Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my nipplewing list is having some issues with firepower, and survivability. Decided to recruit some GK cheese... any thoughts? I'm currently at 1875, and I'm trying to get it cut down to 1750

BA:
Dante 225
Sanguinary Guard, 4x sword, 1x axe, 2x melta pistols 220
Sanguinary Guard, 2x sword, 2x axe, 1x powerfist, 1x plasma pistol 220
Sanguinary Guard, 3x sword, 1x axe, 1x powerfist, 1x plasma pistol, chapter banner 250
Sanguinary Priest, JP, power sword 90
Stormraven, TL assault cannon, TL multi melta 200

GK allies:
Brother Captain, psybolt ammo, 2x servo skulls 165
5 GK termies, psybolt ammo, psycannon, 2x Hammer, 2x Halberd, 1x Sword 245
Dreaknight, Heavy incinerator, personal teleporter, greatsword, 260

The plan is Dante + melta squad deep strike, and the GK models (save the dreadknight) deep strike with the help of servo-skulls. Never used GK before, this is just what I've seen to be effective. Any ideas? I'd like to test this list out on tuesday so fast advice would be great!
-Arcticor

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
I would say your making problems worse doing this. That is a lot of points for 6 models. One plasma cannon shot would nuke them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh. I see your point. One of my GK-playing friends told me to make this change.

BA:
Dante 225
Sanguinary Guard, 3x sword, 1x axe, 1x powerfist, 1x plasma pistol, chapter banner 250
Sanguinary Priest, JP, power sword 90
Stormraven, TL assault cannon, TL multi melta 200

GK allies:
Inquisitor in termie armour, daemon hammer, psycannon, mastery level one, 2 servo skulls 116
10man strike squad, 2 psycannons, psybolt 240
Dreaknight, Heavy incinerator, personal teleporter, greatsword, 260

Total: 1821. I need to drop 71 points. Any ideas how?

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Dump the plasma pistols and maybe strip the gear off the inq, if he gets in cc he is dead most likely.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Suggestion: if you're having issues with firepower, why not just drop in a few Riflemen dreadnoughts from the BA? They get you range and some decent mid-strength firepower.

if you're dead set on GK (not a bad choice, but you're stacking costly on costly), I might suggest taking the 'raven away from the Angels, and giving it to the knights. Add the Hurricane sponsons and Psyammo, because it benefits the bolters, assault cannons, and sponsons. It's more costly, but it's a stronger gunship. You could zoom in with a strike squad and drop them where they'd do some damage.

Alternatively, you could use Castellan Crowe with a 10-man squad of Purifiers, with a quad of flamers and make a mess of whatever you drop in close to, and then assault with them. Feels alot like the rest of your army.

I think in terms of your Sanguinarys, I'd get rid of the Power Fists, and the Plasma Pistols. Plasma pistols are never really worth the points that are thrown into them; I'd rather use more Infernus pistols and let them also do the anti-tank instead of using Fists. This way at least everything still has the MC role, and you have something to pop high toughness if your Axes don't do the trick.

The dreadknight is a great unit, and a beautiful choice for your allies, but it's just too costly, I think. It'd be the perfect thing to add to go from 1750 to 2000, but you've got so many expensive units that I think it'd serve you better as rounding the rest out. You could use his points for 2 riflemen instead for ranged support, or two more priests even.

That's the last piece... The priest feels kind of out there. I know why he's there, but there's only one of him, and you're trying to give his aura all over the place. If it were me, he'd be the first target on the board.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Xabre. I've taken some of your advice (but sorry, I love the dreadknight). Here is what I've come up with

BA:
Dante 225
Sanguinary Guard, 3x sword, 1x axe, 1x powerfist, chapter banner 240

GK allies:
Inquisitor in termie armour, daemon hammer, psycannon, 3 servo skulls 89
10man strike squad, 2 psycannons, psybolt 240
Stormraven, MM, assault cannon, hurricane bolters, psybolt 255
Dreadknight, Heavy incinerator, personal teleporter, greatsword, 260
Total: 1749

What I did was I dropped the priest, switched over the stormraven, dropped the mastery level on the inquisitor, and dropped a plasma pistol on the chapter banner squad. I gave the Inquisitor an additional servo skull because I had 4 points left over and nothing to buy. The plan will be Dante and his unit deepstrike, the inquisitor deepstrikes with a combat squadded strike squad (2x psycannons). I'm not sure what to do with the other 5man strike squad, or even if they can go in reserve (the whole half the army thing, I'm not sure how combat squads effect it, or if its half rounding up or down, etc)
-Arcticor

·
Registered
491 Posts
i'd put the other combat squad in the stormchicken have drop them off on an objective/in a position to shoot the enemy at an opportune time. i also totally agree with Xabre about the melta pistol vs. plasma pistol thing (although i'm partial to melta cause i face your necrons a lot). i feel like dropping the chapter banner (because it's just 5 more attacks) and the plasma pistol in favour of mastery level1 on the inq would be better, because prescience gives you a lot of re-rolls on your 3 psycannons and str5 stormbolters

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I'm not sure what to do with the other 5man strike squad, or even if they can go in reserve (the whole half the army thing, I'm not sure how combat squads effect it, or if its half rounding up or down, etc)
-Arcticor

Important to note that Combat Squads has changed quite a bit.

It used to be that they could be in reserve and Combat Squad just before being put on the table.

Now you have to do it just before the deployment phase beings, so yes they do count towards the number of units in reserve etc

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts