Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I observed a very educational 35pts battle between Orboros and Khador. I focused my attention on the latter, since I have some knowledge of that army and mine isn't all that different from it, though one could say that mine has a bit of a cryxian twist to them. There were only two 'jacks, the rest were units, solos and horsies. Oh and eVlad. You could imagine my noobish amazment as the 'jacks took their time and slammed into the enemy lines only when the units and solos softened them up (well, truth to be told, they almost dealt with everything, the 'jacks were just an icing on the cake) to deliver the killing blow in one fell swoop.

So with an increased respect for non-warjacks and a decreased budget :)P) I turned my attention to Grand Exemplar Kreoss and his lads with balls of holy steel, and made this list:

Grand Exemplar Kreoss
Fire of Salvation
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer
Knights Exemplar (Leader and 5 Grunts)

The idea is to keep my Errants in terrain or in a nice trolling spot and provoke my opponent to attack them. Kreoss will either roll with these guys (opponent gets in Chasten range, pop it, step back, repeat) or with the Knights (the Protectorate equivalent of a small Nobz unit and a Warboss, you could say :p). Salvy will stay with the unit Kreoss leaves alone, so that my opponent will have to carefully decide which one to attack first, seeing the painfully obvious trap. However, the trap is within the trap: he will either spread his forces between the two groups, or focus on one and protect his flank. Either way hes pretty much fucked because 1, both sides can push hard enough to make his lads crack (especially when Kreoss pops his feat) 2, the whole army is SPD5 so despite being a rather Khador-esque bunch they can hurry when it is necessary and outmanouvre the opponent.

I have to admit that 'till now I've played the two tiny games of Warmachine I had with adamantium balls: I rushed ahead and crashed into my opponent with the force of a thousand sons. First time it worked, second time it didn't.
Then after playing a few games against dakkawolves made me realise that if your army can both shoot and fight well then unsurprisingly you can't do both very well, or at least well enough that you could rely on one aspect to save the day for you. No, you'll have to carefully time your charges (kinda literally :p) and force the circumstances so that you pick the fights and on your terms. And that is what the Protectorate is all about: noticable shooting, nice spells, decent close combat potential... but none of them are game-winningly powerful.
Therefore, you need to have an ambush set up for your opponent, or even worse, an ambush set up in his ambush (mainly against Cryx but Cygnar can go gunwhore any second) to get your lads into a situation where you can maximalise their cooperation. And you must always have to be able to adjust your plans to your dice rolls, be they good or bad, because either case can provoke situations you like or perhaps not at all. So you could say that you have to be a Tzeentchian Daemon to play Protectorate, or perhaps WM well: you have to have considerable brainpower for the """obvious""" bits, and that magical foresight that can show you the possible futures that follow up each of your actions.

And thats exactly why I'm loving Warmachine even more than before: it stirs up my brain so much that I'm considering if brain-gasms exist. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I hear you, restarted my mercs and have branched out into menith as well. What can I say, religious fanatics are fun to play.

As far as the list goes, I like it a lot. It has VERY hard hitting infantry and a 'jack that is concentrated win and lulz. I would say that the knights exemplar like defender's ward very much, especially when some of them start dying to push their stats up into the warjack range. The errants should be a bait/countercharge unit. They can hit pretty well in combat and quick work will be a pain to the opponent (especially if his warcaster is behind a line of infantry, POW 10 shots tend to add up). fire should support the KE and be ready to smash stuff when it's time for pop and drop. Kreoss is a good pick as he fits thematically as well as being a good caster to start off with (just keep him far away unless you absolutely need to, he has a 16" control range for a reason). My mercs and menites look forward to battling you one day.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, you have an army in every bloody game, eh? :p

You know, I actually intend to make good use of Kreoss pissing on ARM like it nothing with his P+S:14 weapon combined with Piercing Attack. Especially if he hugs all the focus, charges at the opposing warcaster and goes medieval on his ass. And Chasten... oh mamma, if I boost that thing's damage its going to be a pain in the ass to throw spells around, if not completely futile since Salvy has Dispel on his hits. By the way, can either of them dispel stuff like Straken's +5ARM feat?

I can't wait to start playing either, its just that I'm waiting with spending lots of money (which I don't even have yet, but I will once I sell the majority of my CSM army) 'till I can find a job. I wish it were as easy here as in more civilised countries... :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
:headbutt: I just saw kreoss and assumed it was pkreoss. In that case, have him up front stabbing the heretic scum. AFAIK, dispel doesnt stop the +5 arm and other feat bonuses, but I could be wrong.

Since it's eKreoss we're talking about, I would say sacrosant=win. You hit me? sit down then. Brutal when you're first wave is demolished and then the second wave just takes out the enemy on the ground. His feat is awesome, 2 attacks with p+s 11+ however many dead knights exemplar that auto hit is just wrong.

And yes, I do play almost every game (except for flames of war) and yes, I too envy the more developed countries.

btw, love the new avatar :good:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts