Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been competing in the GW national store tournament

I had my second Game vs a Guard army that was mostly on foot. He would have gotten tabled if he had not dragged his feet on his part of the turn. I had home down to 1 vet squad and 1 infantry squad at the end of turn 4.

I have the battle report on my http://craftworldlansing.blogspot.com

the list consisted of

Eldrad Ulthran

8 warlocks 2x singing spears, embolden, enhance 2x destructor. 1 spirit seer
wave serpent w/ spirit stones, vectored engines, TL EML and shuriken cannon

10 dire avengers with exarch. Blade storm and dire sword
wave serpent w/ spirit stones, vectored engines, TL BL

6 guardian jetbikes w/ 2 shuriken cannons and warlock with singing spear and conceal. also upgraded to spirit seer

6 fire dragons with exarch, fire pike, tank hunters, crack shot

6 swooping hawks with exarch, intercept, sun rifle

Falcon w/ SL Spirit stones, holo-fields

wraithlord w/ wraith sword, BL, twin flamers

1749 points

Ironically I took on a mech guard list and went 7 turns and he barly edged me out by one KP

As I stated I almost tabled the Guard I played this past saturday.

the list performed well so just thought I would throw it out there

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just a couple of things, why take spirit seers, they dont actually add anything to the army as you only have 1 wraith lord. One turn of doing nothing isn't really going to affect the outcome of the game. Also how did the swooping hawks do? I have always liked these fellows but never got round to trying them out.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
indeed, only two scoring units, the Dragons set up the way they are, and taking Hawks period, are usually not used at the competitive level.

keep if it works, but i wouldn't use some of the units as you're using them.

good hunting.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the core of your list. Similar in some ways to what I run at that level.

Swooping Hawks are fun, but my buddy above is right, they are expensive and not that good. If you loose them, and maybe the firepike and take hunter on your dragons (trust me take the flamer its free and tank hunter is redundant), that frees up a lot of points. Maybe you could get some guardians in a Serpent as an extra scoring unit for objective missions. If you stick a warlock in there and you have a baby sitter for your Lord and therefore can save the points on spirit seer in the other units.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always used swooping hawks with great effect. Mostly because nobody uses them and they don't know how to deal with them

SO far the missions have been pitched battles and anhilation so scoring units are not an issue.

the spirit seer upgrade was kind of moot since the wraithlord was close to eldrad the whole time.

to answer your question Lord Rahl the hawks did great thet came in and took out an entire squad with the grenade pack and then gunned down an entire vet squad on the turn they came in.

Then it was hit and run attacks that really broke down his fire discipline.
I like dragons but yeah I usually don't use them as they tend to die quick.

I have changed the list quite a bit as I am expecting space marines for my next battle in the tourney

·
Registered
46 Posts
Advice on list

I have been competing in the GW national store tournament

I had my second Game vs a Guard army that was mostly on foot. He would have gotten tabled if he had not dragged his feet on his part of the turn. I had home down to 1 vet squad and 1 infantry squad at the end of turn 4.

I have the battle report on my http://craftworldlansing.blogspot.com

the list consisted of

Eldrad Ulthran
(I love attatching him to a Group of 10 dire avengers and asurman, Blade storm with guide/doom/fortune all up is very powerful)
8 warlocks 2x singing spears, embolden, enhance 2x destructor. 1 spirit seer
wave serpent w/ spirit stones, vectored engines, TL EML and shuriken cannon
(EIGHT?)
10 dire avengers with exarch. Blade storm and dire sword
wave serpent w/ spirit stones, vectored engines, TL BL
(No Dire Swords, Duel cannons is much more effective)
6 guardian jetbikes w/ 2 shuriken cannons and warlock with singing spear and conceal. also upgraded to spirit seer
(as a competitive list I would make these two seperate squads and drop the warlock use them to sit and fire the cannons
6 fire dragons with exarch, fire pike, tank hunters, crack shot
(These guys NEED a wave serpant! you dont want 6 T3 eldar running across the board holding 6 melta guns, their gonna get gunned down)
6 swooping hawks with exarch, intercept, sun rifle
(Swooping hawks are much too many points even with haywire grenades and they cant do much else but fly around and attack tanks)
Falcon w/ SL Spirit stones, holo-fields
(I would chose between wraith lords or grav tanks and if you chose to run wraith lords Forget the bright lance save the points and use a SC)
wraithlord w/ wraith sword, BL, twin flamers

1749 points

Ironically I took on a mech guard list and went 7 turns and he barly edged me out by one KP

As I stated I almost tabled the Guard I played this past saturday.

the list performed well so just thought I would throw it out there
Im worried at 1750 points your going to get swarmed.... just a thought

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well the Army I faced was all Infantry. He had a russ and a russ demolisher. Only other vehicles were a vendetta and 4 sentinals. 2 scout and 2 armored.

I guess I hit him so hard turn one he kinda forgot he out numbered me.

The hawks were nice against the mech force I practiced against earlier in the week.

Trust me I was worried about getting swarmed, but apparently that's the case with Eldar about half the time in my experience.

Also scott the Dragons were in the Falcon

·
Registered
632 Posts
What sort of people play the tourny at your local store? If they all take shite like that IG player then yea you will cream them. I worry that you will get rapped against a Meq heavy army tho. Meq is now the army to field in 5th, dont know why, i think armour is just as easy to destroy as it used to be in 4th.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What sort of people play the tourny at your local store? If they all take shite like that IG player then yea you will cream them. I worry that you will get rapped against a Meq heavy army tho. Meq is now the army to field in 5th, dont know why, i think armour is just as easy to destroy as it used to be in 4th.
easier in some ways, but harder in others.

with all attacks automatically resolving against rear armor, punching through armor is not as difficult as it used to be, but hitting armor is a pain, as vehicles become harder to hit the more they move, in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
easier in some ways, but harder in others.

with all attacks automatically resolving against rear armor, punching through armor is not as difficult as it used to be, but hitting armor is a pain, as vehicles become harder to hit the more they move, in a lot of cases.
this is true most Gaurd players I play though really do not move their tanks unless forced to. When I turbo boost in and hit the star enegines to get right in their face they tend to panic.

Lord Rahl

Actually as I stated the list minus the dragons and the Falcon actually did very well against a mech list. I had a 2nd wraithlord instead with the original and a 2nd farseer on bike.

I went 7 turns and he barely beat me by one kill point when he finally managed to kill an immoblised wave serpent.

Once Warlocks get into a tank line its doom for the tanks. Big tanks can't outrun fleet witch blades :biggrin:

especially with Hawks dive bombing them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts