Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help my dad out with his list to make it a little more competitive while still retaining that Ork flair. Any help your be great.

HQ
Warboss- Twin-linked Shoota, Boss Pole, AtkSg [85]

Big Mek- Shock Attack Gun [95]

Elites
15 Tankbustas- Nob [236]

15 Burnas [225]

Troops
2x20 Boyz- Slugga/Choppa, Nob, PK [145]ea

FA
20 Stormboys- Zagstruck [240]

10 Warbikes- Nob, Bosspole [265]

HS
Battle Wagon- Ard' case, Riggers, AR plates, Ram, Zapp gun, 4 Big Shootas [160]

2 Deff Dreads- Big Shota, Rokkit, Plates [260]

First glance at the list and it looks like Dropping the PKs and plates would give him enough points to field another unit of Boyz. If you gents have any other ideas or changes we would love to hear them.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
That list is kinda all over the place. You might wanna try reading Culler's army building tactica and Tossy's Boyz Before Toyz article. Here's an example of a 1750 pt. footslogger and a mekinized list that are more focused. :eek:k:

Footslogger

HQ: 313

Ghazghkull Thraka: Adamantium Skull; Bosspole; Cybork Body; Mega Armour; Stikkbombs; Ammo Runt; Big Shoota; Power Klaw

Big Mek: Kustom Force Field

Elite: 420

Kommandos x 15: Burna (x2); Boss Snikrot

Lootas x 11

Troops: 727

Boyz x 30: Nob w/PK&BP

Gretchin x 20: Runtherd

Heavy Support: 290

Killer Kans x 2: Rokkits

Killer Kans x 2: Rokkits

Killer Kans x 2: Grotzookas

Total Cost: 1750

Mekinized

HQ: 240

Mega-armoured Warboss: Mega Armour; Stikkbombs; Attack Squig; Bosspole; Cybork Body; Power Klaw; Twin Linked Shoota

Big Mek: 'Eavy Armour; Cybork Body; Choppa; Shokk Attack Gun

Elite: 225

Burna Boyz x 15

Troops: 879

Meganobz x 5: Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon (x2)
Battlewagon: Armour Plates; Deff Rolla; Red Paint Job; Big Shoota (x2)

Boyz x 20: Nob w/PK&BP

Boyz x 20: Nob w/PK&BP

Boyz x 12: Nob w/PK&BP
Trukk

Gretchin x 20: Runtherd

Heavy Support: 405

Total Cost: 1749

OBGOG

·
Registered
221 Posts
So to build a good Ork army you basically have four general concepts that you can pick from and then expand upon to get you where you want to be. You have the two foot slogan list; green tide hoard and killer kan wall. And then you have the two mech list; speed freaks in trukks, and then the o’ so delicious cheesy battlewagon list.

Notice how each concept has roughly the same amount of movement points. Having your force advance evenly is key. If you deviate from that you’ll be attacking in waves and thus making the opponents target priority decisions all that much easier in addition to thinning out your fire power. And secondly also notice how each list has a way to maximize the number of troops that get into melee, wither its through sear numbers, cleaver use of units, speed, or pure tank awesomeness.

The two list provided by OrkByTheGraceOfGork meet the guild lines applied above and thus are effective list. The list you provided mixes too many ideas to be effective; you have walkers w/ a big Mek that does not have a KFF so it can’t be an effective wall list. 40 foot slogan boyz is not nearly enough for a green tide list, and the battle wagon will attract all the ant tank on the field because it’s all by it’s lonesome. And you storm boyz and bikers will be torn to shreds when they launch ahead of the rest of your army.

So think about which type of army you want, and then use about 2/3 of your points to make the concept work and fill in the rest with the fun fluffy stuff you like.

Also some side notes; tank busters are no good, PK are a must for your nobz w/ boyz(so don’t drop them) as is boss poles, Zagstruck will kill your units more than he will kill the enemy, your war bike mob is too big break it apart so you can add another nob with PK, and yes that nob needs a PK also(it’s your best bet to kill armor), and battle wagons are best with a deffrolla over a big gun(it’s more fun too.)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Most of the good stuff has been covered above. A couple things I live by with my Orks.

Every nob in a boyz squad needs a Power Klaw and a Bosspole - No ifs, ands or buts.

Every warboss needs a power klaw and cybork body at a minimum - the str 10 klaw is needed. I usually throw mine on a bike and toss him in with other bikers. Which leads me to my next point.

Why field warbikers when you can field nob bikers. Wound allocation is key with nob bikers, as is painboy, waagh banner, power klaws and big choppas.

If going Mek or Kans, always have a KFF around.

Why take a trukk when you can take a battlewagon? If you take a battlewagon why not throw a deffrolla on it.

Big shootas are always worth it over the rokkits.

Shoota boyz > choppa boyz.

Those are things always in my head when building ork lists. If you want a typical list I might run in a comp. setting, PM me.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Crimzzen, but I'll break it down by unit for clarity (I'm also trying to use existing models and units in this critique rather than what would be best. For that, direct your Dad to my tactica and/or follow the sage advice given here by others. I'd steer clear of nob bikers in a casual setting though, they're just too dominating there.

Warboss- Twin-linked Shoota, Boss Pole, AtkSg [85]
Needs a power klaw to be worth taking, and your warbikers need a leader with a decent leadership, it's a match made in heaven if you can find a warbike for your boss. The twin-linked shoota is completely not worth it though. The only shooty upgrade I'd recommend for warbosses is a kombi-skorcha, and usually only if he is on a bike and has the mobility to use it.

Big Mek- Shock Attack Gun [95]
The very definition of the perfect casual-play Ork unit, this guy is not very useful but is very fun to use. He's much happier with a gretchin mob to stand in though and hold objectives, which combined with how useful and cheap gretchin are I'd really recommend picking up a couple boxes so you can field the 19 or so and 1 runtherd. His big advantage is the ap 2, but cover is so prevalent in 5th and combined with your own mobs getting in the way from his shots in the back row, pretty much everything he shoots at will have cover.

15 Tankbustas- Nob [236]
They don't really need the nob, those are pretty much wasted points. As well tankbustas are really rubbish (fragile, glory hog makes them retarded, short range.) I'd just call these guys lootas (they have big weapons after all) and he'll be much better off.

15 Burnas [225]
These guys need to be riding in an open-topped battlewagon or not taken at all. 15 high cost, slow, short range, fragile, poor leadership guys are easy pickings.

2x20 Boyz- Slugga/Choppa, Nob, PK [145]
Ork boyz are some of the best troop choices in 40k, with the more in the mob, the merrier, and you need them to score objectives. This list is sadly lacking in the Ork bread and butter. Shootas would be better for walking mobs, and 30 would be better than 20, but black reach Orks are cheap so just piling on more slugga boyz works in a casual setting.

20 Stormboys- Zagstruck [240]
Dangerous unit to use but fun when it works, good for casual gaming. I'd suggest fielding with a PK Nob now and then and zooming them up behind the warbikers for a change of pace now and then.

10 Warbikes- Nob, Bosspole [265]
Warbikers are good for casual gaming, especially when you throw a warboss on a bike in there. Warbikers come in packs of 3 so your Dad probably has the bitz to make a special looking nob and call him a warboss.

Battle Wagon- Ard' case, Riggers, AR plates, Ram, Zapp gun, 4 Big Shootas [160]
Battlewagons are for transporting and they do this best open-topped and cheap. Dropping the zapp gun and the ard case would make this a good ride for the burnas. Getting more battlewagons for the boyz would make this a fully mechanized army and it would be better off.

2 Deff Dreads- Big Shota, Rokkit, Plates [260]
Figure out if there are supposed to shoot at infantry or vehicles. One of each is a waste. Really, these things should be running until they can charge or are immobilized, so big shootas are really the best way to go.

First glance at the list and it looks like Dropping the PKs and plates would give him enough points to field another unit of Boyz.
You always want to have PKs in your boyz mobs, it is what makes them actually worthwhile against marines and such. Literally the whole squad sometimes kills as many or fewer of the enemy as the powerklaw nob in assault, and with up to 30 ablative wounds that nob is hard to take out.

That leaves just figuring out the style of army and tactics. With my suggestions he would have a reasonable walking element (deff dreads and boyz) and a reasonable fast element (burnas in battlewagon, warbikers, stormboyz), with lootas and big mek for backup. This is a hammer/anvil style army (though not a very strong one) with the basic tactics being a general central push with the walking elements and one flank being hit by the fast elements. As the enemy brings forces to bear on the fast elements on the flank, the walking elements intercept those reinforcements and engage central elements. Then the whole force sweeps sideways for the remainder, captures objectives, etc.

Some ways to expand this army towards more competitive army lists would be adding more battlewagons, dropping the dreads and swapping the SAG for a KFF, and going fully mechanized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.