Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and the Mrs. got slots for the UK 40K GT (The Mrs. got a wildcard due to missing day 2 of heat 3 due to being hospitalised, I got best (only) in race!)

Anyway the Mrs. is taking her newly christened Minotaurs but we are stuck as to what to spend the last 264 points on.

List so far is

HQ
Space Marine Captain
Bike
Thunder Hammer
Artificer Armour

Elites

Hecaton Aiakos

Comtempor-Mortis
Twin linked Autocannon
Cyclone Missile Launcher

Troops
Bike Squad 1
Bike Squad
5 Extra Bikes
2 Grav-Gun
Vet Sgt Upgrade
(Sgt) Power Weapon (Lance)
(Sgt) Combi-Grav
Attack Bike
Multi-Melta

Bike Squad 2
Bike Squad
5 Extra Bikes
2 Melta Gun Edit was wrongly put as one earlier,
Vet Sgt Upgrade
(Sgt) Power Weapon (Lance)
(Sgt) Combi-Melta
Attack Bike
Multi-Melta

Tactical Squad 1
Tactical Squad
5 Extra Marines
Missile Launcher
Flakk Missiles
1 Plasma gun
Vet Sgt Upgrade
(Sgt) Powerfist

Models available for the remaining points:

• Landraider (optional Multi-Melta)
  • 2 Thunderfire Cannons
  • Aegis Defence Line and Quad Gun
  • Tactical Squad (Missile Launcher, Melta gun, combi Melta)
  • Tactical Squad (Missile Launcher, Flamer)
  • Assault Squad (10 men, 2x Plasma pistols, Powerfist)
  • Predator (T/L Lascannon, Sponson Lascannons)
  • Venerable Dread (Assault Cannon)
  • Dreadnought (Multi-melta)
  • Dreadnought (Missile Launcher, T/L Lascannon)
  • Razorback (T/L Lascannon)
  • 2 Razorbacks (T/L Heavy Bolters)

·
Registered
354 Posts
You list looks awesome and looks like it would advance up a table very quick

In my opinion you need some heavy weapons so I would take 2 thunderfire cannons in drop pods (I think that is 270 points though)

But interceptor special rule is great for pesky reserves

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. The Mrs. is a big fan of the Thunderfire cannons anyway, although why would they need the drop pods?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cheers. The Mrs. is a big fan of the Thunderfire cannons anyway, although why would they need the drop pods?
drop pods give you the option to place them where you want... to an extent, it is a huge advantage if your opponent gets first turn as they wont get shot to pieces. Also i think the rule allows one or possibly both to come in on your first turn. Drop pods can also provide some cover if placed correctly

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drop pods are a possibility then, but I've got 14 bikes, 2 attack bikes and 2 dreadnoughts to paint first!

·
Registered
354 Posts
This only my opinion though, i only like drop pods as they bring a bit of unpredictability and has to make your opponent adapt to a new threat.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Drop Pods means you don't fire. It's a trap. Drop Pods on TFC's are used so that you can get all your infantry down on the board on the first turn. You cannot move and fire with Artillery, and Drop Podding counts as firing.

Even with Drop Pod assault, it means you're not firing until the second turn.

264pts? Can you wiggle out a further 36pts from somewhere? Perhaps downgrading Aiakos to a standard contemptor? And dropping Flak Missiles to become standard Missile Launcher.

Then just take 2x TFC's and a Quad Gun+Line.

Fit in a

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Why minotaurs rather than scars? Just wondering, as scars have by far the best bikers (s5 HoW, ignore difficult terrain, +1 to jink...)

I don't know how I feel about the power lance, make sure to let us know how that works... s5 is nice though.

I'd take a normal melta rather than a combi-melta on that second squad (unless it's already modelled) as you will literally never use the bolter half of that gun.

If the turrets on those razorbacks are removable, I would, well, remove one... and give those Tac. a rhino for cover and for advancing should you choose do do that.

Thunderfires would be good, make sure to remember those +1 covers from the techmarines... Take an aegis and a quad if you want, but I think you have enough anti-air. If you do this, don't bother with the rhino.

If you have extra points off (because TFCs + rhino is 235) then you can throw a storm shield on that captain or something...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why minotaurs rather than scars? Just wondering, as scars have by far the best bikers (s5 HoW, ignore difficult terrain, +1 to jink...)
'Cos much of the wider army is painted and awaiting a shift in iconography to the Minotaurs. I can still use the 'Scars trait as the Minotaur train is not GT legal.

I don't know how I feel about the power lance, make sure to let us know how that works... s5 is nice though.
Is it not S+2? I'm using lances as I'm basing them on ancient Greek Tarantine horsemen and they look cool

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=129588&page=6

I'd take a normal melta rather than a combi-melta on that second squad (unless it's already modelled) as you will literally never use the bolter half of that gun.
The Sgt can't take a melta gun, only the combi.

If the turrets on those razorbacks are removable, I would, well, remove one... and give those Tac. a rhino for cover and for advancing should you choose do do that.
May do, its a good thought.

Thunderfires would be good, make sure to remember those +1 covers from the techmarines... Take an aegis and a quad if you want, but I think you have enough anti-air. If you do this, don't bother with the rhino.
Good thought.

If you have extra points off (because TFCs + rhino is 235) then you can throw a storm shield on that captain or something...
He may be getting some chapter relic...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
264pts? Can you wiggle out a further 36pts from somewhere? Perhaps downgrading Aiakos to a standard contemptor? And dropping Flak Missiles to become standard Missile Launcher.

Then just take 2x TFC's and a Quad Gun+Line.

Fit in a
I could drop the PF and vet upgrade from the Tac Sgt and the flakk missle. That would free up enough points.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just realised, Bike squad 2 has 2 melta guns, not 1.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Nope, sadly a Power Lance is simply S+1, AP3 on the charge, thereafter S and AP4. Nice use of the Outrider Bikes, they're growing on me after all this time.

Can you get in any practise games. If the Tacticals are holding a base objective and you're using your bikers to run rings around your opponent, then upgrading its CC potential isn't a brilliant idea. Try using them and getting in some practice, and see how they end up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Is it not S+2?
I could be wrong, but I think it is only +1s and ap3 on the charge, s(user) and ap4 otherwise.
*EDIT* Ninja'd

The Sgt can't take a melta gun, only the combi.
My bad, I thought you only had one in the squad (apparently that was just a typo).

I could drop the PF and vet upgrade from the Tac Sgt and the flakk missle. That would free up enough points.
You can actually keep the vet. upgrade (which I would do for the added LD) and still do this.

I'm using lances as I'm basing them on ancient Greek Tarantine horsemen and they look cool
I like it mate! Definitely checking out that plog

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK after some discussions the extra points will be spent on 2 Thunderfire canonns.

In addition the Vet upgrade, Powerfist and Flakk missile will be dropped from the Tac squad who'll get a nice Aegis Defence line and quad gun to hide behind.

The Captain will get a auspex with the 9 points left over.

Chapter trait will be Whit Scars.

The idea is a central "castle" acts as a fire point, manned by the Tacs, Mortis Contemptor and quad guns. This provides cover fire and AA as the bike squads and the other Contemptor close in and grav/melta gun to death anything tough while the Contemptor will punch and Plasma Cannon anything too worrisome for the Bikes to charge.

The bikes should hit hard, a combined shoot + charge will see enough attacks (shooting, Hammer of Wrath & HtH) to break any big blobs (something like 9 Grav/combi grav shots, 12 T/L bolter shots, 1 Melta shot, followed by 9 S5 Hammer of Wrath attacks followed by 4 S5 AP3 lance attacks and 17 normal attacks, total of 52 possible shots/attacks). With a 3+ armour and T of 5 the bikes should be able to soak up any return punishment from a blob and finish them off in the next turn. Against smaller eleite sauds the hope is the Grav guns/meltas will put paid to them.

Captain is there to give a little extra punch to any HtH and hammer anything big and tank shaped.

Cheers all for the feedback

1 - 14 of 14 Posts