Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's cold weather again, time to revisit 40k! This is my first army list since warm weather showed up. It's technically a fun list, but I still want to win more than I lose. Probably going to fight other DA (greenwing/deathwing), DE (skimmers), Eldar, Nids, and Necrons.

Baal Strike Force
220 Dante
125 Chaplain (JP, Valor's Edge)

230 10x DC (JPs)
185 DC Dread (HF, DP w/ DWML)

130 5x Tac (HF, DP w/ DWML)
130 5x Tac (HF, DP w/ DWML)

115 5x Assault (Combi-Melta, 2x Melta)
115 5x Assault (Combi-Melta, 2x Melta)

Ravenwing Strike Force
200 Sammael

200 5x RW Knights
200 5x RW Knights

=1850

Most likely Dante, the Chap, and Sam will roll with the Death Co. They can handle... just about anything outside of walkers. The DC dread should pick up that slack. Tac squads are to root out shrub humpers and weak objective campers, Assault squads can handle tanks, and the knights are there for elite infantry, MCs and transports. Certainly flyers can be an issue, especially Nid flyers. These days it's getting harder and harder to prepare for everything though. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm sure there's a bunch I didn't think about.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
They can handle... just about anything outside of walkers. The DC dread should pick up that slack.
Find the points to deal with AV in that unit. I couldn't tell you how many times that has ruined my match...your DC dread will die ASAP, people are strangely scared by those things. I think it's the faded memories of extra wound generation :grin:

Are you actually not playing those two 5 man assault squads with jump packs and not Pods? Seems odd in this list for some reason to me.

Hilariously awesome list. I really like Dante giving DC Hit & Run for extra charge lols. I just always think of him with SG and a Priest...thank you for getting my head out of that box!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh they are so in pods. I just forgot to put that in there. The three pod drop is essential to blocking los and providing cover for this very aggressive list.

Against most tanks, the DC's S5 and number of attacks should prove worthy. I just know to keep them away from dreadnoughts.

Sammy can also give H&R, plus scouts and skilled rider. It feels so wrong but plays so right to have scouting death company that doesn't take dangerous terrain tests.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
DC's S5 and number of attacks should prove worthy
I've been there many times, owning over 20 DC models. How many times have you been able to charge with that unit at full strength against a player as experienced as you? Otherwise that's a lot of S6 attacks when a Walker charges, which could prove unfortunate against AV13. Plus DC hate S8 AP2.

Just out of curiosity why the love for DWMLs? I know there's a reason people love multiples but that's 75 points in upgrades (assuming the Assault Pods are equipped the same) that have a 12" range when you're going to be moving away to engage the enemy. You could be playing Astorath and have a sneaky power fist in your DC.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's only 3 deathwinds. It could still get me a hidden powerfist and still have a few points to play with. I just like them because they can handle hordes and make the pod itself a threat. They never get their points back, but they have caused my opponent to waste shots trying to destroy the pods. I'm glad you brought it up actually. I put them on out of habit, but they really don't fit this list do they?

And astorath is cool and all, but the chap with valor's edge benefits from the initiative boost and is still ap2. I'm liking the dropping of the deathwinds for a DC powerfist, just not sure what the other 20pts would be used for.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I put them on out of habit, but they really don't fit this list do they?
I don't think they fit many lists. Cool pieces of kit, but too limited in their use for my taste.

And astorath is cool and all, but the chap with valor's edge benefits from the initiative boost and is still ap2.
In a squad with Dante already tanking AP2 at I7 on the charge and Sammael coming in at I5? I'm not normally for Astorath either and the points aren't there right now but the squad buff in a unit like this might mean a lot more than the AP2 at Initiative buff on one extra IC. Not to mention Astorath's attacks have Instant Death on rolls of 6, which is darn handy against Monstrous Creatures.

I'm liking the dropping of the deathwinds for a DC powerfist, just not sure what the other 20pts would be used for.
Digital weapons for your Chaplain and melta bombs for your 5 man assault squads on the chance their MGs wiff and they're close enough to charge that mechanical thing they want blown up?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what would you think about this?

220 Dante
125 Chaplain (JP, Valor's Edge)

209 8x DC (1x PF, JPs)
220 5x Terminators (4x TH/SS)

115 5x Tac (HF, DP)
115 5x Tac (HF, DP)

105 5x Assault (2x Melta, DP)
105 5x Assault (2x Melta, DP)
35 Drop Pod

Ravenwing Strike Force
200 Sammael

200 5x RW Knights
200 5x RW Knights

=1849

I've never liked spending meltagun prices for a single shot anyway. So the combis had to go.

The Deathwinds didn't fit, they went. You're right about the DC Dread. He'd be a magnet for an entire army's worth of AT firepower. I'd rather have some infantry that can fill the same role. Not to mention they're scary as hell coming out of a pod turn one.

Did I really need all those DC? Probably not. I'm still a fan of the I5+ AP2 that's filling that squad. The PF is there for walker insurance.

An added plus that I hadn't thought about, but could be situationally beneficial, is that Sammael in the Ravenwing Strike Force automatically comes in on turn 2 if he's in reserves. If attached to the DC, Chaplain, and Dante, they'll come in with him automatically. And if I don't attach him, Dante lets me reroll anyway, but Sammie can let me outflank. Very situational. Can't even think of when I'd use it, especially because I'd also have to reserve the Knights, it's just nice to know I have the option.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Sammael in the Ravenwing Strike Force automatically comes in on turn 2 if he's in reserves.
I know you said if, but keeping your Death Star stays in Reserve 'till T2 so it can't assault until T3? Not a fan of that plan. Keeping Dante in Reserve used to make sense when he stopped the squad from scattering and was with a bunch of infernus pistol toting Sanguinary Guard for max armour demolition. This is no longer the case for scatter, and you're playing him with a specifically CC oriented squad. Starting them on the table leaves them vulnerable maybe but you should be able to use the Ravenwing squads, terrain, and the Drop Pods to mess with LoS enough to get them where they need to be. Heck, they'll even be on-table to react against enemy DS'ers or Infiltrators more efficiently.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I can't think of a situation when that'd help much. I just like to know that I can do it within the rules. It's the magic player in me always looking for synergy. And by synergy I mean broken ass combos that make ppl quit in a nerd rage. Not that this is the case here, as it obviously isn't, but any time I can make something odd like that happen in the rules it tends to draw my attention and get the ole gears spinning.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Do you have Sanguinary Guard and a Priest for Dante and Sammael to roll with? They're more expensive fer sure, but oh man are they better in combat. Not that this list isn't tight, just another option to explore. A Libby casting Iron Arm on Dante would be pretty swanky as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do. If I used them I'd want to roll PF/4x Encarmine Swords, but I have 5 of the standard old ones primed black with human heads kitted out PF, 2x Sword, 2x Axe, and a banner and then my favorite are 5 painted ones with the wolfy heraldry and even those awesome space wolf "wolf faced" helmets packing 3x sword, 2x axe. I've yet to be able to bring myself to mix and match the two squads based on the heraldry.

I also have a fistfull of priests with assorted loadouts. Mostly with jump packs.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Why not:

Dante
Sammael
Priest w. pack, Valour's Edge, pistol
5-10 SG w. swords, a PF or two, and a banner

5 SG w. one fist and a banner is 200 points, and the Priest is 29 less points than the Chaplain (WS+1 and FnP make Zealot 'meh' with this squad). Off the top of my head and possibly erroneously, that leaves you with 38 points. You could go even further and drop the Terminators for more SG [EDIT: Iron Arm is caster only...brain failure], all depends on what you want to proxy/build/play in general. I like Terminators in a Drop Pod, but they're pretty slow if that pod scatters and the unit they're after is even remotely speedy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts