Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I miss my old 5th edition razorback/rifleman purifier build. It was fun. This is as close to that as I can come up with while still being points effective and having decent anti-tank.

175 Crowe

190 5x GKSS (Incinerator, Las/Plas Razor)

413 10x Purifiers (2x DH, 4x Halberd, 4x Psycannon, Las/Plas Razor)
413 10x Purifiers (2x DH, 3x Halberd, 4x Psycannon, Las/Plas Razor)
409 10x Purifiers (2x DH, 3x Halberd, 4x Psycannon, Las/Plas Razor)

75 Las/Plas Razor
75 Las/Plas Razor

=1750

The GKSS is pretty much a tax. They will either footslog or deepstrike and loan their ride to the purifiers. I'm going to be combat squadding the Purifiers most of the time so I can either run a mix of hammer/halberd/2 cannons or I can run 3 CC squads and 3 heavy weapons teams. I brought the lascannons for more anti-tank. I wish inquisition could still bring melta. I would have taken rhinos instead and filter some of them in. Either way, that's a good bit of S10 hammers, psychic dice, cleansing flame, and a decent amount of las/plas. I wasn't planning to take halberds, but I had 20 extra points and nothing to spend it on.

I'm not a GK guru by any means so advice is definitely needed! This army did smash a dreadnought themed fun list last night. Even after losing 500 points worth of models in the first turn.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
175 Crowe
Eh, he's okay - I'm not really convinced that he's doing anything in the list that you haven't got already, as you have Cleansing Flame out the wazoo and frankly won't be able to cast all the Purifier ones, let alone an extra one from Crowe. I'm also not a great fan of how he's purely a challenge dude. I'd go for a Brother-Captain with the Soul Glaive and an Incinerator; 5pts more, but gets ranged output, a power and the primaris from Divination or Telepathy (both very strong), a nasty (on-paper, at least) offensive output in melee, and an extra wound.

190 5x GKSS (Incinerator, Las/Plas Razor)
I think you'd honestly be better off bringing 5 Terminators with Swords and a Psycannon. It'd be cheaper, give you a place to put the Brother-Captain, and more effective both at range and in combat at the price of an extra AV11 hull.

413 10x Purifiers (2x DH, 4x Halberd, 4x Psycannon, Las/Plas Razor)
413 10x Purifiers (2x DH, 3x Halberd, 4x Psycannon, Las/Plas Razor)
409 10x Purifiers (2x DH, 3x Halberd, 4x Psycannon, Las/Plas Razor)
Halberds are fairly useless since you have Hammerhand everywhere, and the Daemonhammers are kinda pricey - they give you backup against 2+ save monstrous creatures, but frankly you have a whole bunch of Str6 Force Weapon attacks to push wounds through and the only 2+ save monsters in the game are Riptides (bad in combat, and even just being in combat with one is stopping it shooting which is a victory), Tyrannofexes (rare - I've never seen one), and Dreadknights (admittedly a problem, although pushing wounds through isn't a terrible plan). Neither am I greatly enamored of Psycannons on PAGK - Salvo is a big limiter, as you can't effectively fight at 24" range because it'll be turn 3 by the time you get there (turn 1 move the transports, turn 2 get out of the transports, turn 3 start shooting) and you can't charge after firing them. I much prefer Incinerators in the new book if I'm running PAGK at all - something that I have a hard time justifying outside of 10 Purifiers in a Stormraven. Terminators are just so much better with the Nemesis Strike Force.

75 Las/Plas Razor
75 Las/Plas Razor
Eh, I get that they're for the Purifiers and that's kinda neat. For a 5th edition list, this looks great, but for 7th? I'm not sure you have the resiliency (either through good saves and lots of bodies or dealing a lot of damage early on) to really thrive in 7th.

The GKSS is pretty much a tax. They will either footslog or deepstrike and loan their ride to the purifiers. I'm going to be combat squadding the Purifiers most of the time so I can either run a mix of hammer/halberd/2 cannons or I can run 3 CC squads and 3 heavy weapons teams. I brought the lascannons for more anti-tank. I wish inquisition could still bring melta. I would have taken rhinos instead and filter some of them in. Either way, that's a good bit of S10 hammers, psychic dice, cleansing flame, and a decent amount of las/plas. I wasn't planning to take halberds, but I had 20 extra points and nothing to spend it on.
Inquisition can still bring Melta, as far as I'm aware - Acolytes with Melta in Razorbacks with Heavy Bolters/Psybolt and Servitors with Plasma Cannons or a 7-man Psyker squad (for the magic Str8 on the blast to insta-kill or ignore FnP) in a Chimera with double heavy bolter and Psybolt are both very attractive options that I'm currently working towards financially. They can even Scout a melta squad with the Liber Heresius. You can certainly put down a tonne of Cleansing Flame, but the army feels a little disjointed - you have the 9"/melee range for the Purifiers to excel in with their melee upgrades and expensive statlines, but you have 24" optimal range for your huge pile of Psycannons and a 48" optimal range for your PLasbacks.

I'm not a GK guru by any means so advice is definitely needed!
Heh, me neither, really; I have an embarrassing W/D/L ratio with my GK - I only started them in November myself so I'm very much new to the army even if I am experienced with the game! I'm running a very different list - Terminators, Dreadknights and Riflemen using the Nemesis Strike Force to it's full advantage. I have a pile of PAGK with Rhinos to use when the fancy takes me, however, and from my games Purifiers certainly have potential - I can tell they're strong, I just have yet to master the fine arts of deciding A. When do engage in melee, and B. When do you commit your entire force, and what do you aim for with them? My other armies are Orks and Dark Angels/Deathwing, which are both A. As soon as possible and B. Anything, so it's taking a bit of getting used to an army where you have to think about what you're doing!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've made some great points. Salvo really hurts those psycannons. Especially with the points bump. Damn GW. Of course I already had 12 of them modeled on power armor dudes. I had a also forgotten that the two shots they do get are at 12" and still can't charge. Sucks.

So taking all this into consideration, the new, improved.

175 Crowe

212 5x GKSS (DH, 3x Falchions, Incinerator, Las/Plas)

227 5x Purifiers (DH, 3x Falchions, Incinerator, Las/Plas)
379 10x Purifiers (2x DH, 6x Falchions, 2x Incinerator, Las/Plas)

75 Las/Plas
75 Las/Plas

225 Dreadknight (Teleporter, Psycannon, Incinerator, Sword)

=1747

Again with the combat squadding. Much less heavy firepower now, but more assault focused. Crowe isn't a terrible choice. The two wounds suck, but his AP2 attacks from smash (not the single big one) make him a great challenge character. His buffs also make the GKSS a mini purifier squad (Fearless, ML2, Cleansing Flame)

I even tried to design this using pure GKSS, but I really like the ML2 and fearless. Using hammerhand and force at the same time is a nightmare for MCs. Or hammerhand and cleansing flame for just about anything else (borrowing some dice from unengaged units). The hammers also give me great armor killing abilities in lieu of melta.

FMCs or a flying circus is still going to be the bane of my existence. Hopefully the fearless can give me that little bit of extra staying power to catch an objective once in a while with that single guy leftover. I've done it more than once!

I had also contemplated switching to TLLCs instead of Las/Plas, but with the lack of psycannons now I'm thinking the plas is better. More total shots and more resilient to weapon destroyed.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
You've made some great points. Salvo really hurts those psycannons. Especially with the points bump. Damn GW. Of course I already had 12 of them modeled on power armor dudes. I had a also forgotten that the two shots they do get are at 12" and still can't charge. Sucks.
Yeah, I pinned all my heavy weapon models and painted up Incinerators and Psycannons so I can switch between them. I've ended up using the Incinerators every time.

212 5x GKSS (DH, 3x Falchions, Incinerator, Las/Plas)
Eh, they're really expensive and still basically just worse than Terminators. Still, as you say, Crowe makes them into Purifiers-lite and they fit into the list so I can live with it.

227 5x Purifiers (DH, 3x Falchions, Incinerator, Las/Plas)
75 Las/Plas
75 Las/Plas
Yup.

225 Dreadknight (Teleporter, Psycannon, Incinerator, Sword)
Eh, the Sword's crap, I'd cut it down to a Daemonhammer.

The two wounds suck, but his AP2 attacks from smash (not the single big one) make him a great challenge character. His buffs also make the GKSS a mini purifier squad (Fearless, ML2, Cleansing Flame)
His two wounds aren't really what worries me as he has 2+/4++ and can re-roll in challenges, but the AP- and lack of Force outside of challenges isn't at all impressive for a 175pt character.

I even tried to design this using pure GKSS, but I really like the ML2 and fearless. Using hammerhand and force at the same time is a nightmare for MCs. Or hammerhand and cleansing flame for just about anything else (borrowing some dice from unengaged units). The hammers also give me great armor killing abilities in lieu of melta.
Yeah, basic GKSS are just pretty bad. Deep Striking them with Incinerators is an *okay* plan, but I think paying the extra 13pts per model to make them Terminators is a strictly better option.

FMCs or a flying circus is still going to be the bane of my existence. Hopefully the fearless can give me that little bit of extra staying power to catch an objective once in a while with that single guy leftover. I've done it more than once!
Not so much - you have enough Cleansing Flame that you can knock monsters out of the sky through weight of Str5 AP4. It's not going to get through a lot of armour, and a lot of FMCs will be able to Deny you fairly regularly, but I think that FMCs aren't your biggest issue. Heavy armour (massed AV13/14), Imperial Knights or a very fast shooting list will be your real bane.

I had also contemplated switching to TLLCs instead of Las/Plas, but with the lack of psycannons now I'm thinking the plas is better. More total shots and more resilient to weapon destroyed.
Totally agree.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts