Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tinkering with my list in preparation for a tournament. It's a variant of one I posted here a while ago.

I have 80pts to play with. What should I do with them?

This is what I have so far:

1 Warboss (HQ)
Warbike, Cybork Body, Power Klaw, Bosspole, Attack Squig, Combi-Rokkit, Ammo Runt

5 Nob Bikers (Troops)
Warbike, Cybork Body, Painboy, Bosspole (x1), Waaagh! Banner (x1), Ammo Runt (x1)
Big Choppa (x1), Power Klaw (x2), Combi-Rokkit Launcha (x1), Combi-Skorcha (x1)

1 Big Mek (HQ)

Kustom Force Field, Grot Oiler, Bosspole
(rides wagon with the Lootas)

12 Ork Slugga Boyz (Troops)
Rokkit Launcha
Nob (Big Choppa, Bosspole)
Trukk (Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram)
(used to grab objectives and deal with the odd tank, that's why I didn't go for the claws)

12 Ork Slugga Boyz (Troops)
Rokkit Launcha
Nob (Big Choppa, Bosspole)
Trukk (Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram)

11 Gretchin + Runtherd (Troops)

1 Deff Dread (Troops)
Dreadnought CC Weapon, Skorcha, Grot Riggers

10 Lootas (Elites)
("ride" the wagon, ie. use it as cover, in most cases it won't move from the place it was deployed into)

Deffkoptas
Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha (x2)

3 Killa Kan (Heavy Support)
Rokkit Launcha (x3)

3 Killa Kan (Heavy Support)
Grotzooka (x3)

1 Battlewagon (Heavy Support)
Big Shoota (x2), Zzap Gun

Models in Army: 64

Any comments/suggestions would be great. Cheers!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Max out Lootas.
Definately.

More bodies, with the upsurge of CC oriented armies, having boy squads at 12 or less is ggonna turn you into choppy bits, not choppy machines of death.

Nob Bikers are outdated, and beaten, by most armies that come to the battleboard, one big template erases alot of them, and their potential is not great in low numbers, 7-8 is better, but I dont think they´ll be able to kill the enemy units, simply because they´re either gonna plow thru, then get shot to tiny wee bits, or they charge into something that counterattacks (grey hunters), or 2+ saves thats just gonna rip em apart (termies...).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got back into 40k just a while ago, having played mostly in 3ed and a bit of 2nd, therefore I may be missing something, but so far the only template I've seen that can be very dangerous is the one from a Vindicator, having fought 3 of them yesterday (although they only killed a single biker, 3+ cover saves helped there).

What others are there that I should be weary of?

So far my experience with the bikers has been very positive, 16 claw attacks have put a severe dent into pretty much anything they ran into. While against most shooting a 4+ save followed by a Feel no Pain has kept them safe. One of the great things about them I have witnessed is that people start using anti-tank weapons against them, leaving my Kans and other vehicles fairly unscathed until it's too late.

Maxing out the Lootas is probably a good idea. I was also considering two buggies with Twin-linket Rokkits. What do you think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Templates you should be wary of: Heavy flamers (S5 AP4) and especially the Flamestorm cannons (on LRRs and Baal Preds) probably qualify. S6 AP3 hurts.

·
4,491 Posts
Templates you should be wary of: Heavy flamers (S5 AP4) and especially the Flamestorm cannons (on LRRs and Baal Preds) probably qualify. S6 AP3 hurts.
Against Nob Bikers, you are still getting the equivalent of a 3+ save vs a Heavy Flamer or Flamestorm Cannon.

They need 4's to wound, then you get a 5+inv and a 4+FNP.
So 1/3 successful saves, then 50% of the 2/3 that failed will be saved by the FNP, which is 1/3.
So 1/3 of wounds will result in a lost wound, same as a 3+ normal save.

Lets say a Heavy Flamer hits 3 Nob Bikers...
3 auto-hits
1.5 wounds (S5 v T5)
0.5 failed saves/FNP

Flamestorm Cannons are the exact same, except they wound on 3's instead of 4's, resulting in 0.66 failed saves.

There isnt really a whole lot else in your list that flamers will hurt, unless your Boyz jump out of their transports.
And lets face it, if your opponent gets a chance to shoot a flamer at your Boyz when they are disembarked, then you really need to rethink your tactics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep an eye out for Vindicators and massed templates like Burnas. Those could seriously hurt.

Speaking of Burnas, what do you think of trading the Lootas for Burnas, adding a Deff Rolla and some red paint to the wagon and driving it full speed ahead instead of hanging back and shooting with the Lootas?

·
4,491 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep an eye out for Vindicators and massed templates like Burnas. Those could seriously hurt.

Speaking of Burnas, what do you think of trading the Lootas for Burnas, adding a Deff Rolla and some red paint to the wagon and driving it full speed ahead instead of hanging back and shooting with the Lootas?
You could do both...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts