Land Speeder - 45pts
5 Devastators with 4 Lascannons in Drop Pod - 185pts

Strike Force Command
Pedro Kantor

First Company Taskforce
10 Sternguard in Drop Pod - 255pts

The fact that Imperial Fists' Bolter Drill now affects Sternguard special ammo really got me thinking about how best to use it, since Kantor's Sternbrigade has been a list idea I've always really liked. This army puts out a lot of versatile shots - with 7 Pods, I'd bring down 2 Tactical Squads with their Meltas and 2 Drop Pods of Sternguard, but if you're facing an infantry-heavy army you could bring down all the Sternguard or vice versa for a tank-heavy list. Call your Tactical Doctrine and boom - instant carnage!

The sheer amount of Objective Secured the Space Marines can put on the table is terrifying - this army has 4 models that aren't Objective Secured, with 30 Fearless OS Sternguard that can split into 6 units (and should, to keep that -2 Leadership bubble from the First Company Taskforce active and spread over a wide area), some backfield OS in the Devastators, 3 OS Drop Pods, an OS Fast Skimmer and an OS Biker Command Squad with Storm Shields. Cripple your enemy on the alpha strike, then win on Objectives.

Kantor and the First Company Strikeforce comes together to make Sternguard Fearless, Fear-causing, A3, Preferred Enemy against a single nominated unit, Objective Secured Space Marines with Special Ammunition Bolters re-rolling 1s to Hit and projecting a 12" bubble of -2 Leadership for 22pts per model! If that's not a deal, I don't know what is.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Ow. Without combi-meltas/grav on the Sternguard at all, you might struggle against a Knight heavy list, but otherwise... very nice.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, against Knights you hope to do enough damage with the Meltas on the drop, and Tank Hunter Lascannons before they get shot to hell and back, that you can afford the spend the next five or six turns chipping off a few Hull Points with the Command Squad and then winning through the proliferation of Objective Secured - sure, Knights can beat up the Space Marine pretty easily, but 16 Objective Secured units isn't something most Knight lists want to be dealing with.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm looking to run a CF force at Rapid Fire this October in Stirling.

Based on the list above - which is very tasty - I get 1945pts from the listed units. How would folk recommend I cut this to 1850pts without spoiling the list, or losing the benefits provided by the 7th Ed Codex?

Have I got my arithmetic wrong?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking to run a CF force at Rapid Fire this October in Stirling.

Based on the list above - which is very tasty - I get 1945pts from the listed units. How would folk recommend I cut this to 1850pts without spoiling the list, or losing the benefits provided by the 7th Ed Codex?

Have I got my arithmetic wrong?
Huh, you're right, must have forgotten to add Kantor's points to the final total - awkward!

I think I'd probably drop the Biker Command Squad and upgrade the Captain to Lysander (dropping 2 Sternguard from one unit and putting him with them) or a Biker Chapter Master with Burning Blade, Storm Shield, Artificer Armour and Combi-Melta (a lot of people like the Shield Eternal, but I don't see that many Str10 weapons being thrown around so I'm pretty okay with not having it - that said, if you don't want the Burning Blade, then you might as well bring the Shield to stop you getting punked by some random Smash attack or the like).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks, MS.

I have a fair whack of CF, but am missing a bit of what's needed for this list.

I was building towards a Skyhammer Annihilation Force before I saw this. Seven drop pods looks mean, but is four more than I have just now and I hate painting them!

Still some time for me to think about it, but will definitely consider your suggestions :)

CtS

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your army looks a lot like mine. Since the new SM codex (as well as the new DA codex) dropped it took a while for me to find the optimal way to field my marines. In the end I too chose the Strenguard & Gladius Strike Force, because of all the SM armies I have had over the years, this army finally feels and plays like a true space marine force.

So, I can't really think of any suggestions on how to improve the list, but I thought I'd post my own list here in case you want to see a similar army at 1750pts. Personally I've been more than happy with this army. Well, it doesn't have any anti-air, but these days it's hard to have everything I suppose...

GLADIUS STRIKE FORCE

Captain
1xCombi-grav, Auspex
105pts

Tactical Squad 5
1xGrav cannon
Drop pod
140pts

Tactical Squad 5
1xGrav cannon
Drop pod
140pts

Tactical Squad 5
1xGrav cannon
Drop pod
140pts

Attack Bike 1
1xMulti-melta
50pts

Devastator Squad 1
4xLascannon
150pts

Pedro Kantor
185pts

Sternguard Veteran Squad 8 (Captain & Kantor join this squad)
Drop pod
211pts

Sternguard Veteran Squad 10
6xCombi-melta
Drop pod
315pts

Sternguard Veteran Squad 10
6xCombi-melta
Drop pod
315pts

Total
1751pts

Edit: Didn't notice this was actually a bit older thread originally. I don't know if you're still fielding or considering fielding this army but no matter... here's another Sterguard/Gladius example anyway. It really is a good base for an army.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks Malaconia, this isn't really threadomancy here... this area of HH seems to be a pretty slow section! I didn't need to leave the front page to find a CF thread to query :)

I'll look at your list later, with the benefit of the Codex in front of me. As I said, 1850 is the limit and yours falls 100-short, which gives me room to adapt it...

CtS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts