Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying my best to make CSM somewhat viable again. I love the 1K sons, and I also love Imperial Knights, so I've decided to join the two together in a what I would consider an extremely shooty list. I've enlisted some help from forgeworld to try and make this list as powerful as possible....

HQ
Sorcerer in terminator armor (warlord) 2+ 4++
level 2 psyker
combi-melta
Force stave
MoT

Elite
(4) Terminators 2+ 4++
(4) combi-melta
(3) power axe
(1) power maul (champ)
MoT

Troops
(7) Thousand sons 3+ 4++
Sorcerer has a force axe
Rhino

(7) Thousand sons 3+ 4++
Sorcerer has a force maul
Rhino

Heavy
(FW) Chaos Rapier Weapons Battery
(3) quad heavy bolters (Str 5 AP 4 heavy 6 twin linked)

(FW) Deimos Pattern Vindicator Tank Destroyer
Laser Destroyer Array (48" Str 9 AP 1 Ordnance 1, (2),or ((3)) twin linked)

Havok launcher

Havok squad
(4) auto cannons

Fortification
Aegis defense line

Lord of War
Imperial Knight Crusader

Avenger gatling cannon w/ heavy flamer
Thermal cannon w/ heavy stubber
Stormspear rocket pod

Renegade allied detachment

HQ
renegade command squad
Arch Demagogue w/5 disciples

Troops
renegade field artillery battery
(3) Heavy mortars Str6, Ap4, 5" blast, pinning

Heavy
Renegade support squad
(3) Heavy bolters Str5 AP4
Militia training
1849 points

The warlord and his Terminator retinue start in reserve so they can deep strike in and melt a high value target, the renegade command squad ties up enemies that deep strike behind my line, the two 1K sons squads drive forward and seize objectives, the rapier weapons battery, the renegade support squad,the Havok squad, and the Vindicator sit behind the aegis line and destroy anything that comes within 36", the renegade artillery batteries rain fire from above at long range, and finally the Knight Crusader strides across the battlefield shooting, melting, and stomping anything in its path while staying 6" away from allied Chaos forces.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I think 1ksons have too many drawbacks and are too expensive for doing one thing decently, so you may struggle to make them competitive, but...

Hmm, you already have quite a lot of AP4 in the list. What are you expecting, Skitarii armies en masse? As for get more, well, the best route would be to get more HS slots, as they're where ranged AP4 dakka tends to fall, I find. Forgefiends, more Autohavocs, etc. though it'd be hard to find the points for more unless you take a Renegades CAD instead of allied detachment--that might be doable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think 1ksons have too many drawbacks and are too expensive for doing one thing decently, so you may struggle to make them competitive, but...

Hmm, you already have quite a lot of AP4 in the list. What are you expecting, Skitarii armies en masse? As for get more, well, the best route would be to get more HS slots, as they're where ranged AP4 dakka tends to fall, I find. Forgefiends, more Autohavocs, etc. though it'd be hard to find the points for more unless you take a Renegades CAD instead of allied detachment--that might be doable.
Thank you for the feedback. Actually, my three main opponents are Necrons, orks, and Astral Militarium, hence the boat loads of AP4 goodness. lol If you were to add a renegades CAD, what would you suggest?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not sure how much an Imperial Knight crusader is worth in points, but you could take a Chaos Night Errant or Paladin with the Daemon knight of Tzeentch upgrade for 435 and 440 points respectively, and this means that you re-roll to hit rolls of 1, and the heavy stubbers have soul blaze. This also makes it a lot more fluffy than an Imperial Knight in a Chaos army.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure how much an Imperial Knight crusader is worth in points, but you could take a Chaos Night Errant or Paladin with the Daemon knight of Tzeentch upgrade for 435 and 440 points respectively, and this means that you re-roll to hit rolls of 1, and the heavy stubbers have soul blaze. This also makes it a lot more fluffy than an Imperial Knight in a Chaos army.
I agree that it's not super fluffy, but I fell in love with the IK crusader as a maxed out weapons platform, you just can't get that much firepower anywhere else. lol If only Forgeworld would release rules for chaos crusaders, I'd be set!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts