Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Big Mek army I'm planning to use in a tournament come August, tell me what you think and what needs changing.

Big Mek Ork Army List

HQ: Big Mek with Kustom Force-field, Cybork body & Eavy Armour – 100 points.

Troops: 20 Ard Boyz, Nob with Powerklaw, 2 Rokkit Launchas – 255 points.

20 Slugga Boyz, Nob with Powerklaw. 2 Big Shootas – 165 points.

20 Shoota Boyz, Nob with Powerklaw, 2 Big Shootas – 154 points.

20 Grots, 2 Runtherds – 80 points.

Deff Dredd with 2 Rokkit Launchas – 95 points.

Deff Dredd with 2 Rokkit Launchas – 95 points.

Elites: 9 Lootas – 135 points.

Heavy Support: Deff Dredd with four combat arms – 105 points.

3 Killa Kans with Rokkit Launchas – 150 points.

Army Total: 1’495 points.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bosspoles, first and most important thing, get them.

Drop 1 grot, and you wont need 2x Runtherds, 3 Deff Dreads with Rokkit Launchas wont be able to hit the broadside of a barn, I´d either drop them in favour of more boys, or get something more hit-friendly, either flamers or CCW´s, but 3 is overkill, I´d stick with one or two.
KillaKans with Rokkit Launchas will hit the barn, but probably wont do much more than give it some holes, it´ll still be functional, s8 ap3 aint that usefull, even though you´ll hit, you can only glance AV 14, and its a dicey 50/50 for a glance, and even then a low chance of destruction.
I´d try to push in another squad of boys (dropping a deffdread), and dropping the third deffdread in favour of additional 3 kans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Deffdreads shouldn't have rokkit launchas...they have BS2 and they're suppose to run towards the enemy and bash them to a pulp. Give them all CCW to make them a beast in battle, and leave the shooting to your BS3 Killa Kanz.

Plus you only have 1 Big Mek, you can't bring 2 Dreads as a troops choice. You'll be DQ'ed for that. :p

Your army lacks of speed, which a proper heavy shooty/template/quick moving army (Tau/Eldar/IG/Dark Eldar) can tear you to pieces before you even come near him. You may need TL rokkits deffkoptas or TL rokkits buggy as a distraction unit and to get shots at the enemies vehicle side/rear armor. Consider taking another KFF Big Mek as well for that increased cover range and the legal way to get another Dread as a troop choice. :p

The Big Mek can't last in battle and there are too many AP4 weapons out there, so drop the 'eavy armour. You can keep the Cybork body if you want.

Your Boyz Nob should have a Bosspole (its just 5 points!), especially if they are just 20 of them footslogging. The enemy can easily drop templates and force you to check for leadership and run away from the board, never to be seen again.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so I'm going to drop one of the dredds or one of the Kan squads, which'll open the points for the bosspoles. However whenever I've taken pure combat Deff Dredds they've tended to die without making an impact, and on the whole my rolling for BS2 weapons hasn't been to bad, but then again I don't tend to run with them, which is something I want to try.

So here's the revised list based on your recommendations:

HQ: Big Mek with Kustom Force-field, Cybork body & Eavy Armour – 100 points.

Warphead – 85 points.

Troops: 20 Ard Boyz, Nob with Bosspole & Powerklaw, 2 Rokkit Launchas – 260 points.

20 Slugga Boyz, Nob with Bosspole & Powerklaw. 2 Big Shootas – 170 points.

20 Shoota Boyz, Nob with Bosspole & Powerklaw, 2 Big Shootas – 170 points.

19 Grots, Runtherd – 67 points.

Deff Dredd with 4 combat arms – 105 points.

Elites: 9 Lootas – 135 points.

Heavy Support: Deff Dredd with 4 combat arms – 105 points.

Army Total: 1’497 points.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Warpheads are more the fun, than the ooomph you´ll need to put a dent in the enemy.

´ard boys is wasted at suck points, cool you get a 4+ save, but you got a 5+ cover save with properly placed units, and paying 1.64 boys for 1 boy with a 4+, is imho not worth it, just get additional boys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts