4 Incinerators

TROOPS
5 Grey Knight Terminators
Psycannon and 5 Nemesis Falchions

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dreadknight
Personal Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator and Greatsword
@Xabre

I'd quite like to free up 34pts for a Servo Skull Inquisitor, but not at the expense of... pretty much anything in the list, really.

Rarely for one of my lists, no model restrictions - I bought the Codex yesterday, and will buy the army with my paycheck at the end of the week, so suggest whatever!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
First thoughts: You could drop the psycannon on the Captain and use the relic Storm Bolter, which gets you some points.

I'm also not convinced on the banner. I haven't studied it much, but it seems too costly for low point games. Or more specifically, small groupings of troops.

I'm also not sold on TWO squads of Purifiers. Useful, sure, but, at the same time... I dunno. Personal preference there I guess. I'd probably run a second squad of Terminators. But I'm at work, not sure how the points will work out there.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thoughts: You could drop the psycannon on the Captain and use the relic Storm Bolter, which gets you some points.
I'd go for the Incinerator over the silly Storm Bolter, and I'd go for it in an ideal world, but looking over the GK book it seems like you really need to take anti-tank wherever an opportunity presents itself - doubly so on Terminators, as they can fire Psycannons at full effect while PAGK seem very inefficient with Psycannons (a 12" range Autocannon isn't wildly exciting compared to a Str6 Heavy Flamer on Deep Striking, pseudo-Battle Focus models, especially when the Psycannon is double the cost of the Incinerator). As such, I gave the Brother-Captain the Psycannon so he can join in and strip some hull points with the rest of the Terminators.

I'm also not convinced on the banner. I haven't studied it much, but it seems too costly for low point games. Or more specifically, small groupings of troops.
Fair point, especially since my only other units are Fearless. I thought it bumped the Paladins up to really scary numbers of attacks, but I just realised it replaces the bearer's melee weapon and so you lose the 2 (3 with Falchions) attacks from the Paladin to gain an extra 4 attacks for the unit.

I'm also not sold on TWO squads of Purifiers. Useful, sure, but, at the same time... I dunno. Personal preference there I guess. I'd probably run a second squad of Terminators. But I'm at work, not sure how the points will work out there.
I brought Purifiers since, compared to Strikes, they seem a steal. 5pts per model is quite a bit, but you get Mastery 2 (+4 Warp Charge dice when you Combat Squad!), Cleansing Flame, extra Special Weapons, Fearless, Soul Blaze, +1 attack and +1 Ld for the odd Psychic Shriek/Abyssal Staff/etc.

Strikes just seem... really bad compared to the other versions of PAGK. 4pts to give them a Personal Teleporter is incredible - on a full 10-man unit, that still costs barely more than buying them a transport. Purgation Squads, perhaps not, since losing Deep Strike for Night Fight is pretty crappy. Purifiers get a whole bunch of bonuses outlined above. Strike Squads seem like their only selling point is Objective Secured (at which Terminators are arguably better, and which doesn't apply to the Nemesis Strike Force) and numbers, a game at which Grey Knights will always lose anyway; bringing lots of bodies doesn't really work when a 5-man unit will set you back over 100pts.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
while PAGK seem very inefficient with Psycannons (a 12" range Autocannon isn't wildly exciting compared to a Str6 Heavy Flamer on Deep Striking, pseudo-Battle Focus models, especially when the Psycannon is double the cost of the Incinerator). As such, I gave the Brother-Captain the Psycannon so he can join in and strip some hull points with the rest of the Terminators.
Incinerators with that T1 DS pseudo Battle Focus sound really scary, honestly.

I might honestly consider a second Termi squad instead of the Paladins, really--it'd free up points for that Inquisitor, at least. I would advise getting hammers into those Termi (and Paladin) squads, at least, though, by whatever means necessary. You're going to need the melee AP2 and tank-cracking capability.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incinerators with that T1 DS pseudo Battle Focus sound really scary, honestly.
That's the hope - 2D6 Str5 AP4 Ignores Cover hits from Cleansing Flame, then 2 Incinerators in the Shooting Phase, four times over for the Combat Squads!

I might honestly consider a second Termi squad instead of the Paladins, really--it'd free up points for that Inquisitor, at least. I would advise getting hammers into those Termi (and Paladin) squads, at least, though, by whatever means necessary. You're going to need the melee AP2 and tank-cracking capability.
That makes a lot of sense - Battle Focus is nice, but it's really nice with Servo Skulls.

So:

NEMESIS STRIKE FORCE
HQ
Brother-Captain
Nemesis Falchions, Cuirass of Sacrifice, and Psycannon

ELITES
10 Purifiers
4 Incinerators

10 Purifiers
4 Incinerators

TROOPS
Psycannon, 4 Nemesis Falchions and Daemonhammer

Psycannon, 4 Nemesis Falchions and Daemonhammer

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dreadknight
Personal Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator and Greatsword

INQUISITORIAL DETACHMENT
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
3 Servo-Skulls

1375pts on the dot. Suggestions? I'd like reserve manipulation, ideally - although an Aegis Line with Comms Relay seems rather wasteful, the Inquisitor can sit behind it, work the Comms Relay and Go to Ground for a 2+ cover save to try and prevent the enemy getting his easy First Blood point. That's also pretty much the cheapest guaranteed reserve manipulation I could find.

On a side note - does going all Falchions on the Terminators seem like a good idea? Halberds seem unnecessary (Hammerhand getting you to Str7 is barely an improvement from Str6), Staves are obviously too niche for squad-wide use, Hammers are only really needed on one dude and make the squad very expensive, and while Swords are perfectly good, it seemed a shame to pass up on such a cheap way to get an extra attack.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I like this one better, even if very little changed about it. The body count only changed by one, and you lost a few wounds, but I think the utility increased.

I believe I remember reading that a Comms Relay could be purchased WITHOUT the Aegis, making it even cheaper... a piece of battlefield debris or some such. I dunno. My own army list went with the full Aegis, but I also was throwing Vindicaires behind the wall, possibly. Dreadnoughts too, in some version (I wrote a full 2000pt list).

There's nothing wrong the falchions, and having the extra attacks are nice. Nothing wrong with halberds either for a compromise. S7 might make a difference against other characters or MCs, but that's really the only thing I can think of with them.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I believe I remember reading that a Comms Relay could be purchased WITHOUT the Aegis, making it even cheaper... a piece of battlefield debris or some such. I dunno. My own army list went with the full Aegis, but I also was throwing Vindicaires behind the wall, possibly. Dreadnoughts too, in some version (I wrote a full 2000pt list).
I don't think you can - the cheapest way to get a Comms Relay that I can see is the Aegis Line, closely followed by the Bastion which would be even more awkward to use.

There's nothing wrong the falchions, and having the extra attacks are nice. Nothing wrong with halberds either for a compromise. S7 might make a difference against other characters or MCs, but that's really the only thing I can think of with them.
Good to know, thanks. Str7 would be lovely against Monstrous Creatures and Characters if they weren't already Strength 6 Force and a Str10 AP2 Force hammer in each squad - forcing an extra wound through is fairly irrelevant when every attack instakills! That said, 2pts for Str5 over Str4 makes casting Hammerhand less of a requirement when fighting infantry, so there's something to be said for them (whatever infantry's left after those Purifiers...).

EDIT: This thread's been and gone, but just for anyone who catches it while browsing the archives: the basic theory of the army doesn't actually work as Purifiers don't have Deep Strike and therefore don't really work with the Nemesis Strike Force.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts