Discussion Starter #1
Vulkan
5 th/ss terms
LRC -mm

Tac f/mm rhino x2

Dread mm/hf x2

Speeder mm/hf x3

Dakka pred x3

I don't think much of one raider armies (my first few games with this list have yet only served to reinforce this position) but overall I feel it sports redundancy and duality across the board. Tweaks?

·
4,491 Posts
Drop pods for dreads perhaps?

I think the Dreads would be better than the Dakka Preads in a Salamanders army.
Either that, or drop the Preads to squeeze in another Termi squad in a Land Raider.

For what its worth...
One of the local players here plays a 2 Troop Salamanders list at 1500 points, and his biggest downfall is scoring units. In objective games i just kill off his troops, then aim to protect mine and claim at least 1 objective. This will be your biggest weakness.
Although the only thing is that the troops are more of a points sink, and dont have anywhere near as much of an effect as what the rest of the army does in terms of killing power.
More troops means less killing power and a generally weaker army, but less troops and you will struggle to win an objective game (if the opponent is smart).
Tough call.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the termis are both a blessing and a curse at 1750. If it works then you are golden but if it is countered then you have wasted a ton of points. You said yourself you have had iffy results with a one LR list...

Our play styles likely differ greatly but for what it is worth I would loose the termis; loose the land raider; loose the rhinos; go full drop pod; add a third infantry unit of your preference to accompany Vulkan (maybe stern with some combis); keep everything else the same. The most difficult thing would be using the drop pods synergistically with the Dakka Preds. Theoretically the Drop Pod unitsand speeders will open mech and create firing lanes for your Preds to mow down infantry, bikes, speeders etc.

Start with the Preds on the board and Speeders in cover (or locator beacons on the pod to guide a deep striking speeder unit could be clutch). Then the first wave of pods must include the dreads. Open up all the highest AV as fast as possible before it can harm you and then clean up. Very fast alpha strike style of play.

Another thought would be to drop Vulkan in favor of a Master of the Forge so that you can save 90 points and then replace the preds with rifleman dreads to fulfill the anti-personel role. They will be much more effective than preds because they are walkers (move and fire both weapons) and they serve to further the difficulty of target priority. Also, by dropping Vulkan you preserve chapter tactics so your free MM in the Tacs are far more useful. So you loose the Twin linking on everything but you will likley see much better returns.

·
Registered
52 Posts
MotF Drop Pod 1750

HQ:
Master of the Forge

Troop:
3x Tac Squad (Fl/MM)
3x Drop Pod

Elite:
3x Dread (MM/HF)
3x Drop Pod

Fast:
3x Speeder (MM/HF)

Heavy:
3x Dread (TL AC)
----------------------------
1750 on the nose

·
4,491 Posts
Vulkan is no doubt a bargain but IMO army synergy is more important.
Huh?
Vulkan GIVES the army synergy. He compliments all units in the army, and is the perfect character to accompany Assault Terminators.
You need to take a HQ choice regardless, and the extra 90 points over the MotF is worth it purely for his stats and the benefits to the Assault Terminators, never mind making all of the flame and melta weaponry in the army twice as devastating.

I dont play loyalist marines anymore, but if i did, i would ALWAYS use Vulkan.

Beasts Of War summed it up pretty well...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@ deuce
The point is kinda vulkan though. I run a gunline similar to the one you posted, but a vulkan list needs vulkan.

@ king of cheese
Played around with the points with teh aim to fit another tac in. I'd end up losing either a speeder and 2 preds, or pred dread speeder. Neither is a great option, though if I had to pick one, I'd lose one of each and pick up a pod and/or Ironclad for the dread. The rock just eats too many points to bulk up troops. Assuming I drop the rock, after I pick up a third tac, my gut would tell me to fill the hole with another dread, leaving me with 105... and no ride for vulkan. Lets play around a bit...

How about
6 stern
HF
MM
LC
Combimelta x4
Rhino
?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here is the best advice that anyone can give you:

change the crusader to a redeemer and dont assault dumb shit like a lonely pred, or a squad of tau. With those terms being the most effective unit in the army, you have to play smart with them. Running up and assaulting the first thing you see is NOT smart and always leads to your terms getting shot at and dying.

In objective games be smart with your troops. They are not that effective to begin with so why be aggressive with them? Play them smartly. keep one near a close objective supported by the dakka preds and drive the other up behind the raider to give it cover. Get to your objective and sit behind the raider and make sure your speeders/dreads can support both your raider and the marines. Getting near that objective now becomes impossible because you have to deal with 3 speeders (assuming they dont DS) or 2 dreads and a redeemer with vulkan and 5 TH SS terms and the squad of marines itself.

dont change anything in the list except the redeemer. You dont like 1 land raider armies? Then either drop it, or play smart with it.

The list is great

·
Registered
22 Posts
id have to agree vulkan is one of the best choices you can take and with ur aorginal list tis rly rly nice. i would say drop one of the speeders for a scout squad hold them in reseve for those last ditch grabs for objectives and taking the redeemer is a really good choice. and definatly get pods for the dreads that with drop pod assult cannot be better. i use two iron clads and a squad of tt ss termies although i use them differntly those two comming down on the first turn (i have a third drop full of nothing- from thunderfire cannon) will easily pop a tank or a buntch of armour 4+ guys (or both if your really lucky.) and even tho thy dont live that long their armour makes them live for alot longer than u think and soak up alot of enemy firepower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts