Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Been noodling about with a list for my next painting project, and would greatly appreciate some feedback. I have never played Eldar or played against them, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I want a list with relatively few models, yet I'm not overly fond of the wraithlord model, and definitely not the wraithknight.

The list below amounts to 1684 if I've not miscalculated, so there is some room for doodahs and trinkets. Suggestions are appreciated. Also, if there's some balancing issues or synergy effects I'm missing out on I would like to know, especially if you can come up with a nice solution!

HQ
Spiritseer

Warlock Council (they go into the windrider units below)
2 warlocks, 2x jetbikes, 1x singing spear

Troops
Windriders
6x, 2x shuriken cannon

Windriders
6x, 2x shuriken cannon

Wraithguards
5x
Wave Serpent: scatter laser, shuriken cannon

Wraithguards
5x, d-scythes
Wave serpent: scatter laser, shuriken cannon

Wraithblades
5x
Wave serpent: bright lance, shuriken cannon

Elites
Striking scorpions
5x, exarch w/ Scorpion's claw

Fast
Shining Spears
3x, exarch

Heavy
Fire Prism
prism cannon, shuriken cannon

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Are you intending to play this list or just paint it up? Do you have an emphasis on one aspect over the other?

If you're painting, then the scorpions and spears are excellent, if you're going to game with this list I'd drop both of them. 5 Scorpions won't do much in game and neither will 3 shining spears.
I'd change the wraithblades in the serpent to guard with cannons or scythes - we can't charge out of transports so shooting works better.
I'd look at warp spiders for gaming, not so much for painting.

I'd also look at a wraithknight - it's quick enough to fit in this list and it'd look great as a painting project. The same goes for the eldar plane (Crimson hunter?)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely want to play the list, that's why I asked about balancing and synergy. I understand that the wraithblades would have to be spending one turn unassaulting, my thought was that they'd be strong enough to survive shooting, especially if they run into cover, but I also understand that generally shooting units are the way to go.

The wraithknight is a model, that, as stated above, I don't like. Won't touch it. I might go for a wraithlord, or possibly a FW wraithseer.

The crimson hunter is a cool model, my question is if it is durable enough?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The Crimson hunter can do a job although it does work best with an autarch to mainpulate reserve rolls to come on after fliers, but if you take a farseer, scriers gaze can work too.
You'll still kill what you shoot at when you rrive and hopefully, your opponent should be shooting at your wave serpents.

What are your thoughts on forgeworld? The Nightwing and the Phoenix planes aren't too expensive, look good and have a 2+ and a 3+ jink respectively - they can take all day to shoot down.

If you want to take wraithblades, I think they're better with more models with a farseer for fortune (if you're lucky enough to roll it) or putting your spiritseer with them. People can deal with 5 in a turn and as you won't be a threat with them before turn three (turn 1 travel, turn two disembark/stand about and get shot, turn 3 charge with whats left). Whats left may not be enough to kill what you charge - the axes won't get enough attacks and the swords may not have enough models left as they don't get the 4++.
I'd take 10 with axes and buff them as much as possible if I was going to do cc and I'd add fortune/invisibilty or spiritseer buffs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, rekafoobled list. There is some points left (about thirty), and suggestions regarding kitting and trinkets are appreciated!

Spiritseer joins the Wraithblades.

HQ
Spiritseer

Warlock council (2 warlocks): jetbikes, 1x Singing spear

Wraithseer

Troops
Windriders (x6): 2x shuriken cannons

Windriders (x6): 2x shuriken cannons

Wraithblades (x5): swords

Wraithguards (x5): wraithcannons
Wave serpent: scatter laser, shuriken cannon

Wraithguards (x5): d-scythes
Wave serpent: bright lance, shuriken cannon

Heavy
Fire prism: prism cannon, shuriken cannon

Wraithlord: flamers, eldar missile launcher

(for 2000 pts list:
Phoenix Bomber)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really don't think the wraithblades are good walking, they also aren't very good in a transport, and it leaves your warlord in the open. may i suggest dropping the wraithblades, putting your warlord with some wraithguard in a transport, and grabbing a wraithknight instead of a wraithlord? Your list has enough long range fire support, and the wraithknight fills in some other holes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
30 points left to spend is easy. Put holo fields on your 2 serpents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well having wraithblades with the axe shield combo (and a bigger group, i.e more than 5) is a great HQ retinue, the majority toughness 6 and 4+ invul helps protect them. also a farseer and spiritseer fit really well with them.

But wraithblades with swords are there for pure damage and are not as tough to kill, so to walk them would require a larger group as well. (taking iyanden spiritseers will allow you to take 5 per hq slot so you get get spirit seers in all ur wraith units, their primaris also gives battlefocus and furious charge to all wraith units within 12" - this is really fantastic for all wraith units, and having multiple spiritseers allows for multiple spirit marks)

also if you have a few spiritseers, you have a good chance of getting some great runes of battle powers like quicken/protect/enhance etc. making ur wraithblades not so slow at all anymore, and potentially a 2+ save so heldrakes arent much of a threat to them walking.

the biggest issue with walking wraithblades are that they are slow and expensive (since you need a larger group to absorb some casualties before they get into combat)

having a bunch of spirit seers help with the slow thing (quicken stacks). you cant really avoid the price issue, but getting a protect will help make sure they take far less casualties (and also less casualties due to being faster)

but if you only have one unit of wraithblades i'd make them the axe shield combo and use them to protect your warlord/other HQs and march up the board with them. You'll want at least 6 or 7 of them.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That was very helpful, Caldria, and thanks to W0lfgang7 and Lord Commander for their input as well. So, what do you think of the following changes:

Wraithblades get axes and shields and are now six instead of five.

Wave serpents get holo fields.

Wraithseer gets an Eldar missile launcher instead of the d-cannon.

Wraithlord gets a Star cannon or a Bright lance instead of Eldar missile launcher.

I'm having some trouble with that last choice. Which ranged weapon is the better choice for the Wraithlord, the Star cannon or the Bright lance? I already have a Bright lance in the list (on one of the serpents), and also a Prism cannon. Is the Star cannon worth it to get another shot? Less strength of course, but still AP2...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts