Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I think about it the more I like this list and want to go buy some more models and make it happen let me know what you think!

Demon Prince- MoS, Wings, Lash

Dread- ccw/ccw, Heavy Flamer/TLbolter

Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw

Greater Demon

x6 Bikers- IoN, x2 meltagun, Champion with powerfist

x6 Marines- meltagun, Champion with meltabomb

The bikers will buy time and neutralize key threats while the lash princes get the enemy into cc asap. The defilers can blast or fleet as needed and the marines will separate so the Greater Demon can be summoned at whatever spot is most devastating. I really think the bikers will be key in forceing the enemy out of position and will buy enough time for the other units to do thier thing. Any thoughts on the strategy or list that can help me maximize its effectiveness?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
The more I think about it the more I like this list and want to go buy some more models and make it happen let me know what you think!

Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw

Greater Demon

x6 Bikers- IoN, x2 meltagun, Champion with powerfist

The bikers will buy time and neutralize key threats while the lash princes get the enemy into cc asap. The defilers can blast or fleet as needed and the marines will separate so the Greater Demon can be summoned at whatever spot is most devastating. I really think the bikers will be key in forceing the enemy out of position and will buy enough time for the other units to do thier thing. Any thoughts on the strategy or list that can help me maximize its effectiveness?
Wow... bravo. I really don't know what to say about this list. It's so unique, I'd have never have thought of trying anything like this myself. I'm going to withhold judgement until some other members reply. Rep to you for such a unique army!

Katie D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It's certainly unique. However, I think you'll have a lot of problems dealing with tank-mounted long-range anti-armor weaponry (which most armies have). I'm running a similar army with SM in the vassal tourney and I've played a couple other games with it. In 1500pts I use 5 venerable dreads, 3 speeders, and a vindicator (9 vehicles total). The only reason my army works is that I can eliminate threats to my army effectively at range. You're packing similar forces but at 1750 points and without any significant ranged firepower. It's not a crippling problem, but it is a problem. They will get a lot of shots off at you while you approach.

The biggest thing I think that would help your army would be to prepare the way for your greater demon's summoning a little better. It would be devastating if it possessed your biker champion because it would already be in the fray practically (though this is expensive and means you won't want that powerfist). Your regular infantry squads are going to be too slow, and as the greater daemon also moves only 6" a turn (and is somewhat vulnerable to ranged firepower). If you're understandably loathe to part with the biker champion, a great solution would be to take a rhino for one of your CSM squads. You've got good target saturation for anti-armor weaponry, so your opponent is likely to ignore your rhino and let the greater daemon start considerably closer or will waste fire on it that lets your other baddies get closer. A good investment for the points. Dropping down to 5-man CSM squads should get you the points (and dropping off the meltabomb on the squad that gets the rhino).

Powerfists hidden in squads will be your anathema though. Fear them. Do everything you can to take them out, because they will ruin your day when your CC vehicles get to CC. Barring that and/or excessive amounts of ranged anti-tank weaponry or mobile antitank weaponry (like hammerheads, broadsides, or eldar tanks), your army ought to actually do pretty well. At least it should be fun to play with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the idea of stripped down marine squads with rhinos as a demon delivery system and another vehicle target. I agree that vehicle mounted anti tank is the threat so I worry about mech eldar especially. I think that the bikers can realistically threaten the worst of the enemy threats and makes the enemy make a tough decision, do I let these bikers melta whatever they want or do I try and kill them? I am kinda torn on the dreads though, the more I think about it the only thing I really like about them is that they are more targets that might help keep my defilers alive. Would I be beter off with some hit squads of termies to take down the vehicle threats I fear?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well, you're kinda relying on light vehicle target saturation, so I'd be extremely wary of losing any vehicles. That being said, however, your bikers can carry an icon in and your termies could then teleport in close to deal with the threat. Maybe a reaper autocannon to try to get behind some skimmers or something. However, if I was gonna change 1 thing, I might add in a predator or 2. That would be the easiest way to get some anti-tank without losing vehicles. It does go away from the theme a bit though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I might neeed to try and squeeze out the points for rhinos. Maybe I should even drop 1 dread to do so then the rhinos could screen and also bring thier firepower and greater demon to bear much more effectively and keeps them from being the only light target. I effectively add 2 threats for the loss of 1. Has anyone had success with heavy weapons on thier dreads and trying to screen them from friendlies with terrain, and can you pop smoke still if you roll fire frenzy on your crazed roll? Any thoughts or tips to make this list more effective are appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking that I may drop the dreads and beef the marine squads up to plague marines. I need some bodies that I can stick into cc and I am liking the unpridictability of the dreads less and less. Defilers are my true dreads with a battlecannon that I dont have to hide from my own troops. I like the idea of getting my plagues stuck in and holding long enough for a raging screaming defiler to get there and start pulling people into small pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts