Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Quick question... how often do you find your tacs in combat? Normally when I run tac squads in razorbacks, I'm JUST doing it for the free ML. So the sgt gets nothin in most of my Marine builds.

Two Libbys might be excessive... thier main goal is to shut down the other guy's psy... I think you could use the 100 Pts back...

I HATES me a thunderfire cannon, but I get your love for the thing... But I wouldn't trade one of the preds for devs as suggested above... so 2 preds and a thunderfire cannon will work...

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of shooty dreads... so that's where I'd put them.. YMMV. Or I'd drop in 3 typhoons with MM.... Or mix and match... but being able to get three more hard shooting units into the mix can only be good.

I'll mess about on Army builder tonight to see how to optimize it...

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
List looks good... Here's the question... Is Tellion worth another Razorback squad? If so then I'd run with what you have... With 9 long range threats every turn, and everything being cheap you've made a good MSU list...

Check your points though... For 1750 on the nose, I got the following into a list
Libby
3 x 5 man tac squads in Razorbacks
1 x 10 man tac squad in Razorback
2 x Autolas Preds
Thunderfire Cannon
3 x Rifleman Dreads
7 Scouts with Cloaks, ML and Tellion.

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I disagree... Termies and a LR do not make you balanced.... if anything it will knock you the other way...

Balanced means that you have a solution for each type of problem that comes your way. So for tanks, there is an obvious answer. For Hordes, any razorspam deriviative will struggle a little. The way to play is to focus fire on one thing at a time. Thunderfire cannon will get to be useful and Tellion's Eye of Vengence will put his shots onto the Nob and then the boys are pretty well hosed... You just need to make sure you're attacking with multiple units of 5... and bolter fire the hell out of them... so you have an answer for Hordes...

For objective games, you don't have to hold your opponent's objective to win... You rely on the fact that you have 6 tanks and three dreads to contest. Set up for a turn 5 tank shock.... Move 12" and pop smoke... IF they have anything left to shoot after turn 4-5, then you get a cover... and for CC they're hitting on 6s...

The problem with what Truthteller is saying is that you run the risk of making your list unfocused... which means you do nothing expecially well... and you will ALWAYS struggle vs a focused list... Either go shooty or go Close combatty... but if you try to do both at the same time, you end up doing nothing well.

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think I get what you're saying, but it dosen't sound right... Please send me a sample list to gawk at...

At 2K, Here's my "stock" Codex list
Libby
3 x 10 Tac squad in Razorbacks (TL Las)
1 x 5 Tac Squad in Razorback (TL Las)
2 x Landspeeder Typhoon
3 x Rifleman Dreads
3 x Predators (Autolas)

Give me 35 scoring troops on the field and 12 hard shooting units.

To take a space worlf-centric view of things....
Rune Priest - Hangs out with 4 ML longfangs
2 x 5 ML Long Fangs
4 x 5 man Grey Hunter Squads in Razorbacks (TL Las)
3 x Typhoon w/ Multi Melta
3 x Rifleman Dreads
Transport = 4 razorbacks w/ upgraded gun for the Grey Hunters and 3 more for the Long Fangs (That's 7 in total)

So... lets count up the ugly... 3 LF, 3 Typhoons, 3 Rifleman, 7 Razorbacks = 16 shooting threats every turn (goes to 19 if I split fire on the LF) - and 20 Troops to hold/capture.

The key, IMO to playing a shooty list is that you don't put in a bunch of fluff that takes away from the shots you're putting down range. In the above lists, I don't see a whole lot of fear of hordes, Nids or Nurgle Marines... since both have the firepower to deal with pretty much any threat.

What do your 2K lists look like?

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Actually, I think the only real way to deal with MSU is to target those things that don't get cover first and look to jam up the parking lot by blocking lanes of fire. Problem is that if I have 19 shooting threats (like the SW list) and my opponent has less than 10, then it's not much of a firefight since they're being outshot. So the way to get around this is to not try to outfight the shooty, but look to minimize it's impact on the game.... which is a lot easier to do at 1500 points than at 2K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.