist that will wound on 2s and be ap2. will change that out

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Something else I have been doing:

Since Bolt Pistols are a stupid one point to gain your extra attack and you typically see Power Weapon upgrades on Priests so they kill better (because: WS6), I have been running mine with a Lightning Claw. They statistically outperform Power Swords despite always running an attack less thanks to Shred. Not that you need to do that here or anything, but in the instance you do want to get him some AP3 in CC (which really is where he stands the best chance of causing damage as a model) the Lightning Claw is a solid way to go without having to throw your list off by one stupid point.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something else I have been doing:

Since Bolt Pistols are a stupid one point to gain your extra attack and you typically see Power Weapon upgrades on Priests so they kill better (because: WS6), I have been running mine with a Lightning Claw. They statistically outperform Power Swords despite always running an attack less thanks to Shred. Not that you need to do that here or anything, but in the instance you do want to get him some AP3 in CC (which really is where he stands the best chance of causing damage as a model) the Lightning Claw is a solid way to go without having to throw your list off by one stupid point.
thanks for the input, I might do that, who really needs a pistol anyway lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you can find the points you can run him with two lightning claws! I don't think it'd be worth the points upgrade, but if you want a challenge winning HQ the more attacks the messier. I don't own the BA book but if it is similar points wise to the VSM book then downgrading the 2 PWs and 4 axes to 3 PFs spread between the two units would make up the cost.

Also, I am guessing you only had the 4 SRs because of the bolt pistol?

Lastly, I personally don't hate on bare tac squads, never underestimate the power of rapid firing boltguns from cover while sitting on an objective, if you cut down enough to ruin a swarm's charge, it might be significant enough to win you the game. But if you combat squad them, pay for the weapons!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you can find the points you can run him with two lightning claws! I don't think it'd be worth the points upgrade, but if you want a challenge winning HQ the more attacks the messier.
I actually don't use him in challenges, but rather whatever squad sergeant he's with bites the bullet (unless I know I'll win). With the second LC and a Jump Pack you're almost looking at the model's cost in upgrades and there's still no invulnerable save in the event of Instant Death weaponry. 15 points for one extra attack is even more ludicrous than the 1 point no one is willing to pay for the Bolt Pistol.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I love TWC. I just don't think all 6 need Shields. Half is normally what I do. But with 6 they will certainly survive until they make contact and not end up as a distraction unit like mine. If that's just how you're modeled up I totally understand, but you've got a hodge-podge of AP3 at initiative and AP2 at I1 in the same squad. Just a personal preference of mine. I'd also love to see a 2+ save on the Lord. I will definitely give you props on running the WC on the Lord and your 2x melee weapons on the TWC. It's a difference between S9 and S10. Slightly more reliable AT and instant death for those pesky T5 opponents.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love TWC. I just don't think all 6 need Shields. Half is normally what I do. But with 6 they will certainly survive until they make contact and not end up as a distraction unit like mine. If that's just how you're modeled up I totally understand, but you've got a hodge-podge of AP3 at initiative and AP2 at I1 in the same squad. Just a personal preference of mine. I'd also love to see a 2+ save on the Lord. I will definitely give you props on running the WC on the Lord and your 2x melee weapons on the TWC. It's a difference between S9 and S10. Slightly more reliable AT and instant death for those pesky T5 opponents.
Reason the TWC Have a Thunder Hammer in there is for the chance that for the next round I can have the other unit be ant Initiative 1. I dont have any built yet

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
^ Concussive only affects the model that suffers a wound, not the whole unit.

Unless there's some SW buggery going on and there's a rule I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ Concussive only affects the model that suffers a wound, not the whole unit.

Unless there's some SW buggery going on and there's a rule I'm not aware of.
Oh didn't catch that, will prob just use fists and wolf claws then

1 - 12 of 12 Posts