Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm returning to tournament play. With the 3rd edition Eldar list I used to play a lot and won tournaments, but then quite a few things changed in my life. Now I'm planning to return to tournaments in the 4th edition. The next tournament in here will be 1500pts if I heard correctly.
My pre-beta list is the following:

HQ
Autarch @ 140 Pts [Mandiblaster (Mb); Eldar Jetbike (EJB); Laser Lance; Fusion Gun;]
Farseer @ 115 Pts [EJB, Fortune]
4x Warlock @ 205 Pts [EJB, Embolden 2x - since I don't know what to do with the last 5 points], Enhance]

Heavy Support
Falcon @ 205 Pts [Spirit Stone; Star Engines] - used for transporting the harlequins

Elite
6x Harlequin Troupe @ 148 Pts [ Troupe Master, 6x Kiss]

Troops
10 Dire Avengers @ 327 Pts [Exarch: Bladestorm; Defend; Power Weapon; Shimmershield; Wave Serpent: Spirit Stone; Star Engines; Shuriken Cannon; TL Scatter Laser]
3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron @ 76 Pts [SCan]

Fast Attack
2+1+1 Vyper Squadron @ 280 Pts [SctL, SCan] - Since I have no other fast attack I can group the Vypers into 3 squadrons.

Note.1: I'm not using Vectored Engines on any of my skimmers.
Note.2: I would not like to decrease the number of Vypers below 2-3.
Note.3: To deal with the Land Raiders and Monoliths and other heavy armored targets I would use the Farseer and his Warlocks. And in most of the cases the Autarch would ride in their unit to benefit from the bonuses, like Fortune.

Waiting for your critiques and comments. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Interesting...

Most Eldar armies I come against have more infantry, but I like the mobility options your army has. I am by no means the Eldar expert in these forums, but I like the basic structure of the army, it is definately different

Goodluck!

Alias

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is definately different
Thanks a lot for the reply, I was not playing against recent eldar tournament builds, so I added what I think is a good.

The thing I'm trying to guess if it's good or not is the Farseer and his 4 warlocks on Jetbikes. The Witchblades they carry are good against most heavy vehicles and monstrous creatures. I will have no problem with fast low armor vehicles, but a monolith can't be cracked easily if you play eldar. Swooping Hawks might do a better job at a lower point value against a monolith, but they are useless against an army that has no such thing, and they will not survive the turn after they kill their first vehicle I think, but the invulnerable + armor save of the farseers squad makes it quite possible that they can meet a second foe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well I like how your army can engage the enemy quickly in CC, but against a CC heavy army, I think you would have some problem. You might want to toss out the Guardian Jetbikes and add some more CC or anti-armor. I have never had a lot of success against or with Jetbikes. You probably want to touch base with george or Jig. Both are avid Eldar players and a lot more knowledgeable on playing Eldar than me.

Goodluck

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would certainly love their advice too. Against a close combat heavy army I can try to keep my distance and shoot them. Not to mention that ideally the Harlequins with the help of the Autarch and the Farseers should slay any heavy close combat unit. I think with my mobility I can arrange that I will be on the charging side.

·
Registered
280 Posts
First of all, I'm returning to tournament play. With the 3rd edition Eldar list I used to play a lot and won tournaments, but then quite a few things changed in my life. Now I'm planning to return to tournaments in the 4th edition. The next tournament in here will be 1500pts if I heard correctly.
My pre-beta list is the following:
Welcome back and the only thing you really need to know is that most Eldar did not change that much, they are a little more balanced and certianly still very viable.

HQ
Autarch @ 140 Pts [Mandiblaster (Mb); Eldar Jetbike (EJB); Laser Lance; Fusion Gun;] Solid
Farseer @ 115 Pts [EJB, Fortune] Throw the Runes of Warding in here too, as it seriously hurts enemy psychers.
4x Warlock @ 205 Pts [EJB, Embolden 2x - since I don't know what to do with the last 5 points], Enhance]Here I say go with Embolden, Enhance, 2 Destructors and 2 Spears.... Gives you serious anti-tank, crowd control, and if in CC with small enemy units there is no contest. Maybe throw in a 5th warlock (naked) just as a shock absorber.

Heavy Support
Falcon @ 205 Pts [Spirit Stone; Star Engines] - used for transporting the harlequins Holo-fields, Stones, Vectored Engines are the most resilient items, then add Star Engines if you think you need the extra speed, I also recommend keeping the weapons as minimal as possible as it will not shoot that often (star Engiens and enemies do tend to shake them - often).

Elite
6x Harlequin Troupe @ 148 Pts [ Troupe Master, 6x Kiss]
(162) 6 Harlies: Shadowseer, and 6 Kisses.
I know that hte Troupe Master looks better at first glance; but the Plasma Grenades, Hit and Run, and the Viel of Tears is seriously almost manditory if your going to hit anything solid (and you should be), if you find the points then get the TM also; but he is not as important as the S-Seer.

Troops
10 Dire Avengers @ 327 Pts [Exarch: Bladestorm; Defend; Power Weapon; Shimmershield; Wave Serpent: Spirit Stone; Star Engines; Shuriken Cannon; TL Scatter Laser]Wow, not bad, you can make a few adjustments; but this is certainly usable for almost any game you get into.
3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron @ 76 Pts [SCan]Again a very solid Min/Max squad, play peek a boo and harrass away, they are great on light vehicles also (landspeeders, etc).

Fast Attack
2+1+1 Vyper Squadron @ 280 Pts [SctL, SCan] - Since I have no other fast attack I can group the Vypers into 3 squadrons.
Love it, often under-estimated; I use 6 of them (2,2,2) and the shear wieght of fire can saturate pretty well anything.

Note.1: I'm not using Vectored Engines on any of my skimmers.
They can be a good insurane policy, so you may wish to re-consider this.
Note.2: I would not like to decrease the number of Vypers below 2-3.
I hear you, worst case scenerio get 3 at least (1,1,1,)
Note.3: To deal with the Land Raiders and Monoliths and other heavy armored targets I would use the Farseer and his Warlocks. And in most of the cases the Autarch would ride in their unit to benefit from the bonuses, like Fortune.
All solid, but do the reading, you will see how my suggestions can only add to what you have already. Autarch is also really good with a Reaper Launcher if you find that you need some mobile Anti-power-armour; baut I think you can simply saturate them and do the same thing.

Well those are my comments, I didn't do up the math; but as a long time Saim-Hann player (and often Tourny player) I like the feel of your army overall. If I had to make any drastic change I would swap out the DA & Serpent for a JB squad just to save points and becasue Serpents are fairly soft at the tournament level (unless you fully Grav Tank orientated); Something like:
(156) Jetbikes - 5: 1 shuri-cannon, including a Destructor Warlock with Spear.
The unit looks soft; but look again, it is small enough for Peek a boo, can drop armour, can displace enemy in cover with the flamer and actually can even be used for Crowd Control. In certain scenerios, it can even help with HtH... and its dirt cheap.

I hope that all helps you in some manner, good luck and once again, Welcome Back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow, thanks a lot for the comment. It was very extensive and I'm glad you like my list. I will post the rethinkered list very soon.
Edit: I remade the list with your very useful thoughts.

Autarch (155 Pts)
Mandiblaster; Eldar Jetbike; Laser Lance; Reaper Launcher

Council on Jetbikes (398 Pts)
1 Farseer on Jetbike @ 133 Pts
Fortune; RofWard; Singing Spear;
1 Warlock Unit on Jetbikes @ 265 Pts
1 Warlock @ [60] Pts (Enhance)
1 Warlock @ [50] Pts (Embolden)
2 Warlock @ [55] Pts each (Destructor)
1 Warlock @ [45] Pts (not very eager to die at first chance, but someone has to do it)

5 Harlequin Troupe with Kiss @ 162 Pts
1 Shadow Seer with [email protected] [52] Pts
1 Falcon @ 200 Pts (aka. Hell Falcon / Harly Taxy)
Holo-Field; SpStn; Star Engines; Vectored Engines;

8 Dire Avengers @ 295 Pts
1 Dire Avenger Exarch @ [54] Pts
Defend (D); Power Weapon; Shimmershield (Sshld)
1 Wave Serpent @ [145] Pts
SpStn; Star Engines; Vectored Engines;

3 Guardian Jetbikes @ 76 Pts
Shuriken Cannon (SCan) (x1)

3*1 Vyper Squadron @ 70 Pts
1 Vyper in each Squadron with Scatter Laser; Shuriken Cannon

Total Cost: 1496

What do you think of this list? Is this better? How could I improve it? Off-topic a bit: What's the best way to make Warlocks / Farseer on jetbike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
star engines on the falcon and the serpent is not neccessary.
Add spirit stones and another power for the farseer, eldritch storm is excellent for tank hunting and for anti-horde.
Runes of witnessing is great when he is in a warlock unit which allows him to re-roll his psychic test with embolden.
Drop a warlock and maybe a destructor to get the points for it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Autarch (155 Pts)
Mandiblaster; Eldar Jetbike; Laser Lance; Reaper Launcher

Council on Jetbikes (398 Pts)
1 Farseer on Jetbike @ 133 Pts
Fortune; RofWard; Singing Spear;
1 Warlock Unit on Jetbikes @ 265 Pts
1 Warlock @ [60] Pts (Enhance)
1 Warlock @ [50] Pts (Embolden)
2 Warlock @ [55] Pts each (Destructor)
1 Warlock @ [45] Pts (not very eager to die at first chance, but someone has to do it)

5 Harlequin Troupe with Kiss @ 162 Pts
1 Shadow Seer with [email protected] [52] Pts
1 Falcon @ 200 Pts (aka. Hell Falcon / Harly Taxy)
Holo-Field; SpStn; Star Engines; Vectored Engines;

8 Dire Avengers @ 295 Pts
1 Dire Avenger Exarch @ [54] Pts
Defend (D); Power Weapon; Shimmershield (Sshld)
1 Wave Serpent @ [145] Pts
SpStn; Star Engines; Vectored Engines;

3 Guardian Jetbikes @ 76 Pts
Shuriken Cannon (SCan) (x1)

3*1 Vyper Squadron @ 70 Pts
1 Vyper in each Squadron with Scatter Laser; Shuriken Cannon

Total Cost: 1496 You have the points, to add a Singing Spear to your Embolden Warlock on JB.... it never hurts for anti-tank.

You may find that you don't need the Star Engines (but playtesting would be requried at this point due to them being completely dependant on your prefered style. Oh and you may find that if teh Tanks hang back a turn or two, you can set some good traps for the enemie and get momre bang for your buck when youdo send in those DA and Harlies. Also remember that the JB HQ squad is not best used in prolonged combat, they need to get in, and get out to go hunt more things to me the most effective. Try it out and see if you like it; but I could certainly use this list with ease to beat most armies out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the reply Fenris.
I don't think that Runes of Witnessing is a must with embolden. It can be even a burden, since if you roll 1,1,x you get a perils of the warp, and it's not a failed LD test so you can't reroll with embolden.
Eldritch storm. I was always thinking at it as something broken. I doubt that it has competitive uses.
The star engines are indeed not neccessary, but I don't have any better idea right now, and they help to get close to the enemy asap.

Thanks a lot moc065,
I added the Spear. I will playtest this list some more. I played only one game with it against Necrons on Omega and it was a great success. I decided to keep all my troops in reserve and use Master Strategist to get them in 3rd turn at 3+.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts