Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I was thinking on using 10 Wraithguard + Spiritseer troop choice at low point values, like 1500. The idea is to use them with the Farseer to give fortune, thus making a very resilient troops that can kill most of the things with 1 shooting round. Long story short, here is the list. I'm waiting your replied. Thanks a lot.

• 2 Fire Prism [Holo-Field, Spirit Stone]
  • Falcon [Holo-Field; Spirit Stone; Scatter Laser; Shuriken Cannon]
  • 10 Wraithguard +Spiritseer [Enhance]
  • 5 Dire Avengers
  • 6 Harlequin Troupe [Harlequins Kiss]
  • Farseer [Fortune, Runes of Witnessing, Singing Spear]
  • Autarch [Mandiblaster; Eldar Jetbike; Laser Lance; Reaper Launcher]
  • 2 Shining Spears + Exarch [Skilled Rider; Withdraw]

Notes: The Shining Spear Exarch was given no Star Lance, and the Falcon's main purpose it to transport Harlequins.

What do you think? Would this work? How could I improve it?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I'd drop the Falcon and the DA's and get another unit of Wraithguard...

Keep the harlies far back as a counter assault unit for the Wraithguard, as that will likely be the easiest way to take them down, and give the Spirit Seers Conceal rather than Enhance. A rerollable 5++ against lascannons would be worth more, I think, and encourage the foe to advance into the Wraithguard/Harly combo. Might be forced to lose the spears as well, this way... hmmm.

So (don't have codex handy)

Farseer
10 Wraithguard w/ Seer
10 Wraithguard w/ Seer
5-10 Harlies
Prism
Prism

This setup would make for one helluvva flanking force.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
Spiritseer with conceal was my first idea too, but most of the time I try to keep them in cover anyway.

A squad of 10 Wraithguards + Spiritseer is 396. If don't bring them in full size they don't count as troops.

Farseer
10 Wraithguard w/ Seer
10 Wraithguard w/ Seer
5-10 Harlies
4-5 Spears
Prism
Prism
I can get 2 Spears with Exarch and 6 Harlies with Kiss from 1500 points if I include two Wraithguard troops. And since one of the wraithguards would have no fortune they would die real quick.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like this set up and the idea behind it, however, I believe you would greatly benefit from transporting the wraitguard in a wave serpent. The reason being that they have such short ranged fire power and are so slow that faster and more maneuverable armies would simply avoid them and either shoot at them from a safe distance or dispose of the rest of your army first.

·
Registered
280 Posts
  • 2 Fire Prism [Holo-Field, Spirit Stone]Use range to your advantage and these are great.
  • Falcon [Holo-Field; Spirit Stone; Scatter Laser; Shuriken Cannon] Add Vectored Engines and minimize the guns ar its a transport first and then a Gun ship.... smart enemies will keep it shaken anyway, so shooting will not always be an option.
  • 10 Wraithguard +Spiritseer [Enhance]Use Conceal and then Fortune them with your Farseer, Oh and these are a *Troops choice* for those interested
  • 5 Dire Avengers (76) 3 Jetbikes, 1 Shuri-cannon is the most effective cheap **Troops Choice**. I know yours is cheaper, but its also a one shot wonder.
  • 6 Harlequin Troupe [Harlequins Kiss] Shadowseer is a must for the Plasma Grenades and VOT.
  • Farseer [Fortune, Runes of Witnessing, Singing Spear] Drop the RoWit and get RoWard.... think about it.... the rest is good.
  • Autarch [Mandiblaster; Eldar Jetbike; Laser Lance; Reaper Launcher Some will say that the Fusion Gun is better than the RL; but both have thier uses so it comes down to playstyle and points.
  • 2 Shining Spears + Exarch [Skilled Rider; Withdraw] I love these guys and they can absolutely Rock in CC as they can certainly assault on turn 2 for many games....

I think the list has potential, write it up with the points cost for the units and see how it crunches down.... Oh and if I were to suggest any one change it would be the JB swap for the DA... If you want more input on tactics and such, let me know.

CaHG

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the feedback, it was really helpful. I would really love to get some input on tactics too. A lot changed since 3rd edition eldar. I'm playing since a log ago, but trying to return to the competitive side. (I even got those cool 2nd edition harlies.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like the idea of your list, hell, I played around with one like it for awhile. The problem is that wraith guard SUCK BULLOCKS in close combat. 1 attack? no power weapons? Its sad watching 6 marines with a powerfist mow through them like they're made out of rice paper. If you can find a way to keep them out of close combat, then you're a better man than I. If you can solve that problem, I raise my glass to you sire, you are lord of the eldar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ubiquitous, I think we share the same problem. Close combat against high str. power weapons or dreadnoughts. Well dreadnoughts are not that big issue, since the spiritseer has a very good chance to penetrate them, but powerfists hidden in squads are.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you guys are loosing WG to small Tac squads with PF's then your doing something wrong.

1.. WG get 2 attacks each if they assault (and thats after they shoot) so they should be dropping SM like mad.
2.. Your list has enough dedicated Assault units in it that no enemy should ever be tiying the WG up. here is what I am talking about. During your enemies turn you use Withdraw on both the Spears (autarch atached) and the Harlequins to get them out of CC and moving closer to the WG. Then on your turn, you run those units right into anything "DUMB" enough to get into CC with the WG; Thus you re-initiate CC with Rending or Str=6 PW's and crush the foolhardy on the spot.
3.. Your list also has grav tanks it it... use them a mobile blocker that the WG can shoot right under, and enemy must travel all the way around to get at the WG in CC.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check out e-bay, Bartertown, Kijiji, etc for sales on the Wraithguard, I managed to get 15 of them over the last 6 months at about $4.00 a figure if you factor in Shipping costs. (not to shabby) Anyway I like the whole concept and just putting 10 WG on the table with a Concealing Spiritseer and some "Fortune" should scare the crap out of any smart opponent.

OK, tactica 101

Eldrad (or any Fortuning Farseer)
walks along with WG, Avatar, and some Guardians to form an "Anvil"... Avatar happens to join the WG and the Guardians happen to be the most forward unit. Eldrad uses Fortun on the WG (Avatar gets it for free) and on the Guardians. Enemy must kill all the Guardians befoe they break so all of a sudden they don't need a Warlock and their platforms shoots until the last man dies. At this point the WG are close enough to start their business so the Avatar goes his seperate way (not to far) and Big E now Fortune those 2 squads.... Shoot the crap out af anythign close, and let the Avatar handle the CC. Of course you still have some harlies/Spears/ other dedicated CC unit available to assist, and even agaisnt super fast Chaso Bombs, the "Anvil" can withstand virtually any CC (Yes I have used it this way)... And stats ("Ardboys Tournament) proves that others do it to (where the guy I am speaking of came 3rd overall). I did better with my list; but I wasn't against the level of compition he had either.

Now you say thats a lot of points, well add soem Pathfinders, a couple Falcon/prism, and maybe a cheap vyper and your at 2K... so its certainly viable, and I can do it at about 1.5k+.

I won't bore you with a million details; but certain combos work better on the table than they do on paper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot. The guardians are a good idea. Unfortunately to use fortune on them and the Wraithguards you need Eldrad. A farseer with spirit stone can't use the same power twice, but maybe the forunte on the guardians is not that important.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like the idea of your list, hell, I played around with one like it for awhile. The problem is that wraith guard SUCK BULLOCKS in close combat. 1 attack? no power weapons? Its sad watching 6 marines with a powerfist mow through them like they're made out of rice paper. If you can find a way to keep them out of close combat, then you're a better man than I. If you can solve that problem, I raise my glass to you sire, you are lord of the eldar.

i'm not too sure bc i dont play eldar but, last i remeber the wraithgaurd are the guys with the gun that sends you into the warp with no armor saves. i'm pretty sure you are getting a round of shooting before assault happens, turn 2 the most just prioritize your targets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They can kill anything even a monolith or terminators in a shooting. The problem is that a smart and fast enemy will do everything to avoid their 12" range.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its not as easy to avoid their range as some amy think... especially if you have some fast and ranged stuff in your army to offset them. Example... Prism(s) Harlies, Shining Spears, Platforms, Vypers, etc..... The Guardians are a lot less vital to have Fortune on... so if your using 1 Farseer, then Fortune the WG and let the Guardians suffer with Conceal alone (he still has to kill all 10 before they stop shooting with their paltform, or block his path).

Maybe I shouldn't do this; but the hell with it. Here is the Eldar list that did very well at the 'Ardboys tournament. Please note that this is not my list but was used by "Lazarus" who is one of the top ranked Eldar Players.
HQ
(210) Eldrad
(155) Avatar
Troops
(76) 3 guardian jetbikes w/ shuriken cannon upgrade
(76) 3 guardian jetbikes w/ shuriken cannon upgrade
(144) 6 pathfinders
(153) 10 guardian defenders w/ bright lance + warlock w/ conceal, ss & pistol
Elite
(113) 5 fire dragons + exarch w/ dragon's breath & crack shot
(113) 5 fire dragons + exarch w/ dragon's breath & crack shot
(260) 7 harlies+troupe master w/ power weapon, shadow seer and deathjester. 5 kisses total in the unit.
FA
(70) Vyper w/ scatter laser & shuriken cannon
HS
(220) Falcon w/ pulse laser, scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo field, spirit stones, vectored engines & star engines
(220) Falcon w/ pulse laser, scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo field, spirit stones, vectored engines & star engines
(190) Fire prism w/ prism cannon, shuriken cannon, holo field, spirit stones & vectored engines.

2K, 51 models, 12 scoring units

Now his ability as a general certainly had a role to play in the success of the list; but, he also got some unfortunate breaks or he could have done even better (missions, opponents, etc). He did not loose any games with this list by the way, the only reason he didn't win was because some of the other lists scored more Massacre results than he did.

Maybe seeing the whole list will put some of the concepts I spoke of into perspective. Anyway, I hope it gives you some ideas to work with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i dont know anything about the eldar, but could you guys give me a really cool army list? i want to start an eldar army.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
(190) Fire prism w/ prism cannon, shuriken cannon, holo field, spirit stones & vectored engines. [/COLOR]

Maybe seeing the whole list will put some of the concepts I spoke of into perspective. Anyway, I hope it gives you some ideas to work with.
Thanks a thousand times.
The only thing I don't understand in the list is the lone prism with vectored engines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont know anything about the eldar, but could you guys give me a really cool army list? i want to start an eldar army.
Well, I would say that there is no such thing as a really cool list. The coolness depends on your play style and abilities. I would start from a list of 500 points and try to play a few test game with it. Eldar is harder to learn to use then most of the lists, but certainly worth the try, since one of the most competitive armies available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts