Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per request, this is the army list I use for my Sons of Horus. I don't much care for Abaddon, hence my reference to them as the Sons of Horus-- they're very much a Black Legion army, though. It's 2000 points. I periodically use an Alpha Legion list since I use so many infiltrators and it's just cheaper points-wise, but this way I'm free to add cult squads in larger points without reconfiguring anything else. It wins about 50% of the time, which is what I aim for for a relatively friendly list. In a tournament setting, I'd use the Alpha Legion rules, since I only use the Mark of Chaos Undivided, and I can put things like Furious Charge on the Raptors and give some of the champions spiky bits for the points I save elsewhere. I've used this list without the discounted Infiltrate from the Alpha Legion rules in a tournament and come out on top, so it's probably fine even then without the discounted Infiltrate.

It's a fairly straightforward army as far as how it operates on the table. Infiltrate lets me set up after my opponent for the most part, and react to his deployment. If I think I can easily get the jump on him by deploying close, then I do so and get stuck in by turn 2. If not, I deploy accordingly in a defensive position. It's very close-range intensive, which puts the large squads where they're safest-- in close combat where their armor save and toughness are put to best use.

HQ/
Tullius Satrael, self-styled Prince of Hell
-Mark of Chaos Undivided, Power Sword, Bolt Pistol, Daemonic Aura, Mutation, Resilience, Strength, Spiky Bits, Infiltrate

Elites/
No Selections

Troops/
Hunter Squad Ereshkigal, 14-strong
-Mark of Chaos Undivided
-Bolt Pistols, Close Combat Weapons, Infiltrate
-One meltagun, one plasma pistol and close combat weapon
-Ereshkigal is armed with a power fist and bolt pistol.

Hunter Squad Zalthus, 14-strong
-Mark of Chaos Undivided
-Bolt Pistols, Close Combat Weapons, Infiltrate
-One meltagun, one plasma pistol and close combat weapon
-Zalthus is armed with a bolt pistol and power fist.

Hunter Squad Garraddon, 12-strong
-Mark of Chaos Undivided
-Boltguns and close combat weapons, Infiltrate
-One meltagun, one plasma rifle
-Garraddon is armed with a power fist and combi-flamer

Hunter Squad Astabis, 12-strong
-Mark of Chaos Undivided
-Boltguns and close combat weapons, Infiltrate
-One meltagun, one plasma rifle
-Astabis is armed with a power sword and combi-flamer

Fast Attack/
Reaver Squad Astellus, 10-strong
-Mark of Chaos Undivided
-Bolt Pistols and close combat weapons
-One meltagun, two plasma pistols and close combat weapons
-Astellus is armed with a bolt pistol and power fist

Heavy Support/
Anubis the Jackal, Dreadnought
-Daemonic Possession
-Twin-linked Lascannon
-Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon (combi-bolter)

Daemon Engine (Defiler)
-Battle Cannon, Heavy Flamethrower, Reaper Autocannon, Daemonic Possession

Despoiler Squad Haggaddon, 10-strong
-Mark of Chaos Undivided
-Four Autocannons
-Bolters and Close Combat Weapons
-Tank Hunters

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
looks good, big squads being very durable, in your face army. Maybe a little lacking in range but obvious with inf its not so needed, only really mech eldar that that would usually be a big problem against.

How many are in squad haggaddon?

·
Registered
42 Posts
On your Lord,
I would drop some gear and swap the Power Weapon for the Dark Blade.
Also, you're a bit light on anti tank. I would suggest another havoc squad.
Mixing plasma and meltas are not good. If you shoot both, you can't assault. I would go double meltas if you're assualting, plasma if you're not.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This wasn't posted for tweaking. I threw it up at someone's request. I haven't changed the army in quite a long time... and probably won't, since it works pretty flawlessly. I used to use just a lieutenant instead of the Lord, but due to a points miscalculation I was able to bump him up to a Lord and give him Resilience.

There's no shortage of anti-tank stuff in the army. Every squad has a meltagun that needs one. The bolter-armed squads are there to provide a more tactical unit-- something that can shoot pretty well and fight if need be. The melta lets them handle armor if they need to. Besides, it's safer than having a pair of plasma rifles. Packs a similar punch, but slightly reduced risk. I'm not worried about assaulting with the bolter-armed squads really.

As for the assault squads... you can fire a plasma pistol and charge. I don't see what the issue there is. It's an extra attack for being double-armed over having a pair of meltaguns.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just use the Black Legion color scheme for the most part. I'm sure I've managed to confuse everyone by referring to a Black Legion army as the Sons of Horus, but that's really all it is. I just don't much care for Abaddon. :lol: I use a slightly lighter color scheme though... kind of charcoal instead of pitch black for the most part. I'll post what pictures I've got on photobucket up in painting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts