Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Im new here and fresh back to 40k after about 5 years. So feel free to tell me if my thinking on my army list is way off as im yet to have a game in 7th Edition.

So here we go;

HQ
Chaplain
Techmarine, Servo Harness

TROOPS
10 Marines, 1 Plasma Cannon

ELITES
5 Terminators, TH / SS
1 Dreadnought, TL Lascannon

HEAVY SUPPORT
5 Devastators, 4 Plasma Cannons
5 Devastators, 4 Lascannons
1 Land Raider Redeemer

Now my plan was to just aggressively charge the landraider up the board with the Techmarine, Chaplain and 5 Terminators and let them charge out while the land raider carries on burning everything close. Anything hard to deal with will be targeted by my plasma devs sat in a fortified building (from techmarine). The troops I will combat squad and the 5 staying still will have my plasma marine in, the 5 moving will be capturing objectives or taking better positions on the board. The lascannon devs and lascannon dread will obviously be targeting tanks. I mainly going up against Chaos he tends to go with daemon prince, sorcerer, dreadnought, terminators, land raider and a couple of troops including some cultists.

My questions are:

1. What Chapter should I use that would benefit me more.
2. Will i struggle to kill anything he has above.
3. Are my Tacticals wasted by using them to get extra plasma cannons onto the field.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :drinks:

1. What Chapter should I use that would benefit me more.
I'm a fan of Imperial Fist tactics. They'll help your Devs and your Tacticals be better at what they do.

2. Will i struggle to kill anything he has above.
Well, you have over a third of your points total tied up in one 6 man unit in a tank. I'd be worried about that LRR being flat-tired first turn, forcing your CC unit to walk...slowly. At least you've got a Techmarine in there to try and regenerate some HP/Immobilized results. I wouldn't even disembark him.

3. Are my Tacticals wasted by using them to get extra plasma cannons onto the field.
I prefer to keep Heavy weapons out of my Tactical squads so that they never suffer a consequence for being mobile. 10 guys with a Plasma/Melta Gun is typically how I run them, with my Blood Angels I add in a Heavy Flamer 'cuz I can and because it's an Assault weapon.

Another thing that sticks out to me is the TLLC/CCW Dreadnought. I'd find the points to add a Missile Launcher to his other arm instead of the Power Fist so that he's better at shooting, since I imagine he's to support the Devastators.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ntaw,

Thanks for your reply. So I think I'll run imperial fists as it does sound really helpful especially for my devs. I was thinking that by combat squading my tacticals it was making them easier to deal with for my enemy which I would rather have 1 10 man squad. So I'll take out my plasma cannons and roll plasma guns which is a straight swap points wise. I'll also stick the missile launcher on my dread leaving me with 10 points spare.

I know it's a lot of points for my terminators in a land raider but I feel that if I have assault terminators that they need a land raider because they won't get anywhere at all. He doesn't seem to have much anti tank weapons in his army so I think I could probably deploy clear of his dread if he's armed it with anti tank weapons. Once it's close I'll try and get it between 2units and rain fire which hopefully will get it half its points back. I'll see how I get on with it, if I feel like I'm lacking sometching then the raider is the first thing to go and I'll have to deep strike my termies in maybe with a drop podded unit of veterans

Cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
I quite like it, from the POV of a chaos marine player I'm a bit jealous of TH/SS termies and variations on the land raider. Those 2+/3++ saves with hammers are a great answer to so many problem units out there

I agree the plasma cannons in the tactical units would probably be better swapped out for assault weapons. I'd prefer taking two units of 10 in rhinos, then taking a cheaper unit instead of the third squad- maybe bikes with meltas. Not sure that is possible as far as points go but I'd be looking to make that work somehow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice squire. I will have a look into putting rhinos on 2 tactical squads and maybe cutting the 3rd unit down to 5 in a rhino or swapping it for bikes if the points allow me.

If i took out 10 marines and added 2 rhinos I know I could fit in a melta/ccw dread to maybe run up behind the land raider maybe that would cause more problems than a 10 man tac squad

Cheers

·
Registered
434 Posts
welcome to the boards brother! (see what I did there?)

I'm not a huge fan of plasma cannons, simply because when the enemy spreads out you're only getting like one hit each. It's even harder to get multiple hits when firing at terminator type bases. I'd take missile devs instead. I def agree with imperial fists tactics on this list. The missiles get tank hunters and cultists can be fragged down by MLs too (harder to spread out those hordes). The tacticals need some mobility so drop pods or rhinos are great.

I'm guessing the chappie is there to roll with the TH/SS terminators. An ML2 librarian could hook you up with some deny dice and maybe some nifty psyker buffs. Divination works in CC too.

I like the list though. It's very balanced and has a good feel to it. It's not all spammy like my builds usually end up being so you'll have lots of different units to handle different things. It'll be a lot of fun to play. I'd just slow down on the plasma a bit really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts