Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Your list is unbalanced - fabulous shooting but less than mediocre in HtH.

You can take a view on this - unbalanced lists are quite good for tournie play particularly for middle ranking players as they can overwhelm a more balanced force. But they inevitably have a nemesis. Yours would be a fast moving and/or high wounds count close combat army - think Chaos Daemons (see Scuzzlebum's list from the batrep on the tournie he just won for an example, it's on the Chaos Daemons army list part of this site), or Green Tide Orks, or Nids.

Assuming you are going for the 'shoot the hell out of them' approach, you need to consider how you are going to capture, and hold, objectives (after all 2/3rds of games require this). The scouts might manage to sneak in to contest something but their never going to dislodge a proper unit (eg 8 Plague Marines). So you'll probably need to commit at least 2 5 man squads to do the job. How does that fit with your overall strategy and weapon load out? For that reason I'd want at least 1 10 man squad in a Rhino and properly tooled up for CC.

Lastly, and this is just my preference, I don't like the Las and T-L Plas combo on the Razors in this type of army. The mix of ranges makes me feel that you are paying for flexibility that, by definition, you are not intending to use. T-L Las is better if you intend to sit back and shoot as it allows you to max the advantages of having long range weapons (The Eldar in particular can struggle because of their lack of 48" range weapons). If OTOH you are going to roll forward aggressively with the Razors (which doesn't really fit with the rest of the army build) T-L AC are the best bet.

Regards
TT

· Registered
227 Posts
I just looked back again at your original list.

To me it seems you could get a well balanced and effective list from this without too many changes.

Basically I'd drop a Predator, take the Dreads in bare bones configuration (MM + DCCW), drop the extra armour from the Razors, and drop Telion. That would buy (if my maths is right) a Land Raider Redeemer to transport the Termies and Librarian. That gives you a unit for going across the board and taking objectives (which the Scouts can then claim) and Dreads that can support the assault. The rest of your army can then sit back and shoot, or if you are feeling brave, you can Combat Squad the Tac Marines and go objective hunting in the Razors.

Regards
TT

· Registered
227 Posts
CLT - you and I do see things differently.

I fully understand what you are saying but - just my opinion - I think you need to be able to both fight and shoot if you are to be successful.

As I said above an unbalanced list (what you call focussed) will overwhelm some opponents. The advantage is that this will happen as long as you don't play like a muppet - your list will win the game for you. But equally it will lose big against some types of army because it is a one trick pony - and no amount of brilliant generalship will save you.

A balanced list (what you call unfocussed) will struggle against an unbalnced list BUT it will also always have some area of advantage. So if you play well you can win. Equally, play below par and you'll lose.

I just think that a balanced army is a more satisfying way to play and win games. Maybe I'm just an old romantic.

Regards
TT

· Registered
227 Posts
I've never played at 2000 points. Most of my games are at 1500 pints. My 'stock' list (which I don't claim to be optimum) is as follows:-

Rune Priest (LL, JoTWW)
Wolf Guard with PF, 8 GH with Melta and Std, Rhino

Wolf Guard with PF, 9GH with Melta and Std, Rhino

Wolf Guard with PF and Combi-melta, 9 GH with melta and Std, Land Raider

Wolf Guard with PF, 5 GH with Melta, Razor with TL-Las

2 Dreadnoughts

Landspeeder Typhoon.

Against a list like yours, in an objective based game, I would concentrate on drawing your shooting units into a fire fight with my vehicles whilst trying to hunt down and kill your Troops with my, more numerous, Troops. It's a tactic I've used quite successfully a number of times. My secondary targets would be the Typhoons because of their ability to get to an objective quickly and contest it. The tactics for the Dreads would be situational. I'd start off trying to keep them out of the line of fire as they are excellent against lighter vehicles if they try to push forward to contest objectives, but if necessary I'd bring them into the fire fight to keep the heat off my Troops. At the end of the game I want 1 GH standing on my home objective, all your Troops dead, and none of your vehicles within 6" of my GH.

Annihilation games can be trickier, but in my experience shooty armies often have more units.

Note that I don't claim to be a top flight 40K player - most of my gaming has been in other rule sets, particularly ancients. But the principles seem to me to be the same. I recently did well in an ancients tournament by maxxing out the Warband part of my army - units which are top of the tree in frontal assaults - but I protected their flanks with high quality cavalry - troops that are not killers but are very resilient.

For me balance is about having a mix of units that can work together. The focus of my army is my Troops - 35 of them - but other bits of the army do complementary jobs like providing fire support and distraction and last minute objective contesting.

I don't think there's a lot between us really and I'm NOT saying that you can't play the way you advocate. I'm just saying it isn't the way I prefer AND I don't think it's the way the best players use their armies based on what I've seen and read (I really recomend Skcuzzlebumm's batreps - you can find them in the Chaos Daemons army list section).

All the Best
TT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.