Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this list kind of started out as a joke between myself and a friend at 1am, and I'm starting to like the idea (ignoring the amount of painting it would take). Basically the whole point is to just have so many fearless bodies on the field that its mathematically impossible for my opponent to put out enough shots to kill them all. Here's what i've thought of, it a dual combined arms detachment.

Detachment 1:
Tyranid prime, toxin sacs, scything talons, devourer 135
2x Hive Guard 110
2x Malanthrope 170
2x Malanthrope 170
20x fleshborer termagaunt 80

Detachment 2:
2x Hive Guard 110
2x Zoanthrope 100
2x Zoanthrope 100

Total is 1750. For those of you who arent familiar with malanthrope rules, they're effectively synapse venomthropes with one additional S/T, marine save, +1w, regen, and a few other things. Good luck killing all those termagaunts, everything else exists for synapse, cover, and most importantly anti-tank. Thoughts?

-Arcticor

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
So this list kind of started out as a joke between myself and a friend at 1am, and I'm starting to like the idea (ignoring the amount of painting it would take). Basically the whole point is to just have so many fearless bodies on the field that its mathematically impossible for my opponent to put out enough shots to kill them all. Here's what i've thought of, it a dual combined arms detachment.

Detachment 1:
2x Hive Guard 110
2x Malanthrope 170
2x Malanthrope 170
I'd merge the last two into a 30 strong unit, and add a tervigon troop choice using the saved cost and the points from cashing in the Hive Guard. You'll get that 10 troop squad back pretty quickly.
Detachment 2:
2x Hive Guard 110
2x Zoanthrope 100
2x Zoanthrope 100
You might want to consider a Malaceptor instead of 2 zoas and the hive guard. Just a suggestion.
Total is 1750. For those of you who arent familiar with malanthrope rules, they're effectively synapse venomthropes with one additional S/T, marine save, +1w, regen, and a few other things. Good luck killing all those termagaunts, everything else exists for synapse, cover, and most importantly anti-tank. Thoughts?

-Arcticor

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the initial attraction towards adding a tervigon. However, its close to 200 points to spawn on average 20 gaunts before plugging. I can get those gaunts for less than half the cost if I just buy them initially. Secondly, if I only have 1 monstrous creature on the field, it will be focus-fired to death very very quickly. (Same idea goes for the maleceptor). The maleceptor is not nearly as good at anti-tank than a zoan/hive guard.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I love hearing people's opinions on this (thats the entire reason why I posted the list), I'm just wondering what you think a maleceptor has to offer for the list that hive guard/zoan can't.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
A Third MC, since you noted you have few of them. What I was advising was more MCs in that build to take some attention off the scuttling hordes. And it's Anti-tank PSI power, while hard to cast, is castable up to three times. I like that ability. I find hive guard restricted in it's range and ability to destroy high armor targets, and tend not to like counting on them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd use the endless swarm formation for this kind of list, maybe even two of them since you're going hard on gaunts. Warriors are better synapse nodes than zoanthropes anyway and are a good use of points in this kind of list. As long as the malanthropes are around they're almost guaranteed 3+ cover with all of the gaunts around to screen

More warrior nodes at the expense of gaunts would be smart. You'll need at least one backfield unit for units coming back onto the table later. Shrikes would be good for pushing with the (endless swarm) hormagaunts but running (possibly fleet) warriors could do the job too.

Honestly, I think this many gaunts is probably a bit much to be enjoyable to use. I'd be looking to reduce to nearer the 120-130 region but with respawns from endless swarm over the course of the game you may effectively end up using the same number of gaunts. You might not be keen on tervigons but with crushing claws and electroshock grubs a pair of them would give you solid synapse support and be able to put hull points on land raiders- and wreck lighter vehicles.

I might write up a list for this theme later on, just for fun. I do love the horde tyranid concept and endless swarm seems to good to resist

edit: What I'd try to field is

Prime (reaper and flesh hooks)
Prime (cheap)
Tervigon (CC and ESG)
Tervigon (CC and ESG)
30 Terms
30 Terms
2 Malanthropes
2 Malanthropes
2 Hive Guard
2 Hive Guard

...and then put the rest of the points into the horde. At least one endless swarm formation but I'll have to figure out the numbers later

·
Registered
533 Posts
Right... this is what I'd do to maintain the theme, lower the gaunt count a bit and include a tervigon

HQ Prime (reaper of obliterax, flesh hooks)
E 2 Hive Guard
E 2 Hive Guard
T 10 Termagants
T 10 Termagants

HQ Tervigon (crushing claws and electroshock grubs)
E 2 Malanthropes
E 2 Malanthropes
T 3 Warriors (barbed strangler)
T 10 Termagants

Endless Swarm

3 Warriors (barbed strangler)
30 Termagants
20 Termagants
20 Termagants
13 Hormagaunts
13 Hormagaunts
13 Hormagaunts

129 gaunts starting on the table with the tervigon spawning some more, and the endless swarm gaunts potentially respawning. The prime (pretty decent in combat with the reaper and flesh hooks- a good monster killer) joins the 30 endless swarm gaunts. The anti armour tervigon prevents vehicles running wild with nothing to fear and gets all the warp charges to itself. Plenty of synapse, same shrouding as before, still piles of bodies to deal with, fast hormagaunts to get stuck in early, die and come back later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts