At 2000pts add

7 Wolf Scouts
Mark of the Wulfen
Power Weapon
Flamer
=140pts

Add 1 Fenrisian wolf bodyguard to Wolf Lords Equipment

TOTAL = 1990pts

Okay so I played my first game with this list (1850 version) and space wolves earlier today and I am over all fairly satisfied with it though it was against a newer player so I don't feel it was the best test. I won't judge my long fangs on this battle though it did take me 3 turns to kill a rhino with them (poor poor rolling) My lord and his cav really out did themselves with absolutely mopping up several squads while remaining mostly unscathed.

One thing I am thinking of changing since I have some spare points is freeing up a tad more to replace both of the power weapons with fists in the GH squads. The one attack is kind of underwhelming but I ran into a situation where a dread assaulted one of my squads and it was just me waiting until he squished the last member as I had nothing to hurt him.

Anyways any insight from veteran wolf players would be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Scouts without melta bombs seems to be a total waste...Unless you never come up against guard or tau gunlines.

But I love my MM/melta bomb scouts, makes any tank commander very very nervous.

·
Registered
324 Posts
the dread in the pod is out of place. one pod only = dead dread, and it doesn't even have a MM to fry a vehicle on its way down. why not replace it with a couple of MM/HF speeders?

also I don't think you need 2 storm shields in the TWC unit, if you need points you can get some by giving one of them just a bolter instead of spending all those points in a second SS.

I don't get the bloodclaws. Is there 9 so the rune priest goes with them? if so grey hunters are loads better, since claws are only good if they get the charge, but the priest wants to stay back and support. Grey Hunters are much better defensively.

the longfangs seem ok, but go with 5 launchers. cheaper and when you take one wound and remove the team leader you don't end up with weapons that don't agree. Also since you have one more heavy slot you could consider doing 3 units of 5 long fangs with 4 ML each instead of 2 more expensive units... Gives you target saturation and more fire support all in all.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Why not choose Canis Wolfborn instead of your Bare Lord? Buck up your TWolf Cav.

The Lone Dreadnought seems out of place. If you replace your Lord with Canis, and drop 1 ML from each Long fang, you could upgrade him to Bjorn. Use him as a Sniper and trouble. Ancient Tactician will aide you in all things.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Why not choose Canis Wolfborn instead of your Bare Lord? Buck up your TWolf Cav.

The Lone Dreadnought seems out of place. If you replace your Lord with Canis, and drop 1 ML from each Long fang, you could upgrade him to Bjorn. Use him as a Sniper and trouble. Ancient Tactician will aide you in all things.
hmm. maybe because canis sucks almighty ass. if i were you, i would change your blood claws to have 10 and take away a grey hunter and add your rune priest to the GH squad, that way he can blast away from the top hatch:biggrin:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The scout idea could be a good one though I would like to play a few battles with them as is to see if they are pulling their weight.

The dread did seem fairly useless although it was killed by an assault cannon after a huge deviation so he couldn't do much. That was something I was thinking of changing.

The extra stormshield is so that I have a completely different survivable wound group in the squad for cheesing out wound allocation. Plus a bolter makes him lose an attack.

The blood claws do contain the rune priest. I didn't really want to put him in a GH squad because that takes away from their special weapon choices but I can see your point.

My long fangs are outfitted that way so that they can kill armor 13 and 14 vehicles if my melta guns get shut down. Also I don't see how lascannons and missile launchers are weapons that don't agree. They are both anti tank weapons except that a lascannon is better than a launcher.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Ditch the Dread and a Grey Hunter with meltagun from each pack and get yourself a nice unit of Wolf Guard. Give two of them bolters and power fists and the last one something that'll nicely compliment the Blood Claws and go nuts. Don't bother giving a Grey Hunter a power fist since one Attack freaking sucks - if you're gonna give someone a fist, make sure it's a Wolf Guard. Also, if you think you'll miss the extra meltagun, the Wolf Guard can carry a combi weapon.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I agree with Katie on this one, drop the dread and include a WG in each troop unit with a PF. I would also suggest you drop or maybe even add a unit of blood claws when you move up to 2k.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The extra stormshield is so that I have a completely different survivable wound group in the squad for cheesing out wound allocation. Plus a bolter makes him lose an attack.
the storm shield takes away an attack just like the bolter would but instead of being free it cost 30 points. its nice to have the 3+ Inv but that 30 points is almost a melta speeder... just drop the shield from the guy with the melta bomb and change the guy with a just a melta bomb to a bolter. then they are still all unique.

id say get rid of the blood claws, they are NOT as good as grey hunters. they die a lot easier. yeah, one extra attack on the first turn of the assault per model. so 9 extra attacks that are s4 and hit on 4 possibly 5's against a decent hq. idk there is way to much Ws7 out there for me to be comfortable with them. Plus you can throw a mark in there and your down a few attacks still but you've got some rending, and throw the standard in there and you have really hard to kill units with a 3+ and re rolling any 1's.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You don't need WG when you have wolf cav.

I too would ditch the BCs for another unit of GH along with the Dread and Lascannons (Missiles are cheaper and more versatile). Splitting up your Fangs into 3 units would be a good way to put more units down.

I'd also cheapen up your TWC and make another unit. Say, 2 units of 3 with a PF and SS. Add 10 Fenrisian Wolves and run your Wolf Lord in there while they screen the TWC. 3 nasty cav units.

I'm not a huge fan of Wolf Scouts since they're a one and done unit. More TWC or Fangs would be better.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HQ

Wolf Lord
-Frost Blade
-Stormshield
-Thunderwolf Mount
-Saga of the Warrior Born
-Runic Armor
=255pts

Rune Priest – 100pts

TROOPS

9 Grey Hunters
-Melta
-Power Weapon
-Mark of the Wulfen
-Wolf Standard
- Rhino
=215pts

9 Grey Hunters
-Melta
-Power Weapon
-Mark of the Wulfen
-Wolf Standard
- Rhino
=215pts

8 Grey Hunters
-Melta
-Power Weapon
-Mark of the Wulfen
-Wolf Standard
- Rhino
=200pts

ELITES

3 Wolf Guard
-Combi melta x 3
-Powerfist x 3
=129

FAST ATTACK

5 Thunderwolf Cavalry
-1 with Thunderhammer
-1 with Melta Bombs and Stormshield
-1 with Stormshield
-1 with Melta Bombs
=350pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

5 Long Fangs
-Squad Leader
-Lascannon
-Missile Launcher
-Missile Launcher
-Missile Launcher
=130pts

5 Long Fangs
-Squad Leader
-Lascannon
-Missile Launcher
-Missile Launcher
-Missile Launcher
=130pts

5 Long Fangs
-Squad Leader
-Plasma Cannon
-Plasma Cannon
-Heavy Bolter
-Heavy Bolter
=125pts

TOTAL = 1849pts

Here is my revised 1850 list based on some of your suggestions. As much as I love dreadnoughts and am super excited to finally play an army that has them, the one in my list did not mesh. I discovered that my list really lacked some anti infantry firepower so i swapped my dread for a third long fang pack with some anti infantry guns so as to soften up units before I assault them.

At first glance the wolf guard unit leaders seemed expensive but I realize they are worth it for the Ld bump as well as 2 fist attacks but more likely 3 as I will either be assaulting or counter charging most of the time.

So now I think I have it all covered. Plenty of anti tank, some ranged anti infantry and some brutal close combat. I will have to play a few games with it and I'm sure I will find some tweaks here and there that need to be made.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I think you'll be fine. The only thing that might give you trouble is that you have only three vehicles which is a little low for 1,850, but the huge threat of the Thunderwolves should draw plenty of fire so it should work out fine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The vehicle issue is something I considered and when I was revising my list I thought about putting a vindicator in instead but one ordnance gun seemed unimpressive. Again I will just have to fiddle around with it and I will figure out what works and what doesnt.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
At first glance the wolf guard unit leaders seemed expensive but I realize they are worth it for the Ld bump as well as 2 fist attacks but more likely 3 as I will either be assaulting or counter charging most of the time..
Actually you save points with a PF WG opposed to just having the GH PF and it if you add the combi its only 3 points more so there really isn't any good reason not to do it tbh. Glad you threw them in there.

The only change I would make would be to make the last squad of LF a full group of ML…. but that is just because I don’t trust plasma. Either way it’s a good list.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i agree with ahab, i'd lose the plasma cannons and heavy bolters for missiles and then i'd split up the thunder wolves to have more cavalry units, other wise one thing could tie them up the whole game and the rest of your army dies all around them. i mean they aren't your only assault unit but they are your best and they are nearly a fifth of your army. One time, thousand suns tied mine up for a whole game with their 4+ invuls. TT__TT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts