Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to work up a first Grey Knights list. Willing to change anything about the list except Castellan Crowe, he is my favourite GK character and don't want to remove him.

HQ
Castellan Crowe - 150pts

Elites
Nothing

Troops
Terminator Squad - 205pts
-Incinerator

Terminator Squad - 200pts
-5 x Nemesis Halberds

Purifier Squad - 145pts
-5 x Nemesis Falchions

Dedicated Transports
Razorback - 45pts
-Lascannon/Twin-linked Plasma Gun

Razorback - 45pts

Fast Attack
Nothing

Heavy Support
Purgation Squad - 145pts
-4 x Psilencers
-Nemesis Daemonhammer (Justicar)

Purgation Squad - 185pts
-4 x Psycannons
-Nemesis Daemonhammer

Land Raider - 280pts
-Multi-Melta
-Extra Armour

LotN

·
Registered
55 Posts
First of all you need to understand that this isn't a competitive list. If you are ok with this then there only minor changes and things you need to be aware of.

First Crowe isn't an independent character so he can't join squads. I have no idea what GW was thinking here. So if you can take a 2nd HQ as your warlord as Crowe will die quickly if he is your warlord.

2nd never take multiple squads of 5 of the same thing. Terminators or GKSS, purigation is the exception to this because of the specialty weapons count). It is cheaper to take a squad of 10 and command squad them into 2 5 man squads. also this allows you to buy psybolt ammo for all 10 while only paying for it once.

Psilencers are not worth taking because they are a heavy weapon. Psycannons are always the better option. That said I have never found puragation squads to play as well as they look on paper. I have found that the Dreadnaught with the twinlinked autocannons and upgraded ammo to be a much better choice.

Hope this helps and welcome to GK.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
HQ
Castellan Crowe - 150pts

Elites
Nothing

Troops
Terminator Squad - 205pts
-Incinerator

Terminator Squad - 200pts
-5 x Nemesis Halberds

As mentioned, I'd go with one 10-man squad of Terminators. The usual load out to be able to do everything is 1 hammer, 2 swords and 2 halberds per 5 Terminators; this gives you one unwieldy smash for heavy targets, two hitting fast, and 2 better CC invul saves. Psycannons on these guys are diesel because of the Relentless platform. Also, give the 10-man squad Psybolt Ammo.

Purifier Squad - 145pts
-5 x Nemesis Falchions

Not sure the point of the Falchions. Purifiers already get an extra attack, so I suppose if you REALLY want these guys to blender things, go for it. But don't Purifiers get cheap Incinerators? Might want to consider them as the delivery system for all that flaming goodness. I assume one of the Razorbacks belong to this group.

Dedicated Transports
Razorback - 45pts

Razorback - 45pts

You haven't added in the cost of your heavy guns onto the transports. I don't think I'd use the LasPlas, either... either go with TL Lascannons to make up for your lack of anti-tank, or run Heavy Bolters with PsyAmmo, which is pretty effective. I assume one of these is linked to a Purgation squad.

Fast Attack
Nothing

Heavy Support
Purgation Squad - 145pts
-4 x Psilencers
-Nemesis Daemonhammer (Justicar)

Don't bother with Psilencers. Psycannons win.

Purgation Squad - 185pts
-4 x Psycannons
-Nemesis Daemonhammer

Why are you giving hammers to your dedicated 'Devestator' squads? Wasted points. These guys should NEVER be up front.

Now, as someone else pointed out, for the same cost as these two Purgation Squads you could run 3 Dreadnoughts, with x2 TLAC and Psyammo... and I think you'd get more effect out of them. You get far better range, better accuracy, and while you lose rending and shot quantity, you get higher strength all around weaponry on walker platforms.

Land Raider - 280pts
-Multi-Melta
-Extra Armour

I would suggest dropping the Land Raider for a Stormraven. They serve similar roles; the Raven is basically a flying tank. It can take a Multi-Melta and a TL Lascannon, and while it only has one Las, it's more maneuverable, and can drop one of those terminator squads on people. Alternatively, give it Assault Cannons, Hurricane Bolters, front Heavy Bolters, and Psy Ammo, and EVERYTHING benefits from the ammo. Cheaper than the raider.

LotN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts