Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a list of what I normally use for my SM at the gaming place I go to. Its a bike theme army, mostly to be fast and hard hitting. Curious to what i could do to make it better. Its non competitive mostly just for fun.

HQ: Kor'sarro Khan on Bike 205
Command Squad "Khan Squad" all on bikes 3 power swords banner, company champion 280
5 Space marine bikes Power fist Melta bombs 2 meltas 190
5 Space Marine bikes Power fist Melta bombs 2 Plasma guns 200
5 Space marine bikes Power fist Melta bombs Melta Plasma gun 195

Elite 5 Assault terminators ( or shooty ones depends on the foe)
Land raider Redeemer Extra armor and Multi melta 265

Heavy Predator TL las, las sponsons 165

Fast 3 man attack bike squads all Multi meltas 150

General idea is to outflank an hit sides as hard as I can an just move into the middle killing whatever is in the way while grabbing or denying objectives. Not sure weather to start the Predator in reserves or start it out on the field.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I love these lists.

The Command Squad is a real killer though.

This is what I run:

Apothecary, Storm Shield, Bike, meltabombs
Champion, Bike, meltabombs
Standard Bearer, Bike, Meltagun, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer
Marine, Meltagun, Storm Shield, Power Weapon, Meltabombs
Marine, Meltagun, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer

You can take on any armour, have 3 Meltagun shots, T5 FNP, and a Hit and Run, Furious Charge Command Squad putting out 5 S5 Instant Death Power Weapon attacks, 7 S5 Power Weapon Attacks, and 9 S9 Attacks, shaking the vehicles.

It's what I base the list around.

I run two base tactical squads, with twin Lascannon Razorbacks, 3 Vindicators, and the rest as Bike Squads. The Vindicators deal with Hard Targets, the bikes are flamer and melta armed, with Combi Flamer/Melta Sergeants.

Works really quite well against all comers.

Outflank isn't that good unless your opponent will let you run a Damocles command rhino. We lack Autarchs or Astropaths to get the troops in time. We risk getting destroyed piecemeal, and are very win big, or lose badly armies.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feed back.

Yeah outflank has not always worked out for the best but its a rarely used tactic at least where I play an its always fun to watch my opponent figure out what to do. They either bunch in the middle which is fine since all I have to do then is hammer at one spot or they just disregard it an deploy on the sides, and thats always fun to run on board shoot then charge them. I tend to have good luck when rolling for reserves to get on board maybe thats just me.

I Do not use a vindicator mainly due to whenever I set up against them once they are immobilized if nothing is in front of them to shoot they become really nicely painted things to look at when they can't do squat.

One question though on your command squad, can an apothecary take bombs or a shield? In the upgrades those are listed as vet upgrades and hes not a vet technically hes an apothecary. Got his own stat line and everything and listed as separate from the vets in unit composition. Not sure on that jut curious.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I belive he might because he is part of the command squad, and from the book it says "If commander has terminator armor and there is a veteran sargent, then all command squad units can have terminator honors"

Does that imply that all squad members are fighters and if so it would make sense to have bombs for all of them. Also i belive he has that he can pick things from the armory.

Correct me when im wrong.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
how the local guy runs his mini (500 pt) bike army he has a captain on a bike & a Tact sized bike squad, with upgrades (PF, PW, etc). any ways he does really well, charges on HIS choice since he can turbo boost / move the 18(?) inches away.

if your thinking on running a WS style of army id take "tact squads" on bikes 8 bikers + attack bike, & fit as many as these in your army, then if you want to take some out for normal tactical squads id put them in drop pods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about taking the 10 man sized tactical squads bikes but what stopped me was when splitting up one versus taking two 5 man squads when I take one I only get the one power fist in a group an the one multi melta in the other which if its going for vehicles if its shot misses the bolters don't do much to heavier armor. One thign I picked up is with few bikes picking one thing for them to do and sticking to it works the best,.
The tacs in a drop pod is'nt a bad idea though, they ultimately come out to more points then a 5 man bike squad but it may be the change up I need if for nothing else then capturing points or point blanking meltas into something.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I belive he might because he is part of the command squad, and from the book it says "If commander has terminator armor and there is a veteran sargent, then all command squad units can have terminator honors"

Does that imply that all squad members are fighters and if so it would make sense to have bombs for all of them. Also i belive he has that he can pick things from the armory.

Correct me when im wrong.
What book are you using? That's like 3rd isn't it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The list looks OK, and if it works for you, run with it.

To me, it feels a bit disjointed.

Khan is OK, the Command squad is OK, though IMO I’d rather use meltas or flamers. SS would not be a bad addition if going for a tough melee unit: 3++ save with FNP, FTW. I wouldn’t use the Champion upgrade, but I might keep the banner.

Your bike squads look pretty good, though the melta bombs are redundant.

I’d combine the points for your bike squad and attack bikes to make 3 large bike units, two with PF, x2 meltas + attack bike with MM. the other, with PW, x2 melta, attack bike with HB.

Now you have six potential scoring units.

I’d switch out the Las Pred for two Tornado LS, give them HF and HB, or MM. that should give you more anti-horde control whether in cover or not.

good hunting.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I’d switch out the Las Pred for two Tornado LS, give them HF and HB, or MM. that should give you more anti-horde control whether in cover or not.
Disagree here, you would be dropping the one hard shooting support element for one that's only good vs hordes and useless vs vehicles.

Personally, I think you're trying to do too much in the list... Half of your points are tied up in two deathstar units... The termies are a huge points sink.... and you've already got a 500 point dedicated CC unit... I would use the termie points for either more shooting or more bikes.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Disagree here, you would be dropping the one hard shooting support element for one that's only good vs hordes and useless vs vehicles.
then we agree to disagree. biker lists lend themselves to mobility and fluidity, everything that a Las Pred is not.

not only that, one lucky hit and all your armor piercing is gone.

with melta attack bikes and melta guns, he should have enough anti-tank to bust armor, not to mention, if he wanted to, he could have the ever popular HF/MM set up on Speeders.

not as tough as a Pred but, he's a Fast, so he gets a cover save when moving flat out, he can move 12" to get getter LOS/rear armor when shooting and he gets two of them as opposed to one Pred, so he can diver his shots at other vehicles if needed.

the Las Pred can only shoot one thing at at time and an Outlanking unit can kill/stun it with relative ease, especially if he just sits there. i'd send my Genestealers after it and have confidence that i can kill it.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey I get where you're coming from.. And if we're talking HF/MM speeders, then I would even agree... but not HF/HB

One thought, mobility is less important when you have a 48" range... that being said, it dosen't seem to fit very well... It will be alll alone and less likely to live...

I think the real issue with the list is that it needs a direction... I would either focus on the Bikes or focus on the TermieRock... it just feels like it's going two directions at once...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Regardless, I think the real issue with the list is that it needs a direction... I would either focus on the Bikes or focus on the TermieRock... it just feels like it's going two directions at one...
Now this I DO agree with. Main reason I recommended HB/HF on Speeders is because I recommended the OP take melta elsewhere on the list that I thought MM on the Speeders would be redundant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you for the ideas.
Yeah. Taking new things into consideration I'm coming up with a new list. Dropped the land raider for some other stuff with some teleport homers to bring termies down. I do like having them since there is usually 2-3 TH shields there to absorb big shots since once they come down they tend to drag all attention to them which is great for everything else in my army to run around and do what it will. I've run numerous games just based on them making land fall an my opponent going "lol kill the termies!" But yeah dropping the bombs.

Oh an the champ upgrade is there to give that lats vet a power sword plus a 6+ invul same points as a PS with a free invul so why not plus give shim a slightly higher WS.
Thought up something else see what you guys think.

Korsarro 205
command squad 310 2 Storm shield 3 power swords bikes company champion banner

Troop 5 bikes 2x Melta Power fist 185

Troop Bikes 5 2 plasma gun power fist 195

Troop bike 5 power fist melta plasma gun 190

Troop tactical squad 10 power fist melta gun multi melta drop pod or rhino teleport homer 245

Elite: assault or shooty terminators 5 terminators

las predator 165

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
better list, though i still think your bike squadsare small, and i understand why to have the Co. Champ. i just think a model with a SS on a bike (or anything else really) is better than a crappy 6++.

good hunting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also another thing if any of your power swords have a ss u might consider a lightning claw since a ss does not allow the extra attack in close combat anyway.Re rolls are nice lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah claws might be better then the swords for the ones with the shields, same point difference. Part of the reason why the bikes squads are small is just because moving around a squad any bigger becomes a problem what with hitting terrain an dieing to dangerous tests being too big a target and absorbing points an not having enough vareity, but I really do get what your saying. In my mind another basic biker is just another bolter with t5 running around I can do better.

Thank you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like the list and love to see these armies on the table because they are fluffy and competitive.I would change 1 thing.one of those bikes squads into a 5 man tactical squad in a razorback just so you have some defense in your army in objective based missions.but otherwise looks great you should have loads of fun with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts