Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure you're all getting sick of me posting lists at this point, but half the fun of the hobby for me is coming up with all sorts of lists, and Orks are my army, so there ya go :p

This is a list that I can actually field, as opposed to the others which are me theorizing and dream building. So here goes.

Green Tide formation:
1 Warboss w/ Mega-Armour, Big Bosspole (120 pts) [Warlord]
7x 10 Boyz (7 x 60= 420 pts)
3x 10 Boyz w/ Nob [PK] (3 x 95 = 285 pts)

Total: 825 pts

Ork CAD:

HQ:
Big Mek w/ KFF + Bike (110 pts)
Painboy (50 pts)

Troops:
10 Grots (35 pts)
10 Grots (35 pts)

Elites:
7 Tankbustas (91 pts)
Trukk w/ Ram + Rokkit (35 pts)

7 Tankbustas (91 pts)

Fast Attack:
Dakkajet w/ Supa Shoota, Flyboss (145 pts)

Total: 1742 pts

Thoughts: The Green Tide is a very one-dimensional formation, but it's still a TON of bodies to kill. Painboy attaches to the blob and makes them marginally tougher to kill. Big Mek gives the front line of the formation an invulnerable save early in the game, but then sticks with the Tankbustas to hopefully ensure they make it all the way into busting range. I brought the Jets to make use of the constant Waaaagh, and figured it would be fluffy and provide a great amount of shooting (It's also my favorite model in the Ork line). Grots camp objectives with Objective Secured.
The reason I gave the formation Warboss the Mega-Armour was to ensure he survived until the very end. If he makes it, then the exorbitant number of victory points it gives up shouldn't be a huge matter. My other thought would be to take a MegaLucky Boss, in lieu of the Big Mek, and attach him to the unit with the Painboy so that he can soak up the wounds before the Boyz start to drop.

On another note: Would it be worth just running completely out of the Ghaz supplement, including the Great Waaaagh! detachment, just so I can re-roll in hopes of an Outflanking Green Tide? Because in my mind that sounds absolutely hilarious.

Just looks like a fun list to play before I pack up the Waaagh for the summer and get into school. Legitimately not sure what to spend the last 8 pts on.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Seems like a nice list, only other thoughts would be to run the formation out of the ork book, and get the lukky stick and mad dok, more points but that gives fearless and +1 weapon skill, to the green tide.

the idea for the big mek is decent personally Ive been burned off them but for that save, for that many is great.

Only other thought is the dakka jets, unless you have a flier heavy environment i don't think that the are worth their points and if you need some heavy fire? Lootas or maybe even tankbustas in trucks might be you options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I were you: drop the the megarmour on the warboss. Makes the unit slow and Purposeful = no running in shootphase, which makes it (potentially) take twice as long to get into CC. On top of that if you (don't know when that would happen) don't kill the enitre unit you've charged or been charged by you can still run them over IF he doesn't have megaarmour.

Give him a lucky stikk instead to give the entire mob WS 5 (majorily hitting on 3+'s). 300-400 attacks hitting on 3's instead of 4's is worth mentioning for 25 points ;)

The times I've used GT I've run with 3-5 nobz with PK, warboss in normal armour with lucky stikk and a painboy..

If you're doing objective game I would prob throw in a few deffkoptas to get to objectives fast (or bikez). Only use is to secure objectives and be a nuisance when not :)

It least that's my 10 penny's worth of thoughts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said. Drop the mega armor on the Warboss so you can take advantage of using a Waaagh! every turn after the first. I don't think you can give the Warboss the lucky stick considering the formations come from the Ghazzy supplement (I may be wrong and hope I am). If that's the case maybe get another warboss from your CAD to give the lucky stikk to or give it to your big Mek and put him in the GT. I have always wanted to try the GT with 3 dakka jets since the Waaagh! will give them crazy firepower.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like a nice list, only other thoughts would be to run the formation out of the ork book, and get the lukky stick and mad dok, more points but that gives fearless and +1 weapon skill, to the green tide.

the idea for the big mek is decent personally Ive been burned off them but for that save, for that many is great.

Only other thought is the dakka jets, unless you have a flier heavy environment i don't think that the are worth their points and if you need some heavy fire? Lootas or maybe even tankbustas in trucks might be you options.
There is only one formation in the Ork Codex and it's the Warband. So Green Tide is exclusive to Ghaz supplement and therefore DLS can only be attached from a detachment. Mad Dok ends up being more expensive than the Big Bosspole and the Painboy combined and doesn't provide much more other than a bunch of Power Klaw attacks. Rampage will never be relevant to the Green Tide.

Like I said in my thoughts, I wanted to keep the Jets to make use of the constant Waaagh and to put out a lot of shooting. Lootas could probably put out more overall shots, but the Jets end up being more accurate with Strafing Run and Flyboss. The only tinkering I'd do to the jets is dropping Flyboss upgrades since they shouldn't be shooting at Eldar skimmers (that I play against frequently)

I'd drop one of the dakkajets for more power klaw nobz in the green tide!
I don't want to put a Power Klaw in every mob since that adds up to well over 350 pts (for the Nob upgrade and the Klaw) when many of them won't even see combat. With the Warboss and 3-4 Nobz, I figure that would be plenty of Power Klaw attacks to clean up whatever the Green Tide didn't kill. But if I take off the Flyboss upgrades I can afford 2 more Klaws.

I agree with most of what has been said. Drop the mega armor on the Warboss so you can take advantage of using a Waaagh! every turn after the first. I don't think you can give the Warboss the lucky stick considering the formations come from the Ghazzy supplement (I may be wrong and hope I am). If that's the case maybe get another warboss from your CAD to give the lucky stikk to or give it to your big Mek and put him in the GT. I have always wanted to try the GT with 3 dakka jets since the Waaagh! will give them crazy firepower.
Your thoughts with the Jets are exactly what I was thinking. Dakkajet shooting isn't phenomenal, but it can't be ignored either, and there will be a lot of it from 3 Jets. If I could play unbound in my LGS then I'd go exclusively jets lol.
And with a HUGE threat like the Green Tide running across the board, I feel like Dakkajets will be largely ignored.
I'll include the changed Warboss at the bottom for critique.

If I were you: drop the the megarmour on the warboss. Makes the unit slow and Purposeful = no running in shootphase, which makes it (potentially) take twice as long to get into CC. On top of that if you (don't know when that would happen) don't kill the enitre unit you've charged or been charged by you can still run them over IF he doesn't have megaarmour.

Give him a lucky stikk instead to give the entire mob WS 5 (majorily hitting on 3+'s). 300-400 attacks hitting on 3's instead of 4's is worth mentioning for 25 points ;)

The times I've used GT I've run with 3-5 nobz with PK, warboss in normal armour with lucky stikk and a painboy..

If you're doing objective game I would prob throw in a few deffkoptas to get to objectives fast (or bikez). Only use is to secure objectives and be a nuisance when not :)

It least that's my 10 penny's worth of thoughts.
I like the idea of taking Deffkoptas as well, but they eat up my very valuable Fast Attack slot. This whole list was designed around the constant Waaaagh and the Dakkajet shooting. Not trying to be super competitive, just thought this would be a fun idea and I am trying to stick to it.

So as for the Warboss changes:
-Warboss w/Big Bosspole, Mega-Armour (120 pts)
+Warboss w/Big Bosspole, Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armour (109 pts)

-Big Mek w/KFF, Bike (110 pts)
+Warboss w/Power Klaw, Da Lucky Stikk, 'Eavy Armour (114 pts)

So I lose the invulnerable for my army, but I gain another Boss. Da Lucky Stikk could only really be used for re-rolling my hits/wounds, since Boyz will be dropping like flies without anything to tank the wounds. The Painboy SHOULD give them a bit more survivability though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I lose the invulnerable for my army, but I gain another Boss. Da Lucky Stikk could only really be used for re-rolling my hits/wounds, since Boyz will be dropping like flies without anything to tank the wounds. The Painboy SHOULD give them a bit more survivability though.
The lucky stikk also gives the whole GT +1 to WS. That is pretty awesome.

Two thoughts that I haven't tried but might work. You could try a couple of big choppa nobz as well rather than all powerklaws. My thinking is that most 2+/3+ armor save units will die just due to the crazy number of dice you can put down. Throw in a few extra BC for less points will give you more nobz with high strength hits for tougher creatures and vehicles. Also, I have heard of people taking void shield generators from the fortifications list to give the whole GT essentially 12 AV.

Have fun with the list!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lucky stikk also gives the whole GT +1 to WS. That is pretty awesome.

Two thoughts that I haven't tried but might work. You could try a couple of big choppa nobz as well rather than all powerklaws. My thinking is that most 2+/3+ armor save units will die just due to the crazy number of dice you can put down. Throw in a few extra BC for less points will give you more nobz with high strength hits for tougher creatures and vehicles. Also, I have heard of people taking void shield generators from the fortifications list to give the whole GT essentially 12 AV.

Have fun with the list!
I always forget about the +1 WS...I might need to actually write that down on my lists so I remember.

I hadn't thought about Big Choppas, but a couple of those as well could help immensely. I obviously don't want to dump points into every squad for Nobz + a weapon since I estimate that only 60-70 of the Boyz will make it into combat range.

I actually do like the Void Shield Generator. I just don't have any idea how to model it. Or where I'd shave away the 100 pts other than dropping a Jet or a unit of Tankbustas. If I bumped this list up to 1850, sure. But I feel like dropping a whole unit (that will provide me use all game, ideally) is more useful than a first turn barrier. But I'd love to hear more thoughts about it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Attached is a picture of a void shield generator (VSG) someone modeled. Wish it was mine. I haven't used one before, but I remember a player won a tournament with one and the GT not too many months ago. Per the rule book you can take 3 as a network and it counts as 1 fortification, but a lot of events don't allow this. Basically every unit within 12" is covered by the shield. Mind you that is UNIT not models. You could conga line out away from your VSG and cover the whole GT with it anywhere on the table. If you take a whole network then you are covered multiple times. Each VGS has the option to take additional shields (up to 3). Any shooting attack is resolved against the shield(s) until they go down and they have the potential for regenerating.

I agree though, your list is pretty flushed out as it is and personally I wouldn't want to drop anything. However, 1850 is kind of the standard size for most events I know of.

In the end, they can make you very hard to kill. Debatable if a network should be taken in a friendly game. Kind of a jerk move in my opinion. But if your opponent is ok with it go for it cause they are probably bringing something mean too. It is the kind of thing you don't take randomly but build an army to take advantage of. Kind of like taking the Dakka Jets to take advantage of endless Waaagh! with the GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So here's the edited list considering the Warbosses and Big Choppas suggested:

Green Tide Formation:

Warboss w/ Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armour, Big Bosspole (109 pts) [Warlord]
4x 10 Boyz (4 x 60 = 240 pts)
3x 10 Boyz w/ Nob [BC] (3 x 75 = 225 pts)
3x 10 Boyz w/ Nob [PK] (3 x 95 = 275 pts)

Total: 849 pts

CAD:

HQ:
Warboss w/ Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armour, Da Lucky Stikk (114 pts)
Painboy w/ Grot Orderly (55 pts)

Troops:
10 Grots (35 pts)
10 Grots (35 pts)

Elites:
6 Tankbustas (78 pts)

6 Tankbustas (78 pts)

Fast Attack:

Total: 1749 pts

So I had to drop 2 Tankbustas to squeeze in the upgrades on the GT, but this is taking into consideration all the changes suggested. For DLS Boss I was considering a Big Choppa as well, as he'll still be effective with high strength attacks and dropping the Grot Orderly, then it'll give me the points back to keep those 2 Tankbustas and fill up the maximum 1750 pts.

So my only other change would be:
-Warboss w/Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armour, Da Lucky Stikk (114 pts)
-Grot Orderly (5 pts)

+Warboss w/ Big Choppa, 'Eavy Armour, Da Lucky Stikk (94 pts)
+2 Tankbustas [1 in each squad)] (26 pts)

These are minor changes in the grand scheme of things, as I still feel like 4 Power Klaws is plenty (ideally 14 Klaw attacks on the charge, re-rolling). But having the 2nd Warboss' worth of Power Klaw attacks is valuable and so I can comfortably swing this list either way and be content with it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like the second list more (not that I didn't like the first).

Regarding the extra power klaw nobz I was reading an article recently on the green tide suggesting a common mistake was taking too few klaws, and when I imagine playing against it it's the multiple PKs that scare the crap out of me. Well, along with the buckets of normal attacks too! I've got nothing against dakkajets in any case, and since it's a 1750 list you could always carry around a couple more PK nobz to add in if you ever play 1850 games

Good luck with the list, I'm a big fan of green tides and ork armies in general. I'm sometimes tempted to try it out myself but I'm put off by having to paint all of those boyz :shok:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the second list more (not that I didn't like the first).

Regarding the extra power klaw nobz I was reading an article recently on the green tide suggesting a common mistake was taking too few klaws, and when I imagine playing against it it's the multiple PKs that scare the crap out of me. Well, along with the buckets of normal attacks too! I've got nothing against dakkajets in any case, and since it's a 1750 list you could always carry around a couple more PK nobz to add in if you ever play 1850 games

Good luck with the list, I'm a big fan of green tides and ork armies in general. I'm sometimes tempted to try it out myself but I'm put off by having to paint all of those boyz :shok:
Which variation of list 2: The Big Choppa Boss or the Power Klaw Boss?

I cannot figure out where to squeeze more Power Klaws into the 1750 list without forfeiting effective units (Dakkajets or reducing Tankbustas to minimal size) or just removing Big Choppa Nobz entirely.
I know you suggested dropping a Jet entirely, and that would free up space for objective taking Deffkopta (a unit of 2-3) and then a couple Power Klaws, but something about running 3 Dakkajets seems like too much fun...

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think I would drop the Big choppa Nob entirely and just put that squad near the boss to use his leadership. I think the second power klaw warboss is essential as well as the two extra tankbustas. Especially sense the Eldar have that power lowers LD to the point that the boss is going to be the only one able to attack you want those extra attacks since the Eldar player has to be close to use it.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
So you advocate for dropping the Big Choppa Nobz in the GT entirely, if I'm reading correctly?

I would drop enough to get the warboss the powerklaw and the two extra tankbustas yeah. WHich is probably all the big choppa nobs in the GT. lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
Which variation of list 2: The Big Choppa Boss or the Power Klaw Boss?

I cannot figure out where to squeeze more Power Klaws into the 1750 list without forfeiting effective units (Dakkajets or reducing Tankbustas to minimal size) or just removing Big Choppa Nobz entirely.
I know you suggested dropping a Jet entirely, and that would free up space for objective taking Deffkopta (a unit of 2-3) and then a couple Power Klaws, but something about running 3 Dakkajets seems like too much fun...
I prefer the power klaw option. From the ork perspective I'd want enough high strength low AP attacks in the green tide that I wouldn't go into games afraid of stuff like knights and wraithknights. From the opponent's perspective I'd be thinking of the various lists I have or am in the process of building, and in all cases the power klaw seems like it would be more of a concern

Having said that the two options you suggested don't exactly change the entire character of the list. It's quite likely you could go with either option and your choice might never actually decide the outcome of a game. I often consider whether a choice of wargear or optional weapons in a squad would ever actually result in completely different outcomes to games, and if not I'd probably just take the fluffy or aesthetic option.

I don't have an ork codex to hand but I seem to remember dakkajets do a load of S6 AP3 shooting, or thereabouts? Good for MEQ, MCs, transports etc. They seem like they'd fit into the list well and if triple dakkajets are part of the character of the list then definitely stick with them

You know... now I think of it I'm not so sure about the tankbustas. With only a pair of trukks for the opponent's anti armour to shoot at I can't see them surviving very long at all. It might be better to take more infantry so there's no ground armour to shoot at. One of the issues I see with this list is having too few units to effectively grab objectives, so spamming a bunch of small units could be a more effective strategy. You could always fill up the green tide with rockit launchers to make up for the ranged anti armour you'd lose from the tankbustas

Again, I'm just throwing out suggestions here and I'm far from an expert on orks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Supa Shootas are S6 AP4. So good against everything not Marines essentially lol

Trukks are so fragile and die so easily that it might be worth dropping them. However, they are nothing more than a delivery system, and if they can survive long enough to get my Tankbustas even one movement phase away from Rokkit range then it's worthwhile to me at least. And thinking about it, I can keep the Tankbustas just out of sight from my opponent that they're forced to use shooting on the GT or Dakkajets.

So Power Klaw boss option it is!

·
Registered
522 Posts
If I was to choose a Warboss to lose the PK, it would be the one with the big boss pole. Your Warboss with DLS is more survivable and has a better chance of killing. Your big boss pole Warboss should be lurking at the back, out of challenge range. You don't want to lose fearless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts