Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been playing with and against tyranids for quite some time now, and as we all know the last codex is, well, bad. What I'm aiming for in this list is something that can go up against most armies (seeing as stuff is super expensive money-wise now, too). This is what I've come up with, hopefully its somewhat decent.

HQ:
Flyrant w TL devs 230
Tyranid prime, flesh hooks, toxin sacks, LWBS, talons 160

Troops:
30x termigaunts 120
Tervigon, regen 225
30 hormagaunts, adrenal glands 210

Elites:
2x zoanthropes 100
2x zoanthropes 100
3x venomthropes 135

Heavy Support:
2x dakkafex 300
Exocrine 170

The plan for this list is push everything forward into the enemy. Tyranid prime joins up with the hormagaunt squad and uses his flesh hooks to whack something in cover without the initiative penalty. The plan for the tervigon and zoanthropes is to act as mid-field synapse (I'll take dominion on the tervi and have the termigaunts sit 13-18 inches away to stay out of the backlash range). My plan is try to hide the zoanthropes behind some of the larger creatures to reduce LoS to them. God knows what I'll aim to protect with venomthropes, but hopefully itll be multiple units and just whatever I deem crucial in the battle. My worries are the fact that I only have 3 troop choices, all of which are quite squishy. Thoughts on synapse levels? and stuff in general. Also which HQ do you think should be my warlord? The prime seems a little squishy, but it would draw some fire away from the flyrant. (edit: rereading things, it looks like the prime would stop the hormagaunts from running d6+3. oops)

Thanks
-Arcticor

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
From a personal point of view -

I would drop the Prime, and use the points to change the 1 unit of Hormogaunts to 2 units of 20, and add in another unit of troops. I personally prefer Toxin sacs on Hormies to Adrenal glands (they are fleet anyway), but the S4 means they can assault tanks. Depends who you face I guess. There's also enough points left there for another squad of Troops. Don't forget you'll also be spawning at least one squad of Termagants from the Tervigon.

You have plenty of Synapse in the Flyrant, Tervi and 2 units of Zoans. If you are worried about it, use the remaining points to get a squad of three Warriors. They are another Troops choice, and whilst yes they will die to 3 krak missiles - so would a Prime.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
From a personal point of view -

I would drop the Prime, and use the points to change the 1 unit of Hormogaunts to 2 units of 20, and add in another unit of troops. I personally prefer Toxin sacs on Hormies to Adrenal glands (they are fleet anyway), but the S4 means they can assault tanks. Depends who you face I guess. There's also enough points left there for another squad of Troops. Don't forget you'll also be spawning at least one squad of Termagants from the Tervigon.

You have plenty of Synapse in the Flyrant, Tervi and 2 units of Zoans. If you are worried about it, use the remaining points to get a squad of three Warriors. They are another Troops choice, and whilst yes they will die to 3 krak missiles - so would a Prime.
good call!:victory:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys! Here's what I've come up with

HQ:
Flyrant w devs 230

Troops:
30 termigaunts 120
Tervigon, regeneration 225
20 hormagaunts, adrenal 140
20 hormagaunts, adrenal 140

Elites:
2x zoanthropes 100
2x zoanthropes 100
3x venomthropes 135

Heavy Support:
2x Dakkafex 300
Exocrine 170
2x biovore 80

Totals out to 1740, no idea where to stick the 10 extra points. Same concept as before, really. How's it look?
-Arcticor

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would need to drop 10 more points for hive commander. What should I drop (seeing as you know more about nids than I do), and what should I outflank?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
If you want to do that, you could drop 2 hormogaunts from one unit. Whilst Outflanking with a tervigon would be funny, the larger unit of hormogaunts would probably make your opponent a bit more concerned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts