Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a bunch of downtime since classes havent started up again for me, and I tried my hand at creating a decent armour-heavy IG list. I don't actually play Imperial Guard at all, I just thought it would be fun to theorize.

- Imperial Guard CAD:
* company command squad (creed, chimera w camo) 220
* Vet squad, taurox 110
* Vet squad, taurox 110
* 3x Armoured Sentinel Squadron, 3x autocannons 135
* Wyvern, camo netting 80
* Wyvern, camo netting 80
* Aegis Defense Line 50

- Imperial Guard The Steel Host
* Hydra, camo netting 85
* Tank command squad, 2x vanquishers w lascannons and camo 350
* Leman Russ Battle Tank, camo netting 165
* Leman Russ Battle Tank, camo netting 165
* Leman Russ Executioner, plasma sponsons, camo 200

Total is 1750 on the nose. Some things I tried to fit in but couldnt find the points for were primaris psychers for prescience, and Enginseers since I have a ton of tanks. Thoughts?
-Arcticor

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well, let's see... criticism ahead! :biggrin:
creed imo, has no real usefulness. Who are you going to outflank?? i tell you: no one. So, he can begone.
Vet squads without weapons are like a woman without a "EDIT:" Hamster. With creed points, get some meltaguns in there.
Sentinels...armoured..are too costly. A banewolf or hellhound is way more performing, imo. anyhow i'd take another meltavets unit in taurox, since you'll need some mobile units.
vanquishers..meh. you are paying lots of points for some lascannons. anyway, let's say they are ok...
the executioner...200 pts for a thing that can hurt himself and can be silenced with minimal effort...mmh. i'd rather take 3 wyvern and use them against 2+ models if needed. much more reliable and tactical. also three models instead of 1!

also, don't forget to put Hflamers on every Hydra, wyvern and chimera!

what do you think?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... good point about Creed. I saw that he rerolled orders and forgot that I can't order around my tanks (like an ignores cover leman russ would even be fair). As obnoxious as it is, I like the concept of plonking my entire army in one spot and shooting from there (with some mobile units to grab objectives late game). I've come to terms with my lack-of-tactical-prowess, and figured this set up will be better for me. I see your point about the executioner being nigh useless after a crew shaken. With the steel host formation I'd need a leman russ to take its place, what would you suggest? I'd still like some ap2 blasts for TeQ, so currently its a demolisher. I threw in the vendetta as anti-air which isnt useless against ground targets *cough* hydra *cough*. Unfortunately its required for the steel host detachment.

Company command squad, heavy lascannon team, chimera with camo netting 160
Veteran squad, 2x meltagun, Taurox 130
Veteran squad, 2x meltagun, Taurox 130
Vendetta, 3x TL lascannons 170
Wyvern, heavy flamer, camo 80
Wyvern, heavy flamer, camo 80
ADL 50

Hydra, heavy flamer, camo netting 85
Tank Commander squad, 2x vanquishers, lascannons, camo nets 350
Leman Russ Battle Tank, camo nets 165
Leman Russ Battle Tank, camo nets 165
Leman Russ Demolisher, camo nets 185

Total: 1750. Thoughts?
-Arcticor

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Vet squads without weapons are like a woman without a vagina. With creed points, get some meltaguns in there.
Whoa now, let's not value women purely on sexual organs--as you might well know, there are several trans women on the forum, who make such a biology-specific reductionist view of gender even more patently invalid than simply "lacking the penetrative organ that I personally pursue"...

I mean, I get that you're trying to turn a phrase in the interest of humor. And Vets without special weapons are, admittedly, damned useless. Still, I feel uncomfortable letting such a phrase fly unchallenged... for what it's worth.

Sentinels...armoured..are too costly. A banewolf or hellhound is way more performing, imo
If sentinels are too costly and you'd rather take a Hellhound of some capacity, I can't help but wonder as to how you view the Hellhound and its siblings vs a Wyvern. As far as cover-ignoring anti-infantry goes, I'd rather have 2 Wyverns than 1 Hellhound. In terms of the Banewolf (almost typed Baewolf--the horror!), I'd almost have 2-3 lascannons from Armored Sentinels in the same cost bracket as a single melta blast, unless I'm playing against one of those rare and blessed innocent opponents who disembarks and marches forward in lockstep formation rather than spreading out so that small blasts don't have much effect. I mean, a small blast melta will hit a single tank pretty regularly, so its only other value is AP1 against heavy infantry, so...

But I don't mean to get side-tracked. I agree that Creed in a mostly-armor list won't do much, so, looking at your second list:

I'd be tempted to take Chimeras over Tauroxes. The mere novelty of having demi-tracked vehicles over wholly-tracked vehicles isn't enough to counterbalance the flexibility of the Chimera's front-facing armament coupled with the hatchback firing and the two marginal lasbanks.

I would honestly be tempted to take an Executioner still, risk of Shaking be damned--but as a member of the Command squad, rather than with 2 Vanquishers. That said, perhaps the tactic is best applied with Pask or the Warlord (rerolling on a D3 for the Preferred Enemy tactic, with a CAD) so that the chance of getting a Preferred Enemy Warlord Trait result and being able to reroll Gets Hot results is damned high. That way, you can focus fire alongside the Vanquisher or Split Fire, with the Tank Commander's Order, as necessary. And if the Vanquisher in the squad is out front, soaking up the Shaken results, etc... you only really have to be concerned about a Fire Dragon squad or something else that would be able to deal with a Leman Russ's front-facing AV14 and stack more glances/pens on other vehicles in the unit.

Ahem ahem. Right. As for the list. I'm a firm supporter of at least one Vendetta included in, on account of its AA capabilities--which are just as effective as its AT capabilities, should the enemy not have any fliers, thanks to the "choosing Skyfire or not" bit. Since you don't have any Platoons (for PCSes or SWSes), I might honestly recommend throwing your CCS into the Vendetta's limited carrying space with maxed out special weapons... though if you move your Warlord to being the tank squad rather than the CCS, its mere importance for inclusion in the list might really get less important. Unless you want to stick to the dual-CAD for 6 HS choices (looking at your list, it doesn't even look like you have the Troops choices for such a second CAD, but I may be misreading thing), even with the HQ tank commander bit, but... well, dropping the CSS's Chimera so that it can go in the Vendetta would certainly save points.

Still. I approve wholeheartedly of tanks behind ADLs with camo for a 3+ cover save. Armored regiments are certainly easier to move around the board than Infantry ones, and can give you an edge in terms of fast tourney play.

My issue with Hydras is that they don't have Interceptor. As such, an enemy flyer (whether it be a Crimson Hunter Exarch, Vendetta, Dakkajet, or Heldrake with HAC) can move on and take out a lone Hydra with impunity. A friend of mine suggested moving the Hydra on from reserve so that whenever the AM player has the second turn, they get the unmitigated punch there... but that means only snap-firing one of its two autocannons, since it moved, a la the frankly silly vehicle movement rules in 7e.

At this point, I don't know how cohesively all my advise hangs together, but can't help but feel that while you have a fairly strong list, there are definitely ways you could possibly improve it.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I mean, I get that you're trying to turn a phrase in the interest of humor. And Vets without special weapons are, admittedly, damned useless. Still, I feel uncomfortable letting such a phrase fly unchallenged... for what it's worth.
well...damn, i guess you are right. Wasn't intended to be offensive. Let's say "without boobs". We can't argue about boobs. :biggrin:

I can't help but wonder as to how you view the Hellhound and its siblings vs a Wyvern
touche. i just can't stand any kind of cheese spam, so i was trying to divert this list from the wyvern galore trail...but i'm on your side 100%. want to fuck enemy infantry? Wyverns like it's raining.

About the list, that demolisher with camo is good, but since it's mostly going to support infantry, he will be on the move and could as well remove the camo netting.

Hydra too...could begone, thinking about it: not enough to scare 2 fliers, not enough to kill that odd helldrake, and if facing just one of any other flyier...you can as well ignore it and take another infantry group to protect your rear armour...

I'm not a fan of vanquishers too, but removing them would mean to lose all the real antitank (apart from vets with boobs).

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I'm not a fan of vanquishers too, but removing them would mean to lose all the real antitank (apart from vets with boobs).
Vets with boobs... ah, if only GW would cotton on to the success of the Raging Heroes female Guard kickstarter...

I mean--you're right, honestly. Little tops a Vanquisher's single shot in terms of sheer penetrative power, but getting that hit is hardly reliable, even with Primaris Psykers backing you up, and taking an enemy vehicle out of action on the basis of a single shot is, again, hardly reliable.

I mean, I guess the "purely competitive" option would be to field more Vendettas, for sheer weight of twin-linked lascannon firepower, AA or AT, but...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
...you would become that which you despise...
How well you know me. :blackeye:

(a woman without a... hampster? certainly less offensive to anyone who observes, for its inane innocuousness. I cannot, in such context, disagree!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts