Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a list for a friend, seeing what he needs to buy :p.

C&C is very much needed!

HQ:
Space Marine Captain
Bolter
Power Weapon
115pts

Elites:
Dreadnought
Multi Melta
CCW
105pts

5 x Terminators
- Land Raider
- Multi Melta
- Storm Bolter
470pts

(Perhaps a Crusader is more ideal here?)

Troops:
10 Tactical Marines
Flamer
Missile Launcher
- Rhino, Storm Bolter
215pts

10 Tactical Marines
Flamer
Missile Launcher
- Rhino, Storm Bolter
215pts

Fast Attack:
Land Speeder Tornado
- Multi Melta
- Multi Melta (Underslung)
80pts

Heavy Support:

Vindicator
Seige Shield
Extra Armour
Storm Bolter
150pts

Vindicator
Seige Shield
Extra Armour
Storm Bolter
150pts

1500pts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Using single hammer units is a bad idea, if you're going to use landraiders with assault terminators build your list around it. Land raiders get portrayed as invincible but they're actually fairly easy to stop if you know how (meltas/movement blocking), they need the support of the rest of the list to be worth the massive investment.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Agree w/ Drizzt_13 mostly, though I can see using the vindicators as a flanking force to distract from the Land Raider. Personally, I'd drop the Dreadnought. Multimeltas have poor range, and unless the dreadnought's got a drop pod, he probably won't last long enough to do any proper smiting.

Also, the Land Speeder is another vulnerability. LS squads work best in groups of 3, in my experience, otherwise, they get shot down after they get their first shots off.

Perhaps, if you ditch the LS and the Dread, you could put in another souped up Vindicator. Making a formidable spearhead from behind which, the Land raider could punch ride... Or, make a two-pronged assault, vindicators up one flank, LR up the other, and everyone else focuses on objectives...

Just my $.03

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
what kind of termies are you running? Assault or shooting?

That will affect the commanders load out. I would lean toward a ss and relic blade.

The LS I would go MM/HF. 2 MM is alot for the light frame. You normally would be moving 12" a turn anyway and only shoot one weapon. This load out would give you AT and AP at the same time.

Thats a start but still need to know about the termies.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Throwing around large blasts could easily get your termies killed. They could in theory assault on turn 1 and if not then turn 2. I would drop the LR for sure and maybe the termies. If you keep the termies, have them walk and stay behind the tanks/ rhinos for a counter asault. This list will be hurt trying to play objective games. I would have atleast 1 more Tac squad. I also agree with one of the posts above that 1 dreadnaught doesn't really fit in with this list. Now if it is an iron clad drop podding in that could be a different story.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, just to clarify, my friend is to be using all the models from the AOBR set (these are what he already has), and he wants to build around that.

So, he has a commander, tactical squad and terminator squad, and dread from that. If you want to make your own lists feel free!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
solid points by everyone, and i had a feeling you were using AoBR to build this list.

just look at the HQ through the 1st Troop choice...

i would not use the single LS Tornado. LS excel when taken in multiples. you'd be better off using something else.

your Capt. would indeed be better off with a Relic Blade and bolter with Hellfire rounds. where is he riding, BTW?

all your vehicles are at capacity.

i'd drop all the Storm Bolter upgrades on your tanks. dropping thoses and the LS would give you enough points for another Dread, but then again, the current Dread you have is not well set up as he has short range and no pod.

if your friend would be willing to turn it into a Rifleman (two TL AC) or ML Dread then you'd be fine, but as it stands he could be a points sink.

i have to agree with the comments on the LR and the termies, but i do understand about using models you already own.

have you thought about dropping the LR, adding in a termie Libby with them? upgrade one of them to have CML, or Assault Cannon or HF. you'd have to buy the arm online as a bit, but that's a lot cheaper than a $60 (USD) tank.

any left over points could then be used for a badly needed 3rd Troop choice.

whatever your friend decides, good hunting.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think what Drizt and others were getting at is that running a LR + termies in a 1500 pt game is tactically flawed. You CAN make it work, but you need to do a lot of tweaking.

To add further complication, your choice for heavy support is vindicators... which don't have much range and tend to become bricks with storm bolters pretty quick in the game. So to run them effectively you need things like speeders and dreads (rifleman) to counter their shortcomings.

Then your dreadnought has no long range punch either. But you could run them as a line backer, IF you had choices like predators or speeders to handle your LR punch.

You CAN run any of the three elements and still have a good list. But I don't know if its possible to run all three and still have something competetive. If you don't have at least some ranged firepower, any army that has movement can just dance around you and fight the game outside of 24" (like the Eldar)

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna discuss it with my friend (whos brother owns this army), and will see what he thinks. So, all your comments have been taken on board.

Cheers guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.