Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two different versions. I'm no exert with the IG, so I'll need some heavy advice. Just in case, I don't rebut much advice, I just try to explain my thought processes and welcome constructive criticisms. Both lists are Russ Heavy and neither makes good use of veteran special weapons. They also both use an Astra CAD and a Steel Host formation.

DEFENSE LINE

Astra Militarum
90 Company Command (Lascannon, Camo)

90 Vets (Lascannon, Forward Sentries)
90 Vets (Lascannon, Forward Sentries)

150 LRBT
150 LRBT
130 2x Wyvern

50 ADL

Steel Host
230 Pask Punisher
170 Demolisher

185 Plasmacutioner
185 Plasmacutioner
160 Exterminator (Las, Melta)

70 Hydra (HF)

=1750

VOID SHIELD

Astra Militarum
80 Company Command (Lascannon)

80 Vets (Lascannon)
80 Vets (Lascannon)

150 LRBT
150 LRBT
130 2x Wyvern

100 Void Shield Gen (3x Shields)

Steel Host
230 Pask Punisher
170 Demolisher

185 Plasmacutioner
185 Plasmacutioner
140 Eradicator (HF, Melta)

70 Hydra (HF)

=1750

I hate the hydra, but it's a tax with the formation. I love pask not being my warlord as he and the demolisher rush up with tank orders turn one. The plasmacutioners follow for the 12" preferred enemy bubble. The Eradicator/Exterminator just doesn't feel right to me in either list, but I needed a cheap LR. One can blast armor, the other can either hit armor or jetbikes/shrub-humpers.

Basically I like to know what's good, and what I have that's bad. I do like out of the box thinking though so feel free to give out some good theories. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Nice terry pratchett quote there!

I really like the defence line list in outline, the feel of it is very much how I play my elite infantry - hold the centre or a flank and use the muscle to beat the enemy over the head from the other flank. I don't as a rule like lascannons, but veterans would be the way to do it. If you don't face landraiders and monoliths a lot in games, I'd suggest dropping them for autocannons for the extra shot, but that's just personal preference.

As for the tanks, that formation is one I really like, but I'd be inclined to drop an executioner for another Demolisher with pask... they are just so destructive when they hit - but I like insurance that they do get a hit. Pask in a punisher is a popular choice but the tax on him (for steel host) compared to a less formationy but cheaper vulture punisher with tank support.

However, other than lascannons out, I think that this list is brutal and great and would enjoy playing it to put some pain on my opponents.

List two I think would be fun to model but less effective - Your camo cloaks don't gain as much potential (I think - is this shield generator still an AV12 protection within 12"?), and I am a firm believer in the power of the LR Exterminator after playing it alongside my vanquisher commander for a few games!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! It's one of my favorites.

I was actually leaning towards the second list just due to all the xenos I face. Also, there is no camo in the second list. I'd stick my objectives right on the edges of my void shield bubble and hide my infantry and wvyerns inside it. That idea was to force a choice for the opponent anti-tank. "Do I shoot the tanks that are killing me, or the units holding the objectives behind 3 AV12 'hulls'?" Of course any dedicated CC and anti-tank units will be target priority one for me. The way I saw it, is the ADL, while good cover, can still be shot through with mass firepower. That void shield is going to take a lot of focus from the few weapons that can actually hurt it. And those will be needed elsewhere. Both can be assaulted through.

I always take autocannons with BS3 guys. But being a marine player I know the value of BS4 Las. And even with all those Russes, I wanted more anti-tank due to my lack of melta. I just don't trust the vanquisher. I've never used one, it just doesn't impress me on paper without pask. And he's needed elsewhere.

I made an argument on another post where a new guy had a vet squad with a lascannon. I supported him because it's ten points cheaper than a 5-man marine squad with a las. Obviously seasoned IG players love their special weapons. If the conversation was in person I'm pretty sure one or two of those guys would have cut me.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read through all that. What is a vulture punisher?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I may have been mistaken about the void shield... I did a test game tonight against one of my other list (GK Purifiers in Las/Plas Razors) and they smashed the crap out of that void shield turn one and the rest of my army only took down two 5 man units and their transports the second half of that turn. I'm thinking I want the Exterminator now. Wvyerns should do good enough about killing things that have to hide.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
GK are a hard list to face for our guardsmen unless we are running totally overwhelming fire power - more bodies than they have shots in a game and lots of tanks bubble wrapped.

Sorry to hear that the strategy was torn to tatters, but I suggest play testing a few more times against different lists - orks, tyrranids and eldar each have a fairly radically different playstyle to those elite GK.

I don't really care for the vanquisher either except that my FW model looks so cool that I refuse to not use it from time to time - mind you, the Macharius Vanquisher looks far and away more diabolical.

IG are a very flexible army, I tend to run special weapons too because it is either dramatically effective or fits in with my army fluff wise... but I don't play competitively, and have often run naked vets to screen, camo and demo vets for a one off and surprise charge, and heavily armed harker vets for heavy weapons firing. They are all fun.

Wyverns being open topped really makes them fragile as there tends to be a lot of strength eight weaponry or higher floating around in games this size. I still think that they are beyond worth it with their mortars, but I find that I tend to shield them behind things rather than the other way around.

Exterminator is pretty much the old hydra rules on up-armoured steroids... against ground targets. Doesn't beat old reliable LRBT, but it's a stand up alternative.

The vulture is a FW valkyrie variant, a gunship. The run of the mill options for it are pretty mediocre, but as soon as you put the twin linked punisher cannon on it the thing becomes a terrifying weapon of death that rains down lead (or dice) from the sky... though not against AV12+. However, at 155 points it comes in cheaper than a Vendetta and more effective than a Valkyrie or a LR Punisher.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Navy/VULTURE-GUNSHIP.html

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Navy/AIRCRAFT_PUNISHER_CANNONS.html

I have two.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Don't we all, my friend. Don't we all. Dose cannons.

BUT failing resorting to Forge World (which is a perfectly legitimate personal choice or competitive tourney decision)

The thing I really love about Wyverns is their Barrage capability, coupled with their twin-linkedness, as it were: you don't need to be in line of sight, and your first, and deciding, hit can almost always be just about right where you want it. If it isn't in the right place, you have 2 chances for it to scatter into a similarly right place... which is to say, ou don't need to worry about S8+ enemy shooting if you're entirely hidden behind cover and totally out of sight. The Exterminator, on the othet hand... has a single twin-linked autocannon, plus paid-for sponsons, so I really dunno if it's worth the double-cost plus of a Hydra.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
single twin-linked autocannon
Codex is in my car, but I'm pretty sure that the Exterminator Autocannon is heavy 4 twin linked. So, two TL Autocannons. Not that this undermines your point necessarily, but personal experience has been very favourable towards this tank for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts