Librarian, ML2, JP 105
Sanguinary Priest, JP, Valour's Edge, bolt pistol 96
10x Sang guard, 1x PF, chapter banner 365
7x Sang guard, 4x infernus pistol 271
9x Death co, jump packs, 2x power swords 237
5x tactical squad, 2x hand flamers, heavy flamer, DP with deathwind 150
5x tactical squad, 2x hand flamers, heavy flamer, DP with deathwind 150
5x assault marines, 2x infernus pistols, 2x meltaguns, DP 135

Total is 1729. The idea is dante and the priest join the 10x sang guard squad and form a really freaking expensive deathball that will just crush anything. Librarian joins the death co. If I feel like I need more precise anti-tank, Dante will start off attached to the infernus pistol sang guard squad and DS in to take out things like multiple vindicators or whatever else poses a big threat. Not sure what to spend the last 20 points on. Librarian will roll on sanguinary. Thoughts?
-Arcticor

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you're concerned about your anti tank, swap the flame weapons in the Tactical squads for melta ones...not that I really consider a 3" Melta range to be very effective.

What about slimming down the second SG squad and dropping their IPs to beef those Tactical squads up to 10 men strong so they have some staying power? They're coming in T1 and close based on their loadouts (otherwise, pretty useless for a T1 strike), they could use some meat shield in their ranks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So... the 2 hand flamers and the 2 infernus pistols and are on the sergeants?? if that is the case, then you are putting the second one on them for no reason, and infantry model can only fire one of its weapons.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
if that is the case, then you are putting the second one on them for no reason, and infantry model can only fire one of its weapons.
Check out the rule Gunslinger, under Pistols in the Weapons section of the BRB. You've been missing out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow....i missed that....I stand corrected....

thanks ntaw.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It's been kicking around since at least 6th edition, can't remember 5th very much any more. Easily one of my favourite rules in the book.

Shame it stipulates 'Shooting Phase' though, otherwise damn it'd be nice for Overwatch.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'd recommend dropping the second Sang Guard squad from 7 to 5, and maybe drop down to 2 or 3 infernus pistols (as 4 special weapons on 5 guys seems very risky), and the drop from 7 people to 5 people doesn't really hinder them in the combats they should be fighting (smallers squads like devs and maybe 10 man non-CC oriented marine squads).

I agree with the above posters about using the points to beef out the tac marine squads, as 5 marines who're close enough to flamer squads won't survive a stiff breeze. 10 man is much more survivable, and then get a normal flamer in the squad in addition to the H flamer (as you'll have 10 guys in the squad).

Also, i'm not sold on the 2 Inf. Pistols on the ass. marines because a 3" melta range is rather risky (cause if the DP scatters in any direction away from the target they're out of melta range). Also, even if they're in range, 4 meltas on rear/side armour of any tanks would probably be overkill. The assault marines also suffer from the same survivability problem as those 5 man tac squads, so 4 special weapons seems really risky again.

For the Death Co. i'd actually recommend switching out the P. swords for maces. While you lose the ap3, you have 15 Sang. guard and dante for your marine killing, and death company can still destroy marines via volume of wounds. The str6 on the maces, however, help against higher T things (such as MCs, which other death co would be wounding on 5's or 6's). In addition, the str6 is surprisingly effective against vehicles in CC (in addition to all the str4 attacks from the other guys), so the death co. would help against the tanks that your meltas weren't able to get for one reason or another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts