Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm trying to go for an Imperial Guard army, and i've come up with an idea i think will work (although i still haven't sured up the points yet, so don't wave a codex at me! i've got one at home i'm checking later)

I know the Current base i have built is 1000 +/-

Company Command Squad
3x Plasma Guns, 1x plasma pistol
Astropath
Chimera ML and HF

Veteran Squad
3x Melta
Chimera ML and HF

Veteran Squad
3x Melta
Chimera ML and HF

Leman Russ Demolisher
Leman Russ Demolisher

what i'm thinking of adding is:

Basilisk
2-3 Hellhound/Devil Dogs
and some Infantry Squads, probably 20 man, for objective/meatshield units, i don't exactly know what to put on them yet

i think i've got all the Anti Armor i'll need with the Demolishers and Basilisk, the Hellhounds will play Linemen for my Chimeras and keep them from bieng Popped by Anti Tank, the Meltas on the Devildogs will help with that for sure. what infantry /is/ in there will comprise mostly of AP stuff so i can hurt high armored targets that get in my way (IE Terminators).

so far so good? if i'm over on my points just let me know politely. i'll check on it when i get home

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok, so i've got it figured out now, i didn't realize how cheap the IG can be points wise.

so in total i have

Company Command Squad
1 plasma pistol
4x plasma gun
Astropath
Master of Ordinance
Chimera

Platoon Command Squad
Commissar
Chimera

x3 Veteran Squad
3x melta each squad
Grenadiers (all 3)
Chimera

3x Hellhound Devil Dogs

2x Demolisher Leman Russ tanks (or Vanquishers?)
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

2x Basilisk

let me know what you think

·
Registered
488 Posts
You have a Platoon Command Squad but no Infantry Squads... You need at least two of those... Or do you want to turn that PCS into a second CCS?
MoO must be stationary to fire, and Plasma Guns aren't the most rangeful of weapons, so they'll need to move. I suggest two CCS, one with MoO, Mortar team, Vox, the other with four plasma and carpace(helps even if you're in a Chimera because of the Gets Hot! rule).
Don't give Chimera vets Grenadiers, they don't need it because they're in a Chimera and they don't have a plasma weapon. If you want to keep the PCS, turn two of these into Infantry Squads with flamers and grenade launchers to ~ignore the BS 3. If you think that will hurt your anti-armour, get an HK missile on every vehicle, or, depending on the points you have remaining, get a Lascannon HWS.
I like Sentinels better than hounds because they're cheap and have good range and CC tie up capabilities. Two pairs of Plasma Cannon Armoured Sentinels can be a really mobile anti-infantry/anti-light armour choice. But to each his own, Devil Dogs could work just as well.
The tanks are good, but don't get them into a squadron, keep them separate to not get murdered by immobilised results. The artillery should be the one in a squadron.
I dislike Basilisks. Minimum range kills them dead, and you don't want to direct fire with them, they're fragile for their price. Have any other artillery? Medusa maybe? Or even better, Manticore?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i kinda added the platoon command squad as an afterthought for the Orders, i will remove the Carapace armor on the Vets though, that'll free up points in other areas, i'm still having trouble understanding how Imperial Guard work (As the profile shows, Noob Marine player :D)

yeah no, the Leman Russ are /not/ in a squad, as cool as controlled fire would be, no, lol. i chose the Basilisk because it was suggested for this style and for my anti infantry ballistics measure. i figure it and the Leman Russ tanks will be pretty buddy buddy, so i'm not too afraid of anything getting in its range (Leman Russ tanks have 3 heavy bolters, wich are like 3 shots apiece? the pair will obliterate infantry.)

if i have Basilisks, should i really take MoO? i could free that up for some Infantry Squads for the PCS, in reality though i feel the PCS is really kind of 'missing the point' of this army as it's mostly armored, should i just stick to Veteran Squads? do you think i should add commissars to them? Can you?

if i can free up the points, i think i could see taking 2 pairs of Sentinels, maybe in addition to the Hellhounds? the 3 veteran squads are objective holders at this point (the small idea i had for PCS, wich apparently hasn't panned out) but will those sentinels really be more beneficial than three seperate Hellhounds? i may instead take 2 Devil Dogs and 1 Hellhound for the infantry mop of the flamers, and use the melta cannons to scuicide run armor, that would give cause for the Sentinels to do as you said and be outrunners for my forward advance.

my intention was to have the CCS and the 3 Veterans run forward with the Hellhounds as armored shields infront of the Chimeras, to take on assaults and hit enemies with flame and melta as they see fit, take the objectives, keep the CCS kinda floating to aid any objective the enemy has decided to assault, and have my Leman Russ demolishers running traps through the field to beat down incoming aggressors, by then the Hellhounds can just spearhead the enemy and maybe get behind them and start messing with their most important units. all of this while the Basilisks maintain a constant thrumming of forceful ordinance on the enemy.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Drop the Doctrine and the PCS (as The Boz said) but I wouldn't take a second CCS...just drop the MoO altogether and add those points to the pool.

DD's are ok at anti-tank, but taking 3 is just limiting yourself tactics-wise, plus a HH with a Hull MM is almost as good but gives you some Anti-infantry to boot.

Don't change the Demos to a Vanquisher as it's possibly the worst anti-tank option in the entire Codex, as other Units, some you already have, can do it more effectively and cheaper. I also find a Hull HF a better option than a HB on a mobile vehicle.

I'm not a fan of Bassies but they are OK in a general kind of way. As with all Artillery though, it pays to keep them protected for at least the first 2 turns, so hold something back there with them or at least place 1 in cover by 50% so both get a Cover Save.
I prefer Manticores, but you might not have any.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i noticed too i didnt bring a Techpriest, is that a good/bad idea at this point? i could take out one of the Bassies for a techpriest and 5 servitors. i think i'm kind of Wary of the Vendettas, although they are very good units, with great anti tank, i think with this i have a more rounded force (although i could definately run 3 Vendettas or 3 Valks over the 3 Chimera AND 3 Hellhounds, as they would take over roles 1 & 2) i think if i got to go second, and my Squads werent in Chimeras, they could be obliterated in the open, there goes my scoring units yknow? can you start in a transport that is not a dedicated transport? i'm fully willing to buy Vendettas over the chimeras and Hellhounds, i just thought it would be a neat look to have 10 tanks on the field :D i definately want to go for the 'blitzkrieg' attack, so Air is an option i am balancing, using the current forces, show me what you'd take out and replace with Vendettas? or even Valks, but i think Vendettas would have better anti Tank punch, with the TL Lascannons

Company Command Squad
Plasma Pistol
4x Plasma Cannon
Carapace
Chimera w/ ML and HF, Storm Bolter, hunter killer missle

Techpriest enginseer
5 servitors

3x Veteran Squads
3x Melta Guns
Chimera w/ ML and HF, Storm Bolter

2x Devil Dogs w/ heavy flamer hull
1x Hellhound w/ Heavy Bolter hull

2x Demolishers w/ Hunter Killer missles
Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Heavy Flamer hull

1x Basilisk w/ Earthshaker cannon

i tweaked the army around with them the way i thought but i have 180 points just dangling, 4 tanks and 3 birds 2 demolisher cannons and a Basilisk (i could take a manticore, but either way the points are still there XD) and the Command squad in a Chimera, it kinda feels unsupported that way? maybe take out the Basilisk for a Demolisher? what about the extra points?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Vendettas are one of the best Units in the Codex..great anti-armour up to AV13, 3 t/l Lascannons for 130 pts..yes please.
If you are considering them as transports I advise against doing that, well unless you aren't bothered that it will be destroyed while dropping the Squad off..Valkyries make for better transports between the 2, but nothing compares to the humble Chimera, especially when it's Vets inside..firepoints ftw.

The most effective use I've found with Vendettas is to use them as Gunships (which is what they are first and foremost, transporting is secondary), sniping away at range at high priority enemy armour. I have standard Infantry in my Mech lists so I put my PCS and SWS in my 'dettas for late-game Objective - taking. I know you don't have those in your list, but you could build a Vet Squad or CCS that performs a similar role.

All that said, some people are happy enough if their Vendetta is shot down, so long as the MeltaVets are disembarked safely and actually destroy a vital target, although the Vets are usually gone soon after anyway. I just like my Gunship hanging around for a few turns taking out valuable targets at range.

Regardless of what I said earlier about the DD's, do you really need 2 of them? You already have 3 ChiMeltaVet Squads which actually do AT better than the DD's. I think that taking some Scout Sentinels will give you extra tactical flexibility...outflanking with AC's is effective.

Techpriests are for fluff reasons really..they don't do a whole lot most games I've ever used them, plus it's usually points better spent elsewhere...up to you.

I didn't notice the Demo build before..Demolishers should either have Plasma Sponsons or none...the HB's just don't gel with the main Gun. A LRBT is a better fit for HB's as it fulfils the anti-hoard role more effectively than a Demo.

I wouldn't take the Bassie out, especially for a 3rd Demolisher. I like the Manticore far more but having a long ranged weapon in any list is a plus. Bassies and Manticores are both generalist - type units, with the former been more anti MEQ, the latter more anti-armour/hoard/MC, but the multiple blasts do make up for the lack of AP3 somewhat.

Still, all up to you..just my 2c.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
alright, thanks for the tips.

Well, i added the DD so i had a 'shield' for my Chimeras, but maybe i'm comparing the Chimera to the Rhino, and theyre not the same. in BA armies Rhinos are crunchy, but i havent seen what Chimeras can do. i'll experiment with some Scout Sentinels and some DD and see what i like more (something about me wants to see 11 tanks on the field though)) i could always build the DD for anti infantry, since many of my tanks are really kind of mixed, the Flame cannon might be a good way to swath fire on the little minions of my enemy?

basically my design for my army was:

3 squads, Vets, Chimera, DD, to hold objectives
CCS, to provide Orders to troops
Demolishers and Bassie to play the bombardment roll

but all of these ideas are definately something i need to play around with, i think so far its agreed that the Core of my army- the 3 squads and CCS - are efficiently OK. so ill get them and the chimeras first, and proxy in different things to try it out.

so, supporting this list you'd suggest taking out say, the two DDs, keep the HH, and use the free'd points from that and the Techpriest and add in some Scout Sentinel Squads? keep the Demolishers but add Plasma Sponsons, and HF instead of Bolter for the hull weapon.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yes, Vets in Chimeras with Melta/Plasma make up the core. Your CCS build is fine, but as far as giving Orders to Vets in Chimeras goes, you would need to take Voxes, and for the Vets to receive Orders they need to disembark...it's usually easier to just always stay in the Chimera and perform drive-by' shooting.

On the Demo..yes, either go with Sponsons Plasmas or keep them bare-bones..some like it bare-bones because it's then more mobile, while some take the Sponsons because it increases the firepower and if the Turret shot scatters to much as least they have back-up - Hull HF is fine.

Sentinels..the best I've used or seen used to good effect are Scouts with AC's and Armoured ones with Plasma Cannons...your choice.

You definitely have the makings for a very solid list..best of luck:victory:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Scout Sentinels with Multilasers are dirt cheap, and can ping off transports as easily as an AC can, but for cheaper, and can then ping off hordes as easily as a HB can, but for cheaper. Just slap on a HK missile. 45 points per Sentinel is nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts