Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am playing in a tournament this coming weekend for the first time. I am looking for help so that I don't get my teeth totally kicked in by the elder/tau players. Thank you.

*HQ
+Chaos lord 155pts
Lighting Fist
Sigil of corruption
GoM
MoS

+Chaos lord 160pts
Lighting Fist
Bike
Sigil of corruption
GoM
MoS

*Troop
+8 Noise Marines 261pts
Extra CCW
~Champ.
Doom Siren
~Rhino
Dirge caster
Dozer blade

+9 Noise Marines 287pts
2 Blastmasters
~Champ.
~Rhino
Havoc launcher

* Elite
+5 Terminators 258pts
3 Power Swords
2 Power Axes
2 combi Melta
2 combi plasma
Reaper cannon
MoT
~Champ.
Power Sword
Combi bolter

*Fast Attack
+7 Bikes 244pts
2 Meltas
MoS
Icon of E
~Champ.
Power lance

*Heavy
+5 Havocs 143pts
4 autocannons
MoN
~Champ.

As it stand this is what I have come up with, 1508 pts right now.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Ok, This is my advice. Iam probably advising more than 250pts of spending. So take it what you will..

I am playing in a tournament this coming weekend for the first time. I am looking for help so that I don't get my teeth totally kicked in by the elder/tau players. Thank you.

*HQ
+Chaos lord 155pts
Lighting Fist
Sigil of corruption
GoM
MoS

+Chaos lord 160pts
Lighting Fist
Bike
Sigil of corruption
GoM
MoS

I like both of these Lord's I would look at adding the Burning Brand to the bike lord, gives it a bit more of a shooting attack (replace the Bolters on the Bike)

*Troop
+8 Noise Marines 261pts
Extra CCW
~Champ.
Doom Siren
~Rhino
Dirge caster
Dozer blade

+9 Noise Marines 287pts
2 Blastmasters
~Champ.
~Rhino
Havoc launcher

I like both of the squads, but I would look at adding some more troops. 1 per 500pts is my basic guide, so 1750 I would be looking for at least 3 may be 4

* Elite
+5 Terminators 258pts
3 Power Swords
2 Power Axes
2 combi Melta
2 combi plasma
Reaper cannon
MoT
~Champ.
Power Sword
Combi bolter

Whats the plan on this squad? its alot of points on a single unit.

*Fast Attack
+7 Bikes 244pts
2 Meltas
MoS
Icon of E
~Champ.
Power lance

Nice Squad, with the Lord they will make quite the scary unit, if you have spare points a pair of spawn (solo) can be used to hunt tanks, I have had quite a bit of success with running a solo spawn they are cheep and ignored but can hurt tanks and small units

*Heavy
+5 Havocs 143pts
4 autocannons
MoN
~Champ.

I like the firepower the squad can put out, I would perhaps advise A ADL with quad cannon. I would then think about some way to get some lascannons into the list. Havocs, Helbrutes and may be a predator?

As it stand this is what I have come up with, 1508 pts right now.
Looks like the start of a fun list! Heldrakes could be a great step as well..

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I would advise on dropping terminators to 3 man with combimeltas (112) and getting 2 heldrakes with baleflamer (340) seriously. people will show up with deathstars, flyer spam...you will need those turkeys. Also, remove goons of mutation. In a tourney they are too random to worth 10 points. A combiplasma is 10 pts too and is more reliable than the avarage effect of the boon. With remaining 66 points you add 14 cultists as reserve troop.
My two cents

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, This is my advice. Iam probably advising more than 250pts of spending. So take it what you will..

Looks like the start of a fun list! Heldrakes could be a great step as well..
Hq: Can you put the Brand on the bike but not the Lord? If so that's nasty.
Troops: I was going to fill out the troops section with cultists with whatever points I have left over.
Elite: I have run that squad to great effect in the past. Dropping them on my opponents side of the bored popping their back field heavy hitters, and causing them to have to split their fouces.
FA: Yes it is. I have never had much luck with spawn...
H: I will see what I can pull off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would advise on dropping terminators to 3 man with combimeltas (112) and getting 2 heldrakes with baleflamer (340) seriously. people will show up with deathstars, flyer spam...you will need those turkeys. Also, remove goons of mutation. In a tourney they are too random to worth 10 points. A combiplasma is 10 pts too and is more reliable than the avarage effect of the boon. With remaining 66 points you add 14 cultists as reserve troop.
My two cents
I sadly only have one Heldrake. But I will take him with the Flamer. I will drop the terminators to the size. Thank you for the help.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Hq: Can you put the Brand on the bike but not the Lord? If so that's nasty.
Yep, the wording is that you replace a weapon. For real Cheese you could make a case for replaceing frags for it, but this is a touch less Chessey

Troops: I was going to fill out the troops section with cultists with whatever points I have left over.
Ok Good, small units of marines could work as well

Elite: I have run that squad to great effect in the past. Dropping them on my opponents side of the bored popping their back field heavy hitters, and causing them to have to split their fouces.
OK, If you feel confident with their use then its a good unit. I Love helbrutes and will not have a list without one in because I get the best out of them, so if you think this unit will be good go for it. But just be carefull its alot of points in a unit thats not on the table from the word go.

FA: Yes it is. I have never had much luck with spawn...
Well for 30pts you dont need to ask for much, its a beast so keep it out of LOS in cover (something that doesn't slow it down) only making its dash when its time to take something out that will make its points back, Tanks with 10 rear Armour are the best!

H: I will see what I can pull off.
Good Plan, I try and make sure I have a list that could in theory with poor luck in mathammer than can land 2-3 Pens/Glances on a AV12, and 1-2Pens /Glances on AV14, So that if you foucs your fire you stand a chance of downing a Titan in a turn, or at least hurting it.

I think you have the AV12 shots down, its just you ablity to hurt AV14 that has me slightly worried.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good Plan, I try and make sure I have a list that could in theory with poor luck in mathammer than can land 2-3 Pens/Glances on a AV12, and 1-2Pens /Glances on AV14, So that if you foucs your fire you stand a chance of downing a Titan in a turn, or at least hurting it.

I think you have the AV12 shots down, its just you ablity to hurt AV14 that has me slightly worried.
Ok I see. I think this might be more of what you are saying.
5 Havocs
2 Autocannon
2 Lascannon
In a ADL with quad gun.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Ok I see. I think this might be more of what you are saying.
5 Havocs
2 Autocannon
2 Lascannon
In a ADL with quad gun.
I would find some way of splitting this unit up.

I would keep the 4 Autocannon squad, and find another way to bring some lascannons in. A second unit of havocs/Helbrutes/Preds(singleTL cannon works)

If you have just one unit then it can only shoot at one target, and then it can be locked down just as easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts