Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is as fundamental and simple as it gets. Straight forward, stay out of combat and shoot. Typhoons kill transports and light armor, meltas kill heavy armor. Holding everything in reserve is also very viable with this build. It is really tough - I will say it plays much better than it looks at 1750.

Captain - bike, artificer armor, relic blade, storm shield

4 bikes + attack bike, 2 x flamer, sgt w/ pf
4 bikes + attack bike w/mm, 2 x melta

3 x land speeder - typhoon launcher

1750 pts / 14KP

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd reduce the numbers of land speeders and get your captain a command squad. That is what really makes a bike army, since it adds a really strong CC unit to the mix.

I reccomend Kirby's How to: bike armies series, the first article of which is here. He explains much more elocuently than I can why you need a Command Squad.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used the command squad, and honestly, it is a point sink. I can do as much damage with speeders from distance. At 2k, I take a command squad - when I have extra points after buying 9 speeders.

That build is 17-0-3 with 3 local and 1 regional tourney win. I have found the speeders to be irreplacable.
:)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd reduce the numbers of land speeders and get your captain a command squad. That is what really makes a bike army, since it adds a really strong CC unit to the mix.

I reccomend Kirby's How to: bike armies series, the first article of which is here. He explains much more elocuently than I can why you need a Command Squad.

Hope that helps,

In all honesty I have played with bike armies for a significant amount of time, and a command squad on bikes will NEVER make its ridiculous point cost back at this level.

They only start to excel at 2000 points minimum. And the idea of taking two command squads... :puke:.

The only concern with this is the limited anti hordes. Typhoons help to tip the balance with the frag missiles, but you might what to consider something more substantial i.e. Vindicator or flamer speeders.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only struggles I have had were orks and 'nids. I switched to heavy flamer/typhoon on the speeders (forgot to mention that :) ) and although not perfect, it is much more survivable. Our meta is not swarm heavy, so I have decided that 9 heavy flamers will be enough to get by. ( My 3 draws are orks, nids, and nids. )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts