Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little lost on what points to use on somethings in this list some points may be wrong. For example BT Codex lists Rhinos as 50 points and Space Marine Codex lists them as 35.

Vehicles/Transport:
Land Raider Crusader: 290
Blessed Hull
Rhino: 35
Predator: 105

HQ:
Champion: 150
Accept any Challenge, no matter the odds

High Marshal Helbrecht and Command Squad: 303
8x Initiates w/ CCW

Elites:
Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad: 210
Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad: 210

Troops:
Crusader Squad:122
4x Initiates, 4x Neophytes, 1x Power Weapon, 4xCrusader Seals.
4x Initiates, 4x Neophytes, 1x Power Weapon, 4xCrusader Seals
4x Initiates, 4x Neophytes, 1x Power Weapon, 4xCrusader Seals

Total Points: 1739

Again first army so this is probably pretty bad but I was told this was a great place to get feedback on ideas.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Use the points costs and rules from the BT book, ignore the SM one completely. Weird, I know, but that's how GW feels like doing it. My DA aren't happy either.

List itself looks like a good start.

The biggest problem is your utter lack of fire support. Rushing across the board without support is a good way to lose. You need guns with range to damage/suppress enemy units and keep them from hurting you.

A friend of mine (who plays BT too) wrote up a good article on what I'm talking about. Check it out here.

To change things up, I'd lose your expensive SC (Termies do just fine with furious charge and PE), give your Crusader squads meltas and powerfists and pick up a trio of AC/LC Predators for cheap supporting fire. MM/HF Speeders are also superb in this role.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that cleared up a lot of problems for me in figuring out how to get this list together now that I'm using the right point values. That article was also very helpful. I did go back and change all my squad lists to PF/MG which I should have probably put in to begin with.

But as for the fire support from Preds when I add them in I seem to end up with a mostly mechanized army with few troops depending mostly on two LRC with 10 Initiates, 4 Neophyte, and a HQ. Looking at it I can see having the fire support though coming in handy a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vehicles/Transport:
Land Raider Crusader: 290
Blessed Hull
Rhino: 53
smoke launcher
smoke launcher
smoke launcher
Predator: 130
lascannon, extra armor
Predator: 130
lascannon, extra armor

HQ:
Champion: 140
Accept any Challenge, no matter the odds

Elites:
Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad: 301
8x Terminators, furious chargex8
Venerable Dreadnought: 135
Take Hunter Skill

Troops:
Crusader Squad:153
8x Initiates, 1x PF/MG
8x Initiates,1x PF/MG
8x Initiates, 1x PF/MG

TOTAL: 1744

Updated list with all Squads with PF/MG equipped and corrected errors with points. I also dropped the marshal and picked up 2 Predators and a Dreadnought for more fire power while crossing the field but thinking that maybe speeders would work better with this list. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Your points for the Termies are off - with FCharge they work out to be 43 pts each... 43x8 is 344. If you meant 7, I can see how you got 301, but w/e.

The pred's I also don't get - are those destructor's with Las sponsons? Kinda odd, since I can't think of anything you actually want to fire 1x Auto-cannon and 1x las cannon (you'll never really get to fire both) at rather than firing a TLLC... but, again, w/e.

1st order of business: unless you play lots and lots of DE, drop the blessed hull - even regular eldar don't pack too much in the way of regular lances these days. Those 25 pts can get you smoke launchers on the LRC, extra armor on the Rhinos, and have 13 pts left over - enough to give the Dreadnaught a missile launcher - or better - later.

2nd: If you're looking for the most efficient anti-tank, 2x MM Attack bikes will probably work best for you. This is an age old argument: we all know 2 MM's in the fast attack slot are good, but the choice b/w Attack bikes and Speeders... I often say AB. They cost the same, both can move 24" and get some protection, and both can fire while moving 12," but bike(s) are superior in that: 1)they can't be stunned or shaken, 2)they have 2 wounds, 3)when they move more than 18" they get a 3++, rather than a 4+ cover. All this simply because they suffer from instant death? If an ID wepaon is hitting a speeder, it's almost as likely to be killed or neutered anyway, AND the bike models cost less $$ - thus, I say AB will work better, probably.

Whichever you chose, I'd trade in a pred for 2x MM in the FA slot.

3rd: Solid list otherwise. It's putting enough CC marines on the table to hurt, you have 3x Troops in 1750, you have just enough ranged anti-tank to be threatening, and you have a death-star unit. If I could recommend any other changes, I'd drop the Assault termies to 6, give the dread a las cannon instead of an ML, change the Pred to an Tri-las w/out extra armor, and have 16 points left-over for one more CC marine XD.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
648 Posts
AC/LC Predators are good for knocking out armor, particularly lighter stuff like transports. ACs and LCs complement each other quite well in that regard.

I'd go for Speeders over Attack Bikes in a mech list because Speeders are more versatile (sporting heavy flamers), make target priority difficult for your opponent (do I send my light anti-tank against the Speeders or the Rhinos?), and don't have to worry about getting locked up in combat (can also be used to block movement lanes).

I like this new list, I'd just swap the Dread and Blessed Hull for 2 MM/HF Speeders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts