Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to be playing my CSM buddy in a 1750pt game (our first of 7th), and I thought I'd throw in a bunch of armor to make use of the new damage table:

HQ1 - Belial
HQ2 - Sammy - (In his 14AV Land Speeder)
Troop1 - DW Termies - (1 TH/SS & 1 CF) - with Land Raider Redeemer (upgraded to DW vehicle and with MM) as dedicated transport [Belial in this group]
Troop2 - DW Termies - (2 TH/SS & 1 CF) - with Land Raider (upgraded to DW vehicle and with MM) as dedicated transport
Elite1 - Venerable Dreadnought with TLLC and Missile Pod
Elite2 - Venerable Dreadnought with TLLC and Missile Pod

1750pts on the nose

Being that this is a bound list, my terms and land raiders have objective secured. (The Idea of dropping 2LRs on objectives and being unable to be contested unless by troop sounds sweet to me).

Sammy with his 14AV landspeeder zooms around picking up objectives, killing vulnerable units, and hopefully staying alive (only 2HP kinda sucks).

With the dreads and LRs being able to re-roll on the damage table against Pen's pretty much makes it so that my buddy will have to glance them all to death. With 10HP being AV14, and another 6HP being AV12, I know he will be hard pressed to take that many out.

The Dreads will pick off his high str guns from my back line, the LRs will move onto an objective and sit, and Sammy zooms around. The termies will just sit in the LR's until they need to come out, or when the time is right... no need to put them in harms way if they don't need to be.

Here's hoping the idea works.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
While the new damage table makes it a lot harder to blow things up, wrecking Land Raiders is actually exactly the same as before. I would, in this list, drop items such as Chain Fists and pintle MM's in order to take more TH/SS for those DW squads. Stormbolters, after trying very hard to like them since I have the models, just kinda suck. Invariably that 3++ will come in a hell of a lot more handy than 2 S4 shots per model, specially coming out of an Assault Vehicle. I'd also wager that Belial is best used DSing due to his non-scatter rule, but you can't hate on Terminators in Land Raiders too hard. Since I play in a vehicle-heavy group I habitually take tons of anti-armour and would have a field day facing this list, but it sounds like your opponents don't play that way so you should have a pretty good time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure my buddy is going to be playing unbound, along the lines of nurgle bikes with Sorc's, and heavies with oblits, forgefiend, defiler and possibly vindicator.

I imagine he'll give his bikes some melta's, but most of his stuff will be str 8, or easy pickin's for my dreads... I hope if the dice gods are on my side.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I hope if the dice gods are on my side.
:laugh: don't we all!

How do you have your DW modeled, any heavy weapons or TH/SS models you could take advantage of? I still feel like the softest spot on your list is how you're playing those squads.

On Unbound: I have only played one game of 7th to date, and crushed my opponent's Battle Forged list with my Unbound one. He simply couldn't deal with my killy fast enough, I just about tabled him. The tentative (more games required) moral of this story is that Objective Secured is a massive buff, but doesn't make much of a difference if you don't have the survivability to stay on those Objectives. Also, Objective Secured really doesn't seem to matter in Purge the Alien.

Are you playing the 6 missions from 6th or are you doing the new set of Tactical Objective missions from 7th?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have quite the variety of Termies to choose from. 7-8 TH-SS / 8-10 dual LC / 5 Ass-Cans / 1 HF / 12-14 PF-SB (2 being chain fist) / 6 PS-SB. (Can't remember exact numbers as I have more then I need to play)

One thing I notices, a squad of knights with relic is the same points as 5 TH/SS termies. The termies would count as troop with Belial... or I can go with Knights, go unbound, and then grab a cheaper HQ in the Inter-Chap in term armor, or maybe even a Lib to go with them.

I guess the question becomes, do I go unbound or stay bounded?

And to answer your question, we will likely try the new missions, but generally, one person tables the other by turn 5-6... we both play quite aggressive styles. hahaha.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thing - made a few tweaks to my list, decided to go unbound:
Instead of Belial:
1 Regular Chap
1 Libby (Mastery lvl 1)
1 DWTS was changed to Knights with relic
The second DWTS was all upgraded with TH/SS

My buddy's list consisted of:
2 Oblits
Vindicator
Maulerfiend
Deflier
Helldrake
2 Hell Brutes (held in reserve)
2 Sorc's on bikes (master lvl 3 each. 1 had a mixed bag of spells that didn't do much, and 1 was demonology)
3 squads of 3 bikes with plasmas and mark of nurgle

Long story short, it was a close game, with him winning 6 VPs to 5VP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts