[150]

Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull Heavy Flamer
[165]

Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull Heavy Flamer
[165]

[1750]

Just revisiting my list as my metagame changes.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Well it has exactly the same units I field in the majority of my lists -
- SWS is the same, and in a Vendetta
- PCS ditto
- Demo's are the same build

the only real difference is one of my Vets has Plasma as well as my CCS, and my 'blob' is 30-strong.

Cheers!..yea results would be good to know, best of luck:victory:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to a 1776pt tourney sometime soon, I will bring this with the following change:
-1 Plasma Pistol, +1 Officer of the Fleet

Seem logical? Or should I opt for some hidden Power Weapons in my blob unit?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Taking multiple PW/PF's is a hell of a lot more effective than just the 1 here 1 there kinda deal that some do..they should at least achieve something wortwhile if all the Sgts have them plus the Commissar.

How long do your 20-Man Blobs last (I run 30)?

That said, I don't bother with any sort of c/c weapon..I can even build a 3K list with zero in it.

The OoTF can sometimes be a handicap, inthat the Enemy's reserves can come in mid/late game with a fresh unit that can really hurt. I think they're a toss-up..to take or not to take, if you get my drift:grin:

I always take an Astro though.

I sometimes take a PP as well..I guess it depends on if you usually get within the PP's range to enable you to fire it as well as the other 3 Plasmas, as to if it's worth the trade or not.

Sorry to ramble on..I don't think it's a clear cut choice deciding between the 2 options.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this list has a 30-man blob squad, meaning I could squeeze in three Power Weapons. Stick those guys in area terrain and no one is going to want to assault them off the objective and shooting is less reliable. Think I may do that over the Officer and hell, it gives me a chance to model up three Sergeants with Power Weapons now!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Geez I must be going blind..I looked at your list 3 times and only saw 2, sorry 'bout that.

Yea they're quite resilient really..it's the Commissar that does the trick.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D Well, I got a chance to roll with this list. Sadly, it was against an un-tuned, rather lacking Tau list. The player was a great guy and a good sport overall, but this is a pretty min/max list meant for strict tournament play and I managed to get him to call it on the end of turn 4, with only 5 models remaining on the board and me having lost only a a dozen guys from my out-in-the-open platoon (not enough terrain for them to use due to deployment) and two Chimeras. Highlight was my second turn outflanking Vendettas smoking his Broadsides.

I am hoping to get this through some more rigorous testing in the coming weeks in order to pull out a win at the 1776pt tournament at my shop in September.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yea..some victories can feel rather hollow at times, especially mis-matched ones such as yours. Hard matchups are what's needed before any Tournament that's for sure.

Cheers.

·
4,491 Posts
Sorry if its slightly off topic, but ive been watching this thread since day 1 and i am really curious as to why the tournament is 1776 points?
Does the number have any significance? Or just random?

By the way, i love the list. Im planning on doing something near identical but with all Chimeras instead of Vendettas, and artillery instead of LR's.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KingOfCheese said:
Sorry if its slightly off topic, but ive been watching this thread since day 1 and i am really curious as to why the tournament is 1776 points?
Does the number have any significance? Or just random?
No significance that I know of. Just something a local gaming club is hosting at the LGS.

KingOfCheese said:
By the way, i love the list. Im planning on doing something near identical but with all Chimeras instead of Vendettas, and artillery instead of LR's.
That would radically change how the list works. Vendettas are vital, as they offer up a cheap, mobile transport with nasty, nasty shooting. Also, Artillery can work, but I find that at under 2000pt, Leman Russ tanks work better. Just preference, though, I suppose.

·
Registered
108 Posts
vendettas are 130pts, a chimera is noly 55, thats two chimeras for one vendetta and you still have 10pts left!

artillery works if your board is long enough, but if your enemy is horde and is running at you, your gonna run out of range unless you use a siege mortar

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vendettas are 130pts, a chimera is noly 55, thats two chimeras for one vendetta and you still have 10pts left!

artillery works if your board is long enough, but if your enemy is horde and is running at you, your gonna run out of range unless you use a siege mortar
Those two Chimeras do not sport a trio of TL Lascannons, either. Nor are they as mobile, nor do they Outflank or anything. In fact, the last game I played, I won because of an Outflanking Vendetta with a scoring unit landing on an objective that they couldn't get to in time to take back.

As for artillery, there is no minimum range for direct fire, meaning you can always shoot over open sights at the enemy. However, artillery tends to work better at 2000pt and higher, from my experiences. The Russ shines at 1500-1850, though.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Which is why we take both Chimeras and Vendettas, although the Chimera is the better transport, while the Vendetta is best used as a Gunship for the first few turns, but has a scoring unit (like a SWS) that can be used late game such as how OldHat used it.

And yes, 130 pts for 3 t/l Lascannons..nothing compares to it, which is why many people bitch and moan about it. I see it getting a large points increase next Codex, although that is years away.

Artillery is an alpha-strike type of unit...it does the majority of its damage in the first few turns (hopefully massive damage), anything beyond that is considered gravy:grin:

Russes are for causing consistent damage throughout the course of the game, but not necessarily massive damage like Artillery.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, first round of the 1776pt tournament and it was Victory Points. All that the opponent had left was a single Plague Marine who wasn't running. That means that I didn't get the points for him, which took my would-be Massacre to a Major. Priceless!

Next round was against Orks. Not a big deal, usually, but this was a "special" objective mission where 6 markers were placed and no one knew which was the genuine objective. To take it, you had to be in base-to-base for a whole turn and vehicles couldn't take them. See the problem? Yea, the objective wound up being in the center of the board - right in front of the Ork players deployment. He piled ~40 Orks onto it on turn 5 and the games all ended on turn 6.

Yea, 3+ gone-to-ground cover saves and not nearly enough firepower to make the unit run or all die - the only two ways to make them drop the objective once they took it. If you had the objective, you got a Massacre. If you didn't, you were Massacred. A bit too black-and-white for my tastes, but I think it was meant to hinder Mech armies on purpose - excluding Eldar.

The last mission was another crazy set-up I didn't care for. Primary objective was Kill Points, secondary was Objectives (3 total on board), and the tertiary was Table Quarters. The primary gave up 12pt, the secondary 7pt, the tertiary 5pt, or something in that ballpark - totaling 24pt. Played against all-Jump Blood Angels and the guy's dice were on fire. Despite that, he had 2 troop models on the board left on an objective and Dante contesting the center one with my Vendetta, while my blob held the right side objective. Tied in KP, despite me almost tabling him, tied in objectives, and I won in quarters. Dante passed all but a single save that game, despite being shot with Meltas, Plasma, Lascannons, and Demolisher rounds. It was absurd!

Awful, awful result for me all around. Pairings seemed to be the biggest factor, as with most tournaments. Instead, I got the only player with hordes available on round two, while the rest of the field was mostly MEQ with low model counts, where my weight of fire would have been more effective.

Anyhow, the list is solid, but just not my day. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've just picked up this thread with interest. I've not played IG and I'm curious about a couple of aspects to your list, so would you be kind enough to humour me and explain a couple of points?

1. Why Demolishers over standard LRTs? I would have thought the greater range of the standard battle cannon allowed you to keep out of harm's way whereas a Demolisher has to move up. Is the AP2 so important?

2.Why does the 'blob' consist of the 3 Infantry platoons whilst the PCS goes in a Vendetta to pinch an objective? I would have thought the 'blob' would work better if it consisted of 2 Infantry platoons plus the PCS as then it could be given orders - fewer men but more firepower, whilst the objective pinching role would benefit from a few extra bodies.

3. What's the principal role for the Hydras? In SM lists I have used mid strength weapons (ie 5,6,7) for taking out lighter vehicles and MCs (especially the irritating ones with Inv saves) but I've never had the number of TL Las shots that you've got. If the role is anti-infantry would you consider using a Manticore (putting down an average of two pie plates a turn) as a viable alternative?

4. Last year I played (and beat) an IG player in a tournie who used a Psyker Battle Squad in a Chimera. I was using a mix of vanilla and cult CSM and the Psykers really worried me because of the Str of the attack (10) and the possibility of a very low AP. Would you consider substituting one of these for a Vet squad especially in the light of your experience with the Orks (as in your batrep)?

Thanks in advance
TT
PS the tournie win was vastly helped by drawing a cityscape board to fight over - I was always in cover and lines of sight were very restricted - so it wasn't my briolliance that carried the day!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1) S10 AP2 Ordnance Large Blast. Worth 15pt, if you ask me. Cracking tanks or cutting through infantry, it is a monster. My list runs at my opponent, unlike some Guard lists, so I expect to get close anyhow.

2) PCS cannot join the blob. Also, it is a super-cheap scoring unit for the Vendetta. The blob doesn't need orders most of the time to be effective.

3) The Hydra does it all. I can crack light armor easily, tear up infantry, and it is hell on Skimmers, which I would usually have trouble with. Good price, too.

4) PBS are nice, but I need more beef at this point value. At 2K, yes, I take them. However, my first and last matches they would have been a lot less useful. Also, I didn't anticipate Orks and MEQ was all over the place. Not worth taking when most folks just regroup.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Many thanks. That's all very helpful. I may post a 1500 point list based around yours in the next couple of days for comments.

Regardfs
TT

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Many thanks. That's all very helpful. I may post a 1500 point list based around yours in the next couple of days for comments.

Regardfs
TT
No problem. I have been playing Guard for about a year now, so anything I do is for reasons based on my playing experiences, which I hope can help folks along. Guard are not as easy as people think, especially at the list-building phase of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts