Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to update my Grey Knights, they started out as a terminator heavy army but due to a rise in AP2 weapons it's currently based around Corteaz and a few squads of Henchmen.
But I'm tired of having my astartes warriors relying on humans to do their fighting and want to get back to a pure astartes army.

List 1 – Pure Grey Knight Force
HQ
175 – Grand Master:
Nemesis Sword
(This guy is here for 1 reason; to grant the Dreadknights and interceptors scoring or outflank depending on the scenario. Cause a fast moving toughness 6 scoring unit is going to be hard to get off an objective.)

TROOPS
250 - Grey Knight Strike Squad:
10 Knights with Psybolt Ammo, 2 Psycannons, 1 Hammer and 1 Justicar.
245 - Grey Knight Strike Squad: 10 Knights with Psybolt Ammo, 2 Psycannons, 1 Force Halberd and 1 Justicar.
(Had to ditch a hammer to make 1500pts, also not sure if to put the hammer on a Justicar as he often gets singled out in challenge and killed before striking?)

FAST ATTACK
310 – 10 Interceptors:
2 Psycannons, 1 Hammer, Justicar and Psybolt Ammo.
(These guys have served me well in past games and will greatly benefit from becoming scoring or outflanking)

HEAVY SUPPORT
260 – Dreadknight:
Personal Teleporter, Great Sword & Heavy Incinerator.
260 – Dreadknight: Personal Teleporter, Great Sword & Heavy Incinerator.
(These guys speak for themselves)

TOTAL PTS: 1500

It's a solid list except 1 major weakness which is no anti-air, but there doesn't seem to be that many flyer heavy armies side necrons and chaos and hopefully enough mass snapfire will bring 1 or 2 down if needed.

List 2 - Grey Knights with Air Support
HQ
65 – Psychic Inquisitor:
Carapace Armour, Brain Mines, Force Sword and Bolt Pistol
(A Cheap HQ to place with a strike squad and grant prescience)

TROOPS
225 – 5 Grey Knight Terminators:
1 Justicar with Halberd, Halberd & Pyscannon, 1 Halberd, 1 Hammer and 1 Sword.
250 - Grey Knight Strike Squad: 10 Knights with Psybolt Ammo, 2 Psycannons, 1 Hammer and 1 Justicar.
250 - Grey Knight Strike Squad: 10 Knights with Psybolt Ammo, 2 Psycannons, 1 Hammer and 1 Justicar.
(Advance and lay down heavy fire)

HEAVY SUPPORT
260 – Dreadknight:
Personal Teleporter, Great Sword & Heavy Incinerator.

450 – Allied Astartes Stormwing Formation: Storm Raven with Multi-Melta & Lascannon, 2 Storm Talons with Assault Cannons and Skyhammer Missile Launchers
(My Grey Knights have always struggled with air units and with the 3 aircraft in the air with high strength weapons, it should solve that problem quite well and unleash a lot of firepower to ground units.)

Total 1500pts

So what do you think and which list do you believe will be the most effective?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I don't know if I would bother with a Stormwing for Grey Knights, when they could simply take two of their own Storm ravens. Since you can't load your GKs into the formatin's bird, it's just 2 tanks... At least if you take a GK version you can fly some stuff around in it.

I think I prefer option 1, especially since you can make the army very 'in your face' and perhaps just ignore aircraft. I'd give Incinerators to the Interceptors as they'll be able to get in close fast, and I'd leave hammers off the strike squads, but give halberds to the justicars to be faster in challenges.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True but the Grey Knight one doesn't have anti-tank missiles, plus with this formation as long as 1 of the 2 storm talons is alive it's gains the strafing run special rule.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Oh, I'm well aware of how the formation works; I was planning to use one in a Dark Angels list because of how bad the Dark Talons are. However, the Gks can at least use Ravens... and you can also run their Ravens with Psyammo, which gives can effect their Heavy Bolters, Hurricanes, and Assault cannons, making a pretty strong anti-everything gun platform, at the cost of their missiles. It's a trade off.

You also don't have any transports, so your army is walking across the board, another reason why option 1 with its shunts at least make you more mobile. If you go with option 2 you at least need Skulls to help deep striking your greys, but then you've got a LOT of your army in reserve to start.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know your not asking for advise involving "puny humans", but with GK the "Coteaz way" is just such an awesome highway...

The following list (@ 1850pts) dominated our Dutch tournament scene for a year, then left while hell drakes ruled, and is now regularly back in full force to make riptides cry. (For 1850 just add an ml1 inq with servo skulls and an extra squad of interceptors.)

HQ- Coteaz @ 100
TR- 3 warriors w/bolters, razorback w/ psybolt ammo @ 65
FA- 10 interceptors w/ full kit @ 310
HS- 1 dreadknight w/ full kit @ 260
Total: 39 models @ 1500

It is just so great to play with those 4 shunting units. Coteaz gives you T1 almost with certainty. While the oppont tries to kill your dreadknights and interceptors the henchmen just take your home objectives and fire some S6 into target of opportunity (even flyers) and late game they can drive across if needed. You often don't need to claim all objectives in order to win big. Just deny your opponents and claim your own.

Feel free to ignore, but playing GK myself I just find that Strike Squads are so incredibly slow compared to interceptors. Especially interceptors combined with dreadknights force your opponent to make target priority mistakes while the pressure prevents him/her from targetting your razorbacks.

On your lists. I can't get over the 175pts you're "wasting" on a HQ that will most likely never see combat. (Sure, you can make units claim... but does that win you games? Compared to just contesting.) Combined with the 500pts in strike squads... If you really want this, please get them rhinos in order to be somewhat protected from hell drakes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An interesting list I'd try if not for the need to buy 3-4 Razorbacks. Anyway I really want to move away from Henchmen and focus on a pure grey knight army (or at least with some marine allies). Feel free to suggest a all grey knight list thou?

As for your suggestions, a scoring unit will get 3pts for an objective which can make a difference in the long run. As for transports I've always run a footslogging force as it maximises the strike squad's damage output with their psybolt storm bolters .

·
Registered
261 Posts
As for your suggestions, a scoring unit will get 3pts for an objective which can make a difference in the long run.
Agreed, but then you will have to be the only claiming/contesting unit on/near that objective. Also rolling a d3 may get you 3, but more likely 2 and sometimes only 1 claiming unit. I don't know the way your tournament rulespacks are build, so I can't really estimate the impact. With no cheap (henchmen) way to claim... Grand Strategy it is.

Your first list is pretty sollid... except for your HQ... really, in your second list you don't take it... Think of the posibilities with Coteaz instead of the grandmaster. Attach Coteaz to an unit and his "i've been expecting you" will really keep people focussed. And he'll give you that much more chance to go first and deal serious damage before you get hit in return.

Not taking the Grand Master ("Sorry, sir dude, but someone has to guard the secrets back home!") will get you Coteaz (prescience and some great other "divination" power and an Ordo Hereticus (slightly better warlord traits) with 3 servo skulls and ML1 (prescience) @ 164. That will get you that second hammer on the strike squad (you don't want to get stuck against some AV12/13 walker with your expensive squad) Both can join a strike squad to boost psybolt output. Being twin-linked with your psycannons you'll get 4 shots each on the move against flyers. That might actually scare them.

HQ- 1 Inquisitor Coteaz @ 100 (join strike squad 1)
HQ- 1 Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor w/ 3 servo skulls, psyker (ML1) @ 64 (join strike squad 2)
TR- 10 grey knights w/ 2 psycannons, psybolt ammo, daemon hammer @ 250
TR- 10 grey knights w/ 2 psycannons, psybolt ammo, daemon hammer @ 250
Total: 34 models @ 1494

This list is incredibly low on scoring and you don't really want combat squads, but you just may have to do it. On the bright side, those 2 dreadknights and twin-linked interceptors (turn one prescience) will do serious damage and keep your opponent busy while you walk at him. (Hell drakes will ruine your day...)

Good luck! :good:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts