Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ
190pt, vulkan (With sternguard)
100pt, Lib (avenger, might of ancients) (With sternguard)
Elite
350pts, Stern (10) 6x combi-melta, 3x combi-flamer, hf, pod, locator (combat squaded, 3x combi-melta, 2x combi-flamer, go with lib, 3x combi-melta, 1x combi-flamer, hf, go with vulkan)
160pts, dread, mm, hf, pod, locator
150pts, dread, mm, hf, pod,
Troops
245pts, Tac (10), pf, combi-flamer, mg, mm, rhino
245pts, Tac (10), pf, combi-flamer, mg, mm, rhino
165pts, Tac (5), bp & ccw, razorback, tl lc
Fast
70pts, ls, mm, hf
70pts, ls, mm, hf

1745pts, 17kp

Tactics
Sternguard drop first turn, combat squard with their respective hq (as described above) and tank hunt. They will get assaulted in the following turn, but thats why the lib, and vulkan are there, both being strength 6 (vulkan with relic blade, lib with might of accients) Also 1 angry dread will of arrived, to cause more mm pain. So in the opponents first turn he will have to deal with 2 sets of stern guard, 2 hq, 1 angry dread. While 2 rhinos charge up the table to lend a hand turn 2, (Pop smoke of course). The 5man tac squad sit at home taking long range tl lc shots, and generally watching DVD's in their pimp ride. So in reserve to arrive by deepstrike are 1 dread, in a pod, and 2 ls, mm, hf. Which when they arrive will go after what ever needs holes in.

I have changed my whole tact on marines now, I played a 1000pt match againest a mate of mine, he plays space wolves. He wrote a list, I wrote a list, we played a game, had a BBQ after all was good, then after some beers we played another game,this time with each others army, these where the lists.

From memory space wolves
1x ulrik the slayer
8x sky claws
5x grey hunters, 5x bg, bp, ccw
9x bloodclaws, mg, rhino
1x dread, hf, mm, pod
1x dread, hf, mm
2x ls, mm, hf
My Salamanders
1x Vulkan
3x vindicators
1x tac (10) pf, combi-flamer, mg, ml, razorback, tl ac (combat sqauded)
1x tac (6) pf, combi-flamer, razorback, tl hb

Played first game, dawn of war, 5 objectives, was a draw, until turn 5, he 24" flat outed a ls to contest 1 of my 2 objectives, then no turn 6, doh. So he won. On the turn around, standard 12" deployment, 3 objectives. Didn't even get his turn 3, as I had killed everything, apart from 1 vindicator which I had imobilased, (It had no targets either) Would of gone turn 4 as 2 ls, with there mm, where behind it, and a dread to its left, with its mm, and dccw, So am moving away from space marine tanks, as they are a lot of points for something that a glance stop shooting, and seeing as their shooting is key to my plans, f**ks the whole tactics....and marines should be jack of all, masters of none. If I want tanks, I should play guard.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The main thing I would look at is the HF in the Sternguard unit. You really want to keep the special ammo. If you are running the HF with the Lib I could see it but with vulkan just take a combi flamer. Is there any way to sqeeze a combi melta into your combat squad? I think if you can it would help them just in case they get back doored. Other than that I love the list.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Giving the Tacticals Pods so you can drop both Dreads with the Sternguard would be a solid pick. You lose mobility, but go for the kill early on and use Speeders/later Pods to reinforce or secure wayward objectives.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Grinnsia
Reason for the hf, was to make each unit of stern guard highly killy to troops, 2x hf, 1x flamer, with vulkan, 2x flamers, and avenger (str5, ap3, by by meq) So they will get charged, turn one holding up the enemy in his quarter. Allowing me to charge forward, un shot at, in my rhinos, allowing me to sit still in the rhinos and mm stuff if needed, or surging forward again.
If i lost the hf, and changed to a combi-flamer, would give me the 10pts needed for the combi-melta, on the 5 man tac......

@chumbalaya
Reason for not going all out with the pods is I have no control over when the second wave hit. Plus dropping a pod on my home objective seems a waste, and if the only reason to get 5 pods is to get 1 more dread on the table turn one, is 6x mg, 1x mm, not good enough, thats possibly 3 targets that should at least not be able to shoot next turn.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think your Libby would do much, much better with Null Zone and Gate of Infinity so you can really take advantage of your locator beacons.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do use null zone, but locators only work if they are on the table at the beginning of the turn, and seeing as they arrive turn one, it will be turn 2 I can use them, so that means my sternguard aren't in their faces turn one. So gate does not suit this tactic that well, great for later on, not so early though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You can always combat squad and walk 5 marines on the board from reserves if you don't want to waste a pod.

It's far from a slam dunk and you are committing yourself almost irreparably to the Drop, but it would be hard for many armies to recover from all that damage in 1 turn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts