Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I am currently building out my first Space Marine army. It is a DIY chapter called the Orphans of Maximo and will be a successor to the Imperial Fists.
Fluff still being built but I have started a very early days project log here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146761
In order for me to focus my mind and get a core of 1750 points built and painted along with fluff, I need to come up with a list that will be both fluffy and relatively competitive. I have never played a game of 40k but I do want this to be a part of my hobby going forward - but not to the detriment of models and units that I love.
Not negotiable is the inclusion of Assault Termies and at least some Sternguard. I will get around to modelling and building some bikers (converted) but they will not be among my first 1750 points. Will look to add these so I have a "plan b" once my core is built..
To that end.. I would LOVE some feedback on the below. Any help will be GRATEFULLY received :)

HQ

Captain w/ Artificer, Thunder Hammer & Shield Eternal
190 points

Troops:

Tact Squad x 10 w/ Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun, Combi Plas
Rhino
215 points

Tact Squad x 10 w/ Missile Launcher (flakk), Flamer
Rhino
205 Points

Tact Squad x 10 w/ Missile Launcher (flakk), Plasma Gun
Rhino
215 Points

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad x5 w/ Missile Launcher x2, Lascannon x 2
140 points

Devastator Squad x5 w/ Missile Launcher x2, Lascannon x 2
140 points

Stormraven w/ TL Multi Melta, TL Assault Cannon, Extra Armour
210 points

Elite:

Assault Terminators x5 w/ LC x2 (Sergeant), THSS, x3
200 points

Sternguard Vets x 5 w/ 3 Combi Plas, Heavy Flamer
Razorback w/ TL Lascannon
235 points

Total: 1750

Plan is to run the Captain with the Termies in the Stormraven as my trouble causing unit and point it at the biggest of bad. It will give my opponent something to think about while the rest of my army does what it does best - shoot stuff.

The Stormraven has extra armour to try and keep it alive long enough to deposit it's payload and then fly around shooting stuff.

By the way, I have no idea about my local area Meta as I have not started playing or finding people to play with. I guess I have tried to go all comers on the list...

I am supper excited to hear any feedback you all might have for me!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is difficult to critique a fluff-list, but I can simply say what is most competitive.

Chapter Master ,Artificer Armor, Shield Eternal, and Thunder hammer on a bike with a command squad retinue of 5 on bikes with grav guns is easily one of the best units Space marines have to offer, and is usually seen in top 10 at tournaments.

Don't put units in a Storm Raven, its way too risky. It is better used as a gunship.

Flakk missiles are a waste

ALWAYS take a thunderfire cannon, at 1850 SPace marines have 1750 to work with because a thunderfire cannon is literally a autoinclude.

I recommend a drop pod for the sternguard,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is difficult to critique a fluff-list, but I can simply say what is most competitive.

Chapter Master ,Artificer Armor, Shield Eternal, and Thunder hammer on a bike with a command squad retinue of 5 on bikes with grav guns is easily one of the best units Space marines have to offer, and is usually seen in top 10 at tournaments.

Don't put units in a Storm Raven, its way too risky. It is better used as a gunship.

Flakk missiles are a waste

ALWAYS take a thunderfire cannon, at 1850 SPace marines have 1750 to work with because a thunderfire cannon is literally a autoinclude.

I recommend a drop pod for the sternguard,
Great feedback - food for thought indeed!

Now considering that mounted Command squad.. reading up on it it looks super effective. 5 TL bolters and options to kit out with mellee or shooting... on top of a tough as nails Captain. Sexy!

I could also build out some quality fluff for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The best part about the command squad is relentless grav guns. You would be relentless, so you can fire the 3 shot profile, meaning you will have 15 grav gun shots from that unit, protected by a nigh unkillable chapter master.

Those 15 grav gun shots wipe riptides, wraithknights, Tau broadsides, Space marines, pretty much everything that is good right now off the field in one shooting phase, while being more than durable enough to survive an entire army of shooting. I honestly forgot they had bolters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best part about the command squad is relentless grav guns. You would be relentless, so you can fire the 3 shot profile, meaning you will have 15 grav gun shots from that unit, protected by a nigh unkillable chapter master.

Those 15 grav gun shots wipe riptides, wraithknights, Tau broadsides, Space marines, pretty much everything that is good right now off the field in one shooting phase, while being more than durable enough to survive an entire army of shooting. I honestly forgot they had bolters.
Loving the sound of it. Just checking though.... You mention a Chapter Master. It doesnt say in my codex that you can take a command squad witha Chapter master. You can take an honour guard but they cant be mounted on bikes?

Have I missed something?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Unless they're basically the most survivable unit in the 'dex with 3++ saves, then go nuts. Seriously, the only unit I ever consider going inside my SRs. Alternately, Dreadnoughts are great popping out of these bad guys if you don't have a bunch of Drop Pods now that Immobilized doesn't kill you outright.

I'd also switch up the Devastator squads so they're 4x MLs and 4x LCs. If you want FMLs, put them in the Devastator squads instead of the Tactical squads so that their meager Strength of 7 can benefit from the Tank Hunter rule.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Loving the sound of it. Just checking though.... You mention a Chapter Master. It doesnt say in my codex that you can take a command squad witha Chapter master. You can take an honour guard but they cant be mounted on bikes?

Have I missed something?

No, I think I just got mixed up. As long as they are on bikes, have grav guns, and are fronted by a T5 2+ 3++ eternal warrior on a bike you are good. Names don't matter at this realm of cheese.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts