Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is around a 1750 tourney list I've been trying to tweak. It still needs some work and playtesting. This is for the U.S. style GT's.

Maugan Ra (I normally run Eldrad, should I switch back?)

4x 10 Guardians w/ EML (one squad led by Spiritseer)
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Powerwpn/Shimmershield, Defend, Bladestorm (do they really need the Wave Serpent?)

5 Fire Dragons
6 Striking Scorpions, Exarch, Scorpion's Claw (a leftover points unit, still working)

Wraithlord, Brightlance/EML
Falcon, Starcannon, Shur Cannon, HF, VE, SS
5 Dark Reapers, Exarch, Fast Shot

The Scorps haven't worked for me, but they are currently painted. I'm still waiting for the new Harlequins and, time permitting, they may be added.

Most of the army is painted, but I'm adding a few new ones (Fire Dragons, Dark Reapers).

I hate to say it, but despite me wanting to switch him out, Eldrad may be the best fit for this army.

Comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
If you wanna switch him out do it. Maugan Ra is pretty solid, 5 Rending shots is always scary :)
Overall the list looks good, but i'm unsure how guardians would hold up vs other shooty lists, especially any packing lots of HB's and assault cannons[landpspeeders?] You dont seem to have much Mid range firepower, something eldar have lots of options for.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's a little bit scattered. Let's take a look:

The Avatar is either going to work for you or it isn't. Considering there's a lot of little guys running around in this list, a big red target's probably going to be painted on the Avatar. This is good. He's a pretty survivable fire magnet.

Maugan Ra (I normally run Eldrad, should I switch back?

Generally I don't like the use of the characters except Yriel, because point for point they're really not worth it. You can do much more with a customized Autarch and for much cheaper. However, that's your call. They're incredibly fluffy. Fluff is good.

I hate Guardians, but that's personal opinion. These work. Just watch the missed missile shots. Single shot guardian platforms turn out to be a big waste of points pretty fast. Personally, I'd drop the EMLs and take Scatter Lasers, or half and half, because there's little to no volume of fire in the list. You will get eaten by swarm lists. You will get eaten very, very fast.

10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Powerwpn/Shimmershield, Defend, Bladestorm (do they really need the Wave Serpent?)

This squad is all over the place. Either take the two Shuriken Catapults for the Exarch and Bladestorm and mount them in a Serpent, or foot slog with the CC weapons and defend. Don't do both. It's a waste of points because you're only going to use one style. The CC weapon kit is somewhat useless with the Serpent considering you can't assault out of it, and a turn sitting out in the open will spell doom for you.

5 Fire Dragons

I'm assuming you're loading them up in the Falcon. Solid move.

6 Striking Scorpions, Exarch, Scorpion's Claw (a leftover points unit, still working)

I'm unfamiliar with how the GT works, so this could be a bad idea, but drop the Claw and take Shadowstrike. Scorpions are slow. Infiltrated they're really nasty.

Solid choice here.

Standard Falcon, pretty much. Shuriken Cannon is useless because if you're flying around like you should be with the Dragons, you're only going to be able to shoot so many weapons. That said, don't rely on the Falcon for much shooting. BS3 is a big stab in the side.

Fine, I guess. I've found that 4 Reapers without an Exarch get the job done just as well and for cheaper.

Focus a little bit more. You've got a lot of stuff trying to do too many things, and that's why a lot of Eldar lists fail. Specialize. Give each unit its specific purpose and try to only use it for that and you'll find that Eldar are incredibly potent. Try and play them like Marines and you'll find you get the plug pulled quick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Interesting to read someone else's opinion of my armylist as I typically don't post them. However, playing 1750 has proven a bit difficult as I normally play 2000 point games. I was suprised how much difficulty I had.

A few of my thoughts into why the list is set up the way it is.

Guardians. They're 100 points per squad, pretty cheap. Playing against Mech Tau, the range became a factor for me. With angling, my oponent was doing a very good job at avoiding masses of 36" guns. So, this was my thinking for a counter-cheap, long range heavy weapon. Switching for two Scatterlasers seem to be a smart move in this type of build.

I see your point about the Dire Avengers. Last night (Cityfight), I caught my opponent's GK Grandmaster off on his own. I unloaded with Bladestorm and actually didn't kill him. He then assaulted me and Defend/Shimmershield/Powersword combo killed off the model. It is situational, but sometimes the rolls may not be with me. This is an area I'm willing to spend a few more points on. Plus, the Exarch looks plain cool with the kit he's carrying.

The Scorps are there as I may not be able to get another unti painted. I deploy in about 6 weeks, so I have to get as much done now. When I return, I'll have less than a month before the GT. Preferably, I'd like to run Harlequins, but they are expensive point wise. I've been disappointed with Scorps ever since the new codex.

For 10 points I'll keep the Cannon on the Falcon. I did this mainly b/c of the BS 3. I need several shots to get anything to hit. Should I switch the Starcannon for a Scatterlaser? This design is currently in place for those Terminator squads that I keep seeing Deep Strike near me. The Dragons do go in it as this truly seems to the true no brainer choice in the codex in my opinion. So far while using them, they have destroyed a Land Raider Crusader and Grey Knight Dreadnought. Best use of points I've found for a unit so far.

Good point on the Dark Reapers. This may be where I can save some points to pay for the Harlequins.

Again, I appreciate the comments. I'll keep working on the list.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They're fragile, which is why people take Guardian platforms over them, but Vypers provide some covering fire pretty nicely. You might consider one or two of them to jump around and cause some damage, considering you can make one incredibly useful at like 55 points. Two shuriken cannons is by far the best way to go on a Vyper, simply because of the fire output to S ratio.

As for the Avengers, it's completely situational, yes. Point being, if you're out in the open, you hop out the back, unload with Bladestorm, then jump back in and fly to your next destination while the Avengers reload. In cityfight, it makes sense to cover all your bases with as many units as possible, just because of the randomness factor with the terrain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to run 1 with Brightlance and CTM. I've picked up a few more cheap and have been looking at the 2 Shuriken Cannon loadout. I was unsure in a tourney setting if they would be worthwhile. Something to consider.

I've played two games now with my Dire Avengers. They are a very good unit in this edition and I enjoy playing them. My original issue is their cost with a Wave Serpent. It's over 300 points combined and the tank isn't scoring. But, it typically delivers them into a very good shooting spot. Tough choices.

I'll keep working on the list and painting.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just consider with the Vypers that it's a skimmer flying around, so it's hard to damage, and it's got a fire output of 6 S6 AP5 24" shots. Shuriken Cannons are horrible underrated. They're incredibly effective at busting tanks, and also ripping through infantry. I like them better than heavy bolters.

Also, with the Avengers, Wave Serpents, I've found, are best fielded with just the Twin-linked Shuriken Cannons and go from there. It's 100 points to field. Try it out. You might find it works perfectly.

As for the tourney setting, I think the Cannons will come as a surprise, all things considered. The last list I ran had a single Brightlance/EML fitted Wraithlord and a Swooping Hawk winged Autarch with a fusion gun as the apparent antiarmour. I had three squads of Avengers each with their own 100 point Serpent. The Cannons pretty much destroyed all the armour on the table. Let's just say my opponent was pretty surprised. The reason being the Cannons on the Serpents is a great choice because the skimmers are so maneuverable. Getting side and rear shots is pretty simple.

·
Registered
28 Posts
let me see let me see....
Sarigar said:
Maugan Ra (I normally run Eldrad, should I switch back?)
nah u really don't need to Ra should work fine 4 u

Y all the EML's? take 2 eml's away and merge the squads into 1 then give um a scatterlaser

no they don't They good

5 Fire Dragons
Nice bit o tank huntin pwr

bump um to 8 strong at least ten give um the infiltrate ability and if u have extra points let them move through cover

Nice. Y don't u put somethin on his arms. Flamers perhaps?

Starcannon really ain't worth neither are the vectored engines. Drop the vectored engines and te starcannon and trade it for a scatterlaser

if u have the points give him an EML otherwise he good.
all in all shouldn't be a bad army. just needs a little tweaking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts