Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HQ
215 Avatar with Crushing Blow and Fast Shot
55 Warlock with Jetbike and Singing Spear
TROOPS
108 Rangers x 9
240 Guardian Defenders x 10 with Star Cannon, Wave Serpent Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
240 Guardian Defenders x 10 with Star Cannon, Wave Serpent Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
122 Windriders x 6 with 2 Shuriken Cannons
HEAVY SUPPORT
275 Dark Reapers x 3, plus Exarch with Fast Shot and Night Vision, Wave Serpent Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
135 Fire Prism with Shuriken Cannon
FORIFICATIONS
85 Aegis Defense Line with Icarus Lascannon
1850 TOTAL POINTS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like you have a strong list in the works. Though I might suggest a few changes.
Firstly, I am a fan of Dark Reapers, although in my experience, you will be getting the most from their points by deploying them in an elevated position to begin with. Their range is good enough to hit most things on a smaller board, but I would't recommend moving them. If you embark, move and disembark them, you are losing two turns of shooty goodness. I say nix the wave serpent, pump them up to five if you like, or reinvest points in more mobile units. Also, drop night vision unless you will be specifically in a night fight. I always enjoyed warp spiders for their pretty good weaponry and unpredictable manner. You can use their movements to drive units toward your avatar, for example.
Secondly, Guardians have really lousy range, and it is unlikely these guys will see much action if you have to move them around a lot. That said, they make good fire support with their weapons platform. I suggest removing one unit from your roster and placing the other two behind the aegis defense line with maybe one wave serpent for support and mobility.
Thirdly, think about how to reinvest your saved points. Windriders are a solid choice, but have you tried shining spears? These could also support a hammer-and-anvil strategy with your avatar. How about outfitting one of your transports with brightlances for anti-armor support. What if your opponent brings a land raider?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would counter Omoroule's suggestions for Guardians with this - Keep them all in, but switch to Brightlances. The S6 AP2 shots are not needed in your list. Fire Prisms will act better as AoE infantry crushing than they will anti-tank. Use the 3 Brightlances for that.

Also, you're list is a clash of themes - You have an Avatar (moving forward I assume), followed by a Defense Line with a bunch of long-range weaponry. You may be better off taking Eldrad, or 2 barebones farseers for guide/precience on your Guardians and Fire Prisms and Reapers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that I should explain my idea for the units. The Guardians, Rangers, and Dark Reapers will deploy behind the defense line. The Exarch will man the Icarus Lascannon. The Avatar will make them fearless and can repulse enemy deep strike close combat troops. The empty Wave Serpents, Jetbikes, and Fire Prisms maneuver on both flanks. There are 23 long range shots generated by the infantry. A 66 more shots from the tanks and jetbikes, 46 of them twin linked.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If your Avatar is being used defensively you could always use him to fire the Icarus Lascannon with his fast shot, that way he wont be standing around doing nothing if no threats to your back line, would leave your dark reaper free to fire.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Partybear raises an interesting point... The Avatar is also BS10, so he has built-in guide, which is great since the Lascannon is not twin-linked... However against heavy-air armies, use the Dark Reaper Exarch for the "ignores Jink" special rule

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If you dropped the chin cannons from the prisms (which disagree range wise with its main gun) and the spear from the warlock (since its rare they should be that close to an enemy) you could afford some Starshot missiles for the Reapers. That way the rest of the squads shooting won't be wasted when tank hunting, and you boost vehicle killing power.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's not a terrible idea, but I would assume the Exarch would be firing the Lascannon during the Intercept phase, which means he can fire his normal weapon during the shooting phase.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated List thanks for all input
HQ
205. Avatar fast shot
TROOPS
240. Guardian Defenders x 10, star cannon, wave serpent TL scatter lasers, sc.
240. As above
240. As above
240. As above
122. Windriders x 6, s cannon x2
72. Rangers x 6
FAST ATTACK
135. Shining Spears x 3, plus Exarch w star lance, hit & run
HEAVY SUPPORT
135. Fire Prism w s cannon
135. Fire Prism w s cannon
FORT.
85. Aeigs Defense Line w Icarus Las Cannon
1849 total points

·
Registered
375 Posts
Drop the rangers - look good on paper, but they're statistically 2 wounds a turn. Not worth it!

With those points, give your 4 Wave Serpents holofields, and split the jetbikes into 2x3 with a cannon. Keeps you at 3 troops, and makes your serpents live longer!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Revised again:
205 Avatar with fast shot
240 Guardian Defenders x 10 with Bright Lance in Wave Serpent with TL Scatter Lasers and Shuriken Cannon
240 As Above
240 As Above
235 Guardian Defenders x 10 with Shuriken Cannon in Wave Serpent with TL Scatter Laser and Shuriken Cannon
61 Windriders x 3 with Shuriken Cannon
61. As Above
135 As Above
210 War Walkers x 3 with Scatter Laser and Bright Lance
85. Aegis Defense Line with Laze Cannon
1847 Total

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
My only concern: your avatar might not do much... I would personally take 2 farseers for maximum psyichness to TL everything and remove cover from everything etc. Fire prisms are good, but if that shot misses then damn, that's a waste. If you don't want to fine, but I like force multipliers more than baddasses personally.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would suggest (many may disagree with me here) replacing the Guardians with Shuriken Cannon with a basic unit of Dire Avengers.

Here is my reasoning:
- 24" cannon still keeps Guardians out of range, but doesn't provide any real firepower - 3 S6 shots are so-so.
- Dire Avengers have longer range, and can effectively stay out of charge range of any non-jetbike/jump unit with shoot+run+fleet. Should be able to be 22+ inches away at all times after you shoot. (unless you really botch a fleet roll).
- Slightly better armor save (and leadership), which will help them take bolter fire.

10 Guardians + cannon is 95pts, right? so you should be able to fit what.. 7*13 -= 91. This will give you 14 shots at 18" range instead of 3 at 24". These could also act as backup for your Avatar :) lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to use the Avatar to man the laze cannon and bolster the morale of the Guardians who will start dismounted behind the defense line. Anti-air would be augmented by both the War Walkers and Wave Serpents.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I see nothing wrong with using the Avatar - fearless is a nice perk, fast shot on the lascannon is solid, but eventually a CC focused army WILL get something to your line, and then he adds serious beef to it. He's at least a little useful no matter what, and in some games I bet he'll be your savior.

I'd love it if you could fit in Holo-fields on your serpents... They reduce the shots getting past your cover save by 25% and add ~11.5% to the cost of the vehicle. Granted, they're useless against anything that ignores cover.

The least useful items in your army are definitely the shuriken cannons on the Fire Prisms (as mentioned above 60" range often doesn't mix with 24" range), and the shuriken cannon in that guardian squad.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah, I would have to agree that the Wave serpents could definitely use holofields over Shuriken Cannons.

Remove the 2 cannons from the Fire Prisms, and toss Holofields onto all 4 of the serpents, while removing all their cannons as well - 60pts (6 cannons) for 60pts(4 holofields). Against pretty much anything except Tau, IG, and a couple other specialty units (tigarus with a lascannon squad) it'll save your day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts