Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1750 Pts - Space Wolves

HQ: Wolf Lord (3#, 280 pts)
Runic Armour; Thunderwolf Mount; 2 Fenrisian Wolf; Storm Shield; Thunder Hammer; Saga of the Bear)

HQ: Wolf Lord (2#, 250 pts)
Runic Armour; Wolf Tail Talisman; Thunderwolf Mount; Fenrisian Wolf; Frost Weapon; Storm Shield; Saga of the Wolfkin)

HQ: Wolf Lord (3#, 255 pts)
Runic Armour; Thunderwolf Mount;2 Fenrisian Wolf; Power Fist; Storm Shield; Saga of Majesty)

HQ: Rune Priest (1#, 100 pts)
Jaws of the World Wolf; Storm Caller

Elite: Lone Wolf (3#, 90 pts)
Terminator Armour; 2 Fenrisian Wolf; Melta Bombs; 2 Wolf Claw

Elite: Lone Wolf (3#, 90 pts)
Terminator Armour; 2 Fenrisian Wolf; Melta Bombs; 2 Wolf Claw

Elite: Lone Wolf (3#, 105 pts)
Terminator Armour; 2 Fenrisian Wolf; Storm Shield; Thunder Hammer

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack (5#, 100 pts)
Plasmagun; mark of the Wulfen

Fast Attack: Fenrisian Wolf Pack (15#, 120 pts)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (1#, 80 pts)
Multi-Melta x1; Multi-Melta x1

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (1#, 80 pts)
Multi-Melta x1; Multi-Melta x1

Total Roster Cost: 1750

Its not meant to be competitive but it really feels like a space wolf army. Lots of character-esque models riding cool wolves or having wolf body guards. It just ooozes cool.

Basic plan is the 3 wolf lords join the fenrisian wolves unit as well as the run priest. First turn the rune priest storm callers them and leaves the unit to join another. Troop choices sit back and move up carefully, sticking to cover.

The lone wolves can either run around together being all cool or support the grey hunters.

Speeders so I have some semblance of anti-tank other than the lords.

thoughts?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Make your LSs MM/HF and use the spare points to buy WSs on your GHs

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
You want a fluffy list I would adive only one lord with a unit of TWC. Not only do they whoop supreme ass but thy are fluffy as hell. I would give the lord SotWB so he can rip through infantry. LFs are fluffy as hell and just plain BA so I would put some in. Give the RP LL. This looks like a fluffy list and fun to model.... It just won't win any games.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Your footslogging troops will get creamed. I agree with ahab in taking only one lord and perhaps some TWC. If you have points left over from that I would suggest putting them in razorbacks.

If you are intent on taking all three lone wolves I would diversify them a little bit. I really like taking PA lone wolves with MotW, SS, and two wolves. These will eat up infantry and I often see them devour whole squads of IG, etc. These anti-infantry lone wolves may work a little better in my list however because its loaded with lascannons and missile launchers to pop meq.

I know fluffy lists are serious fun but a footslogging list with only two serious viable means of taking down armor (two landspeeders) will get creamed by most any meched up list I can think of.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Make your LSs MM/HF and use the spare points to buy WSs on your GHs
and it will cover your horde control as well.

Your footslogging troops will get creamed. I agree with ahab in taking only one lord and perhaps some TWC. If you have points left over from that I would suggest putting them in razorbacks.
he's right, and ahab's idea is not bad either.

i think you could benefit from losing one Lord, one Lone Wolf, and the Fenriisian Wolves for TWC and bigger squads.

also, if you insist on the small squads, i would drop the plasma for meltas. don't want to nuke yourself with only 5 men.

good hunting.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think this list will work only if you're playing someone else with a non-competative list. And please, I'm not knocking what you're doing... I'm just saying that you need to have an opponent who's also happy to play against this and will bring it's equivalent on the other side.

If you were to bring this against me, the only way I would be able to have fun too would be to try to match it.... To be honest, there's just too much umph in a competative list to make this a fun/challenging experiance for both players

Granted, if your Wolf Lords get into combat, then you'll have fun killin stuff... But even with the Ferensian wolves with them, they'll be hard pressed to make an impact due to thier low number of wounds (and the lack of other things to shoot at will cause target priority to shift to them from turn 1)

Now if you just want to handicap yourself - then I think you'll need to pull in a few more/better units to bring some level of balance to the list. Ie, drop a wolf lord and a rune priest and add in some preds or get rid of the lone wolves and add in a few rifleman dreads... something to make it more fun for your opponent.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
fluffy lists, yummy, seriously though, if you want to make it fluffy, buy a squad of wolf guard drop 2 lone wolves, buy some scouts, say bye-bye to two of the wolf lords and put in some long fangs. and please, give them a land raider, i mean those wolf lords cost over a land raider each, jesus, if you dropped 2 of them you could buy a crusader with multi melta, and put in 12 blood claws to make use of the crusader.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am working on a very similar list myself. Im a fan. I use less wolf lords but more wolves, replacing them with wolf priests that peel off after turn 1 and catch up later with the troops. I fit in some long fangs as well. Lately I have swapped the WL for Canis so i can rock more speeders MM/HF style to clean up both vehicles and gunlines. I really like the wolves for their cost effectiveness. They are a pretty real FA threat if you present enough other threats to enable them to work. Props for breaking out of the mold. Just don't expect love from the competitive crowd :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts